ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > Cleaning and Waxing

Old 01-27-2008   #1
rogerzr1

Default Inside wheel well cleaning

What do you guys use to clean the shocks, brakes, suspension, and calipers. Next time I raise the car I am goint to take of the wheels and try and clean inside the wheel well. I just don't want to use something that might damage any parts.
91 ZR-1 #391
rogerzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #2
4DSZR1

Default Re: Inside wheel well cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerzr1
What do you guys use to clean the shocks, brakes, suspension, and calipers. Next time I raise the car I am goint to take of the wheels and try and clean inside the wheel well. I just don't want to use something that might damage any parts.
Hi Roger,

I use an old but clean, yellow microfiber cloth that I soaked and wring out for the plastic wheel well liners. The good thing about the MF towels is they are strong and I can use long dowels to poke them into places during the anal fits of detailing I seem to have too often.
For the shocks, you dont want to use something too strong as the paint Bilstein uses seems to be a little tender. What I like there is the presoaked cleaning towels from ArmourAll. After they are clean I use a cheap cleaner wax and give them a nice shine.

For the calipers I carefully use spray brake cleaner and a soft stainless steel brush.
4DSZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #3
rogerzr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DSZR1
Hi Roger,

I use an old but clean, yellow microfiber cloth that I soaked and wring out for the plastic wheel well liners. The good thing about the MF towels is they are strong and I can use long dowels to poke them into places during the anal fits of detailing I seem to have too often.
For the shocks, you dont want to use something too strong as the paint Bilstein uses seems to be a little tender. What I like there is the presoaked cleaning towels from ArmourAll. After they are clean I use a cheap cleaner wax and give them a nice shine.

For the calipers I carefully use spray brake cleaner and a soft stainless steel brush.
What do you use to clean the support arms of the suspension.

I would love it if some day mine could look even close to what yours looks like.
91 ZR-1 #391
Old 01-28-2008   #4
djpatrick35

The suspension arms literally just wipe off with a wet microfiber cloth like he said. It's pretty amazing but nothing seems to stick to those. The only problem is trying to get the towel in tight places.
[B]1990 Black ZR-1 #2212[/B] Totaled... :(
[B]2007 Z51 'vert :mrgreen:[/B]
[B]1988 35th Ann. Edition #962[/B] (Sold...) :cry:
djpatrick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #5
rogerzr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpatrick35
The suspension arms literally just wipe off with a wet microfiber cloth like he said. It's pretty amazing but nothing seems to stick to those. The only problem is trying to get the towel in tight places.
That may be the case in a well taken care of car. Man, have I taken on quite a project. My car has 93,000 miles on it and it looks like it has never been cleaned in the wheel well. I am going to clean this car up, but what a mess. She will never look as good as most of the pictures of the cars I have seen on the registry, but I am going to do the best that I can.

I appreciate all the advice and help. Thanks.
91 ZR-1 #391
Old 01-29-2008   #6
4DSZR1

Thanks for the compliment Roger.

I use Nevrdull on the aluminum. I like it because it doesn't use abrasive to polish so the sharp detail is left sharp. Its a dirty job so wear your latex gloves

http://www.properautocare.com/nevrdull.html
4DSZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #7
bldavis11

No great shakes on the wheel well cleaning. Here's a few tips that I had to learn the hard way. Someone had driven my car through what looks to be wet tar. Getting that crap off of the wheel well molding is a PITA. I purchased a multipurpose gets-everything-out cleaner from Wal-Mart (Goo-Gone or something like that). I took apart the whole wheel well assembly and started working each piece over with a rag. It took quite some time, but eventually it was all clean.

To knock the junk off the suspension components, I used a liberal amount of break cleaner and a stiff plastic bristle brush. I just kept after it with break cleaner and most of it came right off. After the nasty stuff was done, I went to Simple Green for the rest of the it.

I used the Mothers Aluminum and Mag polish with great results. I've also had good luck with the NeverDull product. Take before and after pics for us!
bldavis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #8
RICKYRJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DSZR1
Thanks for the compliment Roger.

I use Nevrdull on the aluminum. I like it because it doesn't use abrasive to polish so the sharp detail is left sharp. Its a dirty job so wear your latex gloves

http://www.properautocare.com/nevrdull.html
Nice link, I just checked it out and they carry some of the top of the line detailing products. User support seems strong as well. Thanks
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #9
RICKYRJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerzr1
What do you use to clean the support arms of the suspension.

Use the Mothers metal polish with 0000 steel wool.
I would love it if some day mine could look even close to what yours looks like.
Just when I think my car is clean, someone has to post a pic like this. On my way out to the garage to step up my game. Can you post a pic of the front side of your wheels? If the backs look that good I need to see the fronts.=D>
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #10
bldavis11

I have done business with both properautocare.com as well as autogeek.net. I've had good experiences with both. Properautocare is based in Tampa where as AutoGeek is somewhere in South Florida (West Palm Beach maybe?). The shipping is fast and everything's been as advertised. The more you look into this whole aspect of cars, the more you realize that a good number of the products are actually just the same thing repackaged. You'll need to pick up brand name stuff to know you're getting something different.

The off-label suff isn't bad at all though! I've had fantastic results with the autogeek house brand stuff.
bldavis11 is offline   Reply With Quote