ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-12-2016   #1
8cam

Default ZR-1 vs Shelby

Ok either the ZR-1 is about the size of an MG, or the Shelby is an RV! Ok not quite that bad, but it sure felt like my car was dwarfed by the GT350. A friend brought his new toy by today and I got to drive it. Holy cow what an amazing car, and yes absolutely pastes my old vette. Loved it.

'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #2
Kevin

Default Re: ZR-1 vs Shelby

my mazda 6 "Feels" small...I had a c4 behind me yesterday, could only see the top of the windshield.
Old 06-13-2016   #3
8cam

Standing next to it, with the Z ahead, it was shocking just how large it looked. The Z looked like a Miata...a very wide Miata.

The sound is otherworldly, fantastic. That flat-crank V8 sounds like a crazed animal, especially off-throttle with all the spits and pops (sport mode is awesome). It really does sound like a much bigger version of my 308's V8. I only drove it for about 15 minutes, and it's still in the break-in period so I didn't go much over 5k rpm, but even then it's just astounding. The turn-in is super-responsive and will grab quickly if you're not careful. The clutch is a little strange, with resistance in the first inch, and then it's like tissue paper, very light, with a pinpoint engagement. Nothing like the progressive clutch in the Corvette. Oh and the brakes are RIGHT NOW.

Honestly I loved it, and if I was new car shopping in the $60-70k range, this would be a strong contender. Absolutely amazing car. It was a fun afternoon.

I will say it's also amazing how well the ZR-1 compares, being 26 years old. It's clearly a bit slower in all respects, but the steering turn-in and feel is pretty similar. The seat/steering wheel/pedal relationship is surprisingly similar, and those Recaro seats feel almost exactly like the 90 sport seats.

The real kicker will be when he brings it to the next autocross and we can compare notes. I fully expect him to be a lot quicker, but it'll be fun to run after him.
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-13-2016   #4
ZR-1 Franz

When this Shelby is so fantastic, why doesn't anybody try (the Ford company included)
to get the world records the ZR-1 was able to get?
I know, Volkswagen got them, in some way the same way they manipulated their
diesel cars. Nice company! Not gentlemen like!

Franz
Old 06-13-2016   #5
Vette73

True the ZR1 set records for top speed for a given amount of hours but in the real world how often are we going to put those claims to the test? None....

I think what he was trying to get at was in the real world of driving- acceleration, braking,driving aggressive for a half a mile or so, the Shelby just left the Z behind....

It's understandable due to the technology that we have gained in the past two decades...
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #6
G8nightman

True should compare a 90 mustang to a 90 Z :-)
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #7
rush91

I got to ride along in a new Shelby last weekend. It was as you described....An assault on the senses. When the exhaust was changed from the default to the track mode, OH my GOODNESS!!! The sound was incredibly NASCAR like, wake the dead, and lovely!!
Seeing them parked next to each other, reminds me how far ahead of its time the ZR-1 was. And to me, it still looks like something out of the future.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #8
Fully Vetted

In a lot of ways this new Shelby is doing the same thing the ZR-1 did in '90. They are taking a current platform and putting a stand alone engine unavailable in any other car and upgrading the rest of the car around it. The new 5.2L FPC engine in the Shelby is every bit as ground breaking as the LT5 was back then. Dollar for dollar the LT5 cost a lot more to develop but every analogy breaks down at some point. Kudos to Ford engineers for having the balls to tell the bean counters to get out of their sandbox.

De'ja' vue all over again...

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016   #9
8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
In a lot of ways this new Shelby is doing the same thing the ZR-1 did in '90. They are taking a current platform and putting a stand alone engine unavailable in any other car and upgrading the rest of the car around it. The new 5.2L FPC engine in the Shelby is every bit as ground breaking as the LT5 was back then. Dollar for dollar the LT5 cost a lot more to develop but every analogy breaks down at some point. Kudos to Ford engineers for having the balls to tell the bean counters to get out of their sandbox.

De'ja' vue all over again...
BINGO.

Of course the Shelby is faster than the ZR-1 everywhere, it's 26 years newer! Hard to find published top speed numbers, but I'd bet it's well in excess of 180mph. 1/4 mile times look slightly quicker, but where it shines is on a road course, where it will absolutely walk away. My time was limited and couldn't really push it, but the feel was outstanding.

And yes, real world driving is a whole real world different too, but again...26 years newer. The old Z holds up pretty damn well, and is still an outstanding car.

Cool to see a manufacturer build a car with a radical engine, designed to take down far more expensive competition, and still practical enough to drive every day. Sounds familiar.
Black/Gray
Old 06-15-2016   #10
Fully Vetted

I passed one absolutely identical to this one this morning. It was like 2:30 and I was wondering what the heck he was doing out at that time a night during the week. Then it dawned on me. That's the perfect time to drive one. Man, I wished I'd been in my car...

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote