ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-18-2014   #1
5ABI VT

Default Photo of Vacum lines After removing secondaries 1994 !!

I have to admit this part of the job when pulling the plenum nearly scared me to death. It was a total maze of hoses and it was a contributing factor in me going so slow for sure just because it was a little disheartening thinking about trying to put it all back together

I asked several people and thanks to everyone for the input. I just wanted to share a photo and ask if this looks right? and leave it here for anyone looking to do the removal in the future to know how simple it really is (assuming its right )

ANyhow, about to put the fuel rails/injectors on tonight and the plenum too. I did do a little rerouting (my secrets out ) that I had intended for a while but I still plan to do a lot of rerouting of vaccum lines etc underhood to get the engine bay looking the way I want. Of course the triple catch can setup wont be easy to hide but I have a few ideas.

SO for the photo.. I tried highlighting all the remaining stuff under the plenum. This is majorly simple now in my mind (as most things after doing it once its all downhill from there) I noticed a few 90 degree bends had cracks and I swapped from some of the removed lines and then on most connections used some adhesive backed shrink wrap with the thought that if there was any vaccum leak the adhesive would fill any cracks etc.

Look right to you guys? Definitely simplifies things under the plenum ! I kept looking for photos thinking there was more
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014   #2
Scrrem

Default Re: Photo of Vacum lines After removing secondaries 1994 !!

Yeah, that looks about right. That is what I am looking forward to when I get my new motor in (with no secondaries). I have also removed all the air pump sytem stuff too, but sill need to get the secondary vacum pump and lines out. I did break a vacum line going to the criuse control, need to find a way to repair that.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014   #3
secondchance

I got rid of Evap also.
Mine is a 94 as well.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

A LOT less cluttered with the evap and secondaries stuff outta thar!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014   #5
Dynomite

Default Keep the Secondaries Functional

Ya.....But.......it turns out that fixing Secondary Vacuum leaks is pretty simple and only takes a few minutes (that is including removing the Plenum)

But you got to have your TB Coolant Blocked at the Injector Housings both sides which is a pretty simple modification.

My secondaries function perfectly and probably will be maintenance free for a long time as there really is not much to go wrong.

I happen to like that Functional Full Power Key which is one of the unique features of ANY ZR-1

Same goes with the Charcoal Canisters which I installed new Canisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-18-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014   #6
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Keep the Secondaries Functional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Ya.....But.......it turns out that fixing Secondary Vacuum leaks is pretty simple and only takes a few minutes (that is including removing the Plenum)
Secondaries? SECONDARIES??? WEE DOAN NEED NO STEEKING SECONDARIES!!

Besides...where would you put them little bastards, anywho? (The ball = 37.5, but the "hole" is tapered. The opening was opened to ≈ 38.0 ish.)

Quote:
But you got to have your TB Coolant Blocked at the Injector Housings both sides which is a pretty simple modification.
Yep! Chops off a good 20 minutes, waiting for the antifreeze to drain a bit, and then reinstalling it...WITHOUT no steeking air pockets...

Quote:
My secondaries function perfectly and probably will be maintenance free for a long time as there really is not much to go wrong.
Randy Travis sang it best (about secondary delete...)

Go on, go on
'Til you've reach the end of the line
'Cause I know you'll pass my way again
It's just a matter of time

Yep...My secondaries work perfectly...NEVER fail...NEVER need servicing...(don't exist, tho I keep the POWER switch around for a conversation piece** )

Quote:
I happen to like that Functional Full Power Key which is one of the unique features of ANY ZR-1

Quote:
Same goes with the Charcoal Canisters which I installed new Canisters.
Mine, being a '90, WAS in the front driver's corner...the corner that got smushed in my little flying (or rather LANDING) episode. Gone forever now!

**Note: The 90s use a mechanical switch with all the lovely advantages (HA!) of contacts and spring tension and dirt which was replaced by a PCM latch in 91+ cars. IF the POWER switch were to open, and shut the secondaries off on a "secondary-delete" car, a serious lean condition would result, as half of the fuel would be shut off. Soooooo.... I hard-wired the dang thing so that the switch function is bypassed: NO chance of the secondaries being shut off by that switch through accident or mechanical reasons, boy-yo-boy!
You'd LOVE the throttle response with the 2nd's open all the time, I'll betcha!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 12-19-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014   #7
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post

Clean Clean Clean Paul !
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014   #8
5ABI VT

Evap is something that can be tuned out I think ? I'm not sure if I had asked for it to be turned off but I can't really see much of an advantage from not having the line be drawn Into the plenum vs leaving the line to vent open ?
Old 12-18-2014   #9
5ABI VT

On second thought.. Both of those big lines are eliminated by turning it off. Hmm.. What did you do with the hose ? Vent it at the rear or plug it ?
Old 12-19-2014   #10
Hog

Question: Why are you guys deleting the TB coolant supply?

I remember the supposedly cooler intake charge, but there was a more relevant reason that I cant remember.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote