ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-22-2017   #1
TealZR1

Default 91 ZR1 - Latest Issue

See Pic - just developed an oil leak coming from the read end of the oil pan - leaves a decent size puddle of oil after it's done. Looking closely appears to be a pin hole developed? But possibly a bad gasket. See pic and let me know of any suggestions to look for. 62K miles. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil .JPG (142.0 KB, 66 views)
TealZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017   #2
A26B

Default Re: 91 ZR1 - Latest Issue

Pan bolts tend to loosen over time. Tighten all M8 pan bolts to 23ft-lbs. The remaining 3 M6 bolts in the very front are hard to get to without removing the K-members. Proper torque for them is 89 in-lbs.

Try tightening all of the M8 pan bolts first to see if that helps. If you still see any leaks at the front of the pan, then pursue the M6 bolt tightening process.

If leaks persist, it will require a new pan gasket.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017   #3
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I feel your pain! One other source USED TO BE seepage from the breather box and hoses, under the plenum. New gaskets and blue Loctite and hoses eliminated that. No more oil collecting in the valley after that, so nothing going down the drain tube...

That leaves the rear main seal and the pan gasket, I guess.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017   #4
TealZR1

Thanks Paul and Jerry. And Jerry, I understand you're the gasket king which I may be a calling.
The car literally went one day with no drips of oil to last week a good size puddle larger than a hand every time I take it out for a drive. The leak is in the back of the oil pan. Could this be an issue with a bad gasket coming out of nowhere and going bad quickly? Thanks again
Old 04-22-2017   #5
QB93Z

Another possible source of that much oil is the rear crankshaft seal. Jerry has them.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017   #6
32valvesftw

Clean that area really good with WD40 and then see where the leak is coming from. Mine went away after retightening the pan bolts, there is a torque sequence that needs to be followed.

Last edited by 32valvesftw; 04-22-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: torque
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017   #7
jss06c6

You really need to clean it up well, then drive it and check it. Critical that you find the source, then we can fix it. My '91 developed a leak at the oil pressure sending unit at the front/passenger side, which blew back across the pan and left a good puddle..

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017   #8
TealZR1

Thanks JSS, mine does develop a good size puddle that came out of nowhere three days ago. I cleaned it up well and the drip ends up at the passenger side rear oil pan. However, I do not have access to a lift and cannot see where it started. At this point a guess.but with this big of a puddle, it has to be worse than a bad gasket or loose bolt on the oil pan

Can I visually access the oil sending unit from above? About where do I start looking for this unit?Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2017   #9
TealZR1

Default Re: 91 ZR1 - Latest Issue Oil Leak

I am the original Poster - After getting the car up on the lift at the shop, appears the oil leak is coming from the "oil vent/drain tube" on the oil pan. Did I read that comes from somewhere/something under the plenum? The pic shows it could be there. Thanks

Last edited by TealZR1; 04-26-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2017   #10
Dynomite

Default Re: 91 ZR1 - Latest Issue Oil Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealZR1 View Post
I am the original Poster - After getting the car up on the lift at the shop, appears the oil leak is coming from the "oil vent/drain tube" on the oil pan. Did I read that comes from somewhere/something under the plenum? The pic shows it could be there. Thanks
That Tube is what is called.....the Valley Drain.

You have to remove the Plenum, the Coils, and the Starter to get to the Valley Drain (to clean everything). Good to know your Valley Drain is not clogged. Under the Plenum could be Injector Housing gaskets (tighten Injector Housing Bolts), Crankcase Cover (tighten Crankcase Cover Bolts or new gaskets).

If any bolts appear loose when re-tightening......I just remove the bolts, clean the threads and apply blue Loctite before re-installing the bolts. If I replace the gaskets........I Clean the surfaces and use a bit of Permatex on the gaskets (both sides) for a good oil seal.

I also Block TB Coolant at the Injector Housings and use nothing on the Plenum Gasket since no oil or coolant is involved in that seal.

It is all in my signature

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-26-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote