ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-20-2021   #131
Erik

Default Re: On the Road Again - Purple ZR-1 Road Trip to Utah

I was coming here to post the same questions as Jeff. I don't find the ZR-1 to be noisy at all. Yes, you are not cut off from everything mechanical as you are in a modern car, but it's hardly what I'd call noisy. In fact, I wish there was a little more sound from the exhaust.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021   #132
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
Day 26: On Saturday we drove from Columbus to our home in Westminster, Maryland. No problems and a nice drive. It is good to be home.

26 days, eleven states, 5,878 miles.

Jim
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. It certainly has inspired me!

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021   #133
goodman770

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Goodman,

May I ask what exhaust? As for wind noise your windows might need adjustment. I have very minimal noise in my 1990. As for exhaust noise depending what system you have makes a difference
The previous owner said it was stock, but I'm doubtful. I haven't had much of a chance to look just yet but I'll try this week. At 75/80 mph the wind, tire and exhaust note were just too loud to really even listen to the radio. It was better/worse depending on the road. I will say that the seats after 13 hours were just amazing...no discomfort at all during the trip, which is amazing.

The exhaust note at normal cruising speeds is glorious. It really sounds like a big block to me.
goodman770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021   #134
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman770 View Post
The previous owner said it was stock, but I'm doubtful. I haven't had much of a chance to look just yet but I'll try this week. At 75/80 mph the wind, tire and exhaust note were just too loud to really even listen to the radio. It was better/worse depending on the road. I will say that the seats after 13 hours were just amazing...no discomfort at all during the trip, which is amazing.

The exhaust note at normal cruising speeds is glorious. It really sounds like a big block to me.
C4s and most Corvettes are a bit noisy with their fiberglass construction and large tires right behind your head. A loud exhaust (or one that drones) will aggravate that. If you could post a picture of your exhaust tips we could probably tell if your exhaust is stock or not. And if you have an aftermarket exhaust without catalytic converters it will be louder than stock. I was able to mellow out the sound of both my ZR-1s and my current Z06 by installing the sound deadener Dynamat behind the seats and in the hatch area. Only a slight improvement but noticeable to me. (some folks have removed the seats and installed it throughout the cabin). On my Z06 I got my Dynamat and asked the local Best Buy's audio installation department to install it and they did it for only $100 but they really should have charged more. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021   #135
goodman770

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
C4s and most Corvettes are a bit noisy with their fiberglass construction and large tires right behind your head. A loud exhaust (or one that drones) will aggravate that. If you could post a picture of your exhaust tips we could probably tell if your exhaust is stock or not. And if you have an aftermarket exhaust without catalytic converters it will be louder than stock. I was able to mellow out the sound of both my ZR-1s and my current Z06 by installing the sound deadener Dynamat behind the seats and in the hatch area. Only a slight improvement but noticeable to me. (some folks have removed the seats and installed it throughout the cabin). On my Z06 I got my Dynamat and asked the local Best Buy's audio installation department to install it and they did it for only $100 but they really should have charged more. --Bob
This isn't my car, but it's what the exhaust looks like:

Old 06-29-2021   #136
Matt B

Maybe we should open a new threat on that topic to not highjack this great threat here.
In Evans threat he says "Sold my Steel Blue 391 ZR-1...". I understood this as an indication of a modified engine, 391ci instead of 350. Am I wrong? If so this might be an indication for more engine growl.
My bone stock 91 is a great highway cruiser even way beyond 80 miles an hour (thanks God we're still allowed to). My 335 Michelin rear tires are barely noticeable, as are exhaust and engine at cruising speed. Of course all this changes when you floor the pedal, but not on steady cruise. She's not at all a silent car but far away from requiring earplugs on long runs.
Excessive tire noise might (but doesn't have to) be a sign of hardened or worn out bushings or worn tires with sawtooth profile.

Sent from my SM-G991B using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ZR-1 #638/1991

Last edited by Matt B; 06-29-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021   #137
goodman770

Agreed...sorry, wasn't trying to derail the thread. I read the whole thing prior to picking mine up.
Old 07-03-2021   #138
BlackSheepz

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post

We did not know that I-65 through Indianapolis was completely closed. We had to back-track on I-70 a little to get onto the beltway around the city on I-485 to get back on I-65 North.
First of all I'm SO excited to have signed on and seen that you two were back on the road. It's literally the reason I signed on to the forum just now was to see if that might be the case. Excited to read the chronicles this time around.

Secondly, I wish I'd signed on about two months sooner....... I would have seen your trip start and I'd have been able to TELL you that Indianapolis is F**KED. Indiana state flower is the orange road cone now. Living here has been difficult this year.
1990 ZR-1 #2530

1992 LT1 6 speed

Gone but not forgotten:
1988 Z52 4+3

BlackSheepz is offline   Reply With Quote