ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-05-2021   #91
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: On the Road Again - Purple ZR-1 Road Trip to Utah

Are you pulling the whole dash pad to get to that motor? Isn't it at the top of the dash?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021   #92
dredgeguy

I have faith in you Jim, it shall be so!!! Good luck and hoping you stay cool. I remember what it was like driving home from BG with a non-working AC compressor, not fun.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021   #93
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Are you pulling the whole dash pad to get to that motor? Isn't it at the top of the dash?
I only have to remove the fuse panel trim and the passenger knee pad to get to the Blend Door Motor. On the later model cars, the Motor is on the bottom of the air duct box, much easier to get to.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021   #94
-=Jeff=-

Ok, just like the 89-older. Well that seems reasonable. I know this isn't your first rodeo with that motor. What is the actual cause of it going 'bad' or not working correctly? Is it gwear binding or the motor itself
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021   #95
Erik

Incredibly inspiring journey. I've thought of a long journey with mine, but wasn't totally comfortable with the idea yet. AC issues notwithstanding, you are inspiring me to plan a road trip.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021   #96
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Ok, just like the 89-older. Well that seems reasonable. I know this isn't your first rodeo with that motor. What is the actual cause of it going 'bad' or not working correctly? Is it gwear binding or the motor itself
Good question... This is the second ZR-1 Blend Door Motor that I have had problems with. My 1994 ZR-1 had AC problems that came down to a pinched vacuum line that operates the flappers that direct the air between the windshield (up), the AC outlets (in your face AC), or to the floor for heat. I started chasing this because the Blend Door Motor was rusted solid and not working at all. It was probably stuck in a mid position... always suppling mixed heated and cooled air.

My current problem with my 1995 ZR-1 started suddenly and was obviously a Blend Door Motor problem when the thermostat was set at 60 degrees it blew hot air out the AC vents at highest fan speed. My first troubling shooting attempt was to remove the blower fan rheostat so I could see the Blend Door. Note: this opening to see the Blend Door is in the top of the air box, under the fuel lines, next to the coolant fill cap. No matter what the thermostat required, the Blend door did not move. So I suspected a frozen BDM shaft, or a stuck BD Motor.

So I removed the dash panel and removed the BDM from the BD shaft. I tested the BDM by starting the car and watching the BDM. When the car is started, the HVAC computer drives the BDM to full heat and then to full cool. The computer uses the position sensor data to operate the door. In my case the BDM moved slowly and did not seem to go full travel, but is was operating. I reinstalled it and cycled it several times by running the thermostat up and down. It seemed to be moving the door, so I reassembled. The next day it did not work at all, always blowing full fan speed of heated air at the AC vents.

I completely removed the BDM again and decided to try to position the Blend Door to Cool and use a wedge to hold it in place. This worked that evening but did not work the next Morning. I cannot determine why that didn't work, but I needed to get the AC working as it was 100 degrees in MOAB, not do a research project.

I dis-assembled the BDM and tried to lubricate the moving parts and put it back in place. The AC worked properly for 5 cool-to-heat cycles on Saturday evening, but did not work the first time I turned it on Sunday Morning. We went for a hike and got back to the car and the AC ran properly, nice and cold.

SO... I am not sure what is going on.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

WAZOO Member
Old 06-06-2021   #97
Jagdpanzer

If you had to could pinch off the flow of one of the heater coolant hoses?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021   #98
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
If you had to could pinch off the flow of one of the heater coolant hoses?
Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
I thought of that Phil. I stopped at a NAPA store in Moab and bought a $32 hose clamp but I couldn't find a position that reduced the hot air in to the cabin. The clamp was fairly large and it limited where I could put it without interfering with the hood.

I also considered trying to reach in and block the motion of the Blend Door, but I was concerned about my "wedge" would come loose and end up somewhere in the AC ducts.

When I was operating with the Blend Door shaft wedged and the BDM not plugged in, the green system light on the HVAC controller was flashing. I don't remember what that means, I assumed it signaled a missing position value.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

WAZOO Member
Old 06-06-2021   #99
QB93Z

Day 20: Early Sunday Morning we left Blanding and headed for Natural Bridges National Monument.

The primary difference between a National Monument and a National Park lies in the reason for preserving the land: National Parks are protected due to their scenic, inspirational, education, and recreational value. National monuments have objects of historical, cultural, and/or scientific interest, so their content is quite varied.

The NBNM is open 24 hours a day but the Visitor Center is closed due to COVID. At certain times, a Park Ranger is available for touring advice outside the Visitor Center.

We drove south on US-191 and turned West on UT-95, a Scenic Byway. While posing for our "photo at the sign" event, I discovered that the beautiful stone arch above the sign board is not stone. It is fiber glass.

Some of the land along UT-95 is used for Open Range cattle grazing:

The scenery along UT-95 and US-191 is breathtaking. There is a wide variety of scenery types:

to be continued.......
Old 06-06-2021   #100
QB93Z

The NBNM is a single, one-way road that circles all of the sights, look overs, and hiking trail heads. It is very easy to visit without concern that you missed something. The roads, turn outs parking areas and trails are all in excellent condition.

We hiked to the canyon bottom at Sipapu Natural Bridge. There were several birds species in the canyon. If you can identify these large birds, let me know. They were enjoying sun:

I was fascinated by this old, old tree trunk. It was long past its life time but the trunk was twisted in a manner that must have made it very strong:

Our destination:

Heading back to Blanding, a beautiful Open Road picture:

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

WAZOO Member