ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-31-2013   #11
A26B

Default Re: Transmission/clutch whine when clutch is NOT pushed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
..... If the flywheel housing was removed and the transmission is from another car it may not like the orientation to the center-line of the crankshaft. I've never seen it mentioned when doing anything with an LT5 but what about offset flywheel housing dowels**

** is there dowels?

Just askin'
Yep, its doweled
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #12
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricale View Post
Jerry,

Dont know if thats the problem,..but cant hurt to have one,

Get me a price for both pilot and throw out bearings.
Can only wish I had a quality throwout bearing. Sorry

I wasn't implying the problem was a pilot bushing.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #13
oricale

WVZR-1

• clutch operated good with no noise last week
  • clutch bell housing was not removed
  • 32000 mile tranny had no issues
  • serviced with Pennzoil synchro mesh gm fluid before installation
  • original tranny had #3 synchro bad( would pop out of gear in 3rd
  • then clutch slave failed, so I replaced master,slave and line
[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2006[/COLOR] BLK/BLK Z51 (Just SICK FAST!)SOLD)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1996 BLK/BLK LT4 Grnsprt(sold...Twice!)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1991 RED/REDL98(Fell off the shipping truck:([/I][/B]
[B][I]1980 BLK/RED L82(Sold)[/I][/B]
[B][I][B][I]1990[/I][/B] RED/BLK(sold.....In Japan)[/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

[B][I]WAZOO Member...[/I][/B]

[url]www.evolution-motorsport.com[/url]

facebook/evolutionmotorsportengineering

Your Local [url]www.Amsoil.com[/url] dealer/user..

*Victory Loves Preparation*
oricale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #14
WVZR-1

Then there's only the fork to pivot stud to be concerned with if all was well last week, unless you managed to maybe do something to the release bearing mount to the pressure plate fingers.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-01-2013 at 12:12 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #15
VetteVet

I would change out the Pennzoil fluid with the Castrol TWS 10W-60 stuff. That seems to solve a lot of problems.

Jep
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #16
tomtom72

Okay, I can't find the write up, but a whine from the trans when in neutral & motor running. The write up was in a series of tables that were labeled "common issues" and another table that was a symptom and cause table. They used to be on our mother ship in the maintenance section, but that was under the old format.

Anyway, if I remember correctly GM's answer as to why there is a whine in neutral, motor running, clutch pedal up was the gears were straight cut vs beveled cut. The important part was that GM said it was normal.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #17
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Mine is a 90 with straight-cut gears, and I have no whine that I'm aware of, before or after installing the Fidanza FW and new PP, TB, and pilot bushing (from AutoZone).

I do know from working with an LT1 car that if the shim plate (LT1 cars) is the least bit other than perfectly flat that whine from the ZF can result and bad things happen to the input bearing.

Well, the ZR-1 does not have that shim plate, but if for any reason the trans is not properly squared with the bell housing, or the housing had been removed or loosened and for some reason askew...?

Bill Boudreau at ZFdoc,com might be able to shed some light. AND, he's the one recommending the Castrol TWS 10W-60 for the ZF.

Like I said...mine doesn't whine when idling/clutch out - FWIW.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #18
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricale View Post
WVZR-1

• clutch operated good with no noise last week
  • clutch bell housing was not removed
  • 32000 mile tranny had no issues
  • serviced with Pennzoil synchro mesh gm fluid before installation
  • original tranny had #3 synchro bad( would pop out of gear in 3rd
  • then clutch slave failed, so I replaced master,slave and line
Let's make sure I have this understood, this list implies that the 32K transmission is a NEW INSTALL to this car? Is that correct or was it in there previously? It's difficult to determine. If the transmission that is in there now was there last week it's pretty much I'd think as I posted last evening, there's something askew with the fork, stud or release bearing or a combination. I would think my earlier suggestion of the stethoscope would help there.

If this is the first time this 32K transmission has been installed in this car you do the R&R and confirm the works, every bit of it. I won't comment on your choice of lubricants, it's pretty much the choice of the owner. I don't believe it would have anything to do with your situation anyway. The transmission should not have issues at idle clutch out. I feel a little "stupid" not catching the "NOT" in the thread title.

Either way first install for this transmission or if it were there last week with no issues I believe you're in for another R & R. Did the transmission get away from you at anytime when you were removing which ever one or installing the one that's there? If it got away from you who knows.

I'd check it with the stethoscope, maybe loosen the pressure plate bolts in the car, rotate the trans main-shaft & input shaft using the rear wheels manually several rotations tighten it all back up and fire it up!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-01-2013 at 11:32 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #19
oricale

alright!!!...I took the car out for a long test drive of about 30 min in all conditions up to 75 MPH

Here is what I see:

• Whine seems to come from tranny
  • only in the first 3 gears CANNOT hear it after 3rd
  • shifts good(albeit) with a ripper shifter its very notchy
  • clutch releases about 2 inches from bottom of travel position
  • do not feel any issues other than whine from 1-3rd
I may need to bleed the clutch a bit...could have a slowly failing release bearing...because the normal grab is much sooner than the white car...HOWEVER I drove this car from NC and that was the way it always was...BUT the clutch was failing so I thought that was an indication...other than that car feels good, other than the other little issues I am working...

The whine sounds akin to being on a bus...NOT loud or anything just the same kind of whine.

so!....????
[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2006[/COLOR] BLK/BLK Z51 (Just SICK FAST!)SOLD)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1996 BLK/BLK LT4 Grnsprt(sold...Twice!)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1991 RED/REDL98(Fell off the shipping truck:([/I][/B]
[B][I]1980 BLK/RED L82(Sold)[/I][/B]
[B][I][B][I]1990[/I][/B] RED/BLK(sold.....In Japan)[/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

[B][I]WAZOO Member...[/I][/B]

[url]www.evolution-motorsport.com[/url]

facebook/evolutionmotorsportengineering

Your Local [url]www.Amsoil.com[/url] dealer/user..

*Victory Loves Preparation*

Last edited by oricale; 08-01-2013 at 01:59 PM.
oricale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #20
Jagdpanzer

Could be the thin washer in the throwout bearing which retains the bearing. With the clutch ingaged the washer might be coming in contact with the back side of of the spinning outer shell which is retained in the pressure plate spring fingers by the wire retainer. You can confirm next time you drive by putting you foot on the clutch peddle and apply enough force to take out the slack in the TB without fully disingauging the clutch. I tested this tonight by taking the TB I just remove from my car and chucked it up on the lathe and spun it up to 2000 rpm. When slack you could deffenently hear the sliding contact noise which went away when tension was applied. Hope this helps.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote