ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-23-2020   #1
S.hafsmo

Default Replacing the Bose speakers

I've just installed a Sony XAV-AX3005DB (no mods required) and for a moment I could enjoy music once more. But only for a moment, until one of the Bose amps crapped out. From what I've read the market is pretty much exhausted for these, and even the latest Maxima amps are getting quite old.

I am now considering to either install a crossover in each front speaker and use the amp in the headunit (will the 2-ohm speakers kill it?) or replacing the speakers all together.

Are there any good speakers that'll fit in the original enclosures without modifications? Are there aftermarket speaker adapters available?
Old 04-24-2020   #2
S.hafsmo

Default Re: Replacing the Bose speakers

Y'all on stock speakers?
Old 04-24-2020   #3
lfalzarano

Default Replacing the Bose speakers

Left front Bose speaker was broke when I bought the car 20 years ago. Got it fixed and it lasted 10-12 years before it went up in smoke on a drive home.

The car quickly filled with smoke and I thought the engine was on fire. I could barely see out the windshield through the smoke to pull over, It wasn’t the engine after popping the hood, but it was the speaker that shorted out. I ripped the cover off to ascertain if it was still on fire under the covering, but luckily just melted away. Replaced it but from Ecklers this time and all 4 are still humming along to my songs.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by lfalzarano; 04-24-2020 at 04:41 PM.
lfalzarano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020   #4
Ccmano

CorvetteRadios.com sells amps. Not cheap but where else can you go..
https://www.corvetteradios.com/corvetteradios_012.htm

Ecklers also sells amps. But they only carry the early version 84-89. They can be used but have to be rewired.

If your handy with a soldering iron (I’m not) there are online instructions to repair them yourself. Part 1, 2 and 3.
https://youtu.be/NYgdH_ycmQQ
https://youtu.be/z5CiPEDuxJU
https://youtu.be/cH6SA0KnlzQ

H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 04-24-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020   #5
32valvesftw

The amp may not like the 2 ohm speakers, most of time it will not work out. I have some vintage home speakers that i rebulit that are 4 ohms, and I killed an Amp until I found an Onkyo receiver with a big amp in it. So far so good. But car audio receivers are generally not so robust. That said if you keep it at low volumes it will most likely be OK...for awhile. Short version you need new speakers.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020   #6
PhillipsLT5

http://www.doctordons.com/corvetteradios.htm
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020   #7
S.hafsmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
CorvetteRadios.com sells amps. Not cheap but where else can you go..

Ecklers also sells amps. But they only carry the early version 84-89. They can be used but have to be rewired.

If your handy with a soldering iron (I’m not) there are online instructions to repair them yourself. Part 1, 2 and 3.
H
Thanks Hans,
Buying new ones would probably be the easyest, but not living in the US might prove a problem if it was to turn out one or more of the restored amps didn't work properly. This solution, with 4 new amps, is also more expencive than just replacing the whole system, and probably by far inferior.

I'd attempt a repair was it not for the circuit board being melted during the previous fatal failure.

32valvesftw,
This seems to be according to what I've read the last couple days. In short, Do not use 2 Ohm speakers on an amp not rated for 2 Ohms.

Fortunatly I found a set of these, unused, in the basement.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rZEuMN...-130A1-SG.html
As well as a couple 4-channel amps, so I think I'll make an attempt on a complete speaker replacement.

Where do people hide the amp?
Old 04-25-2020   #8
32valvesftw

I have the original restored components in my car, but if I was going to do it, I would either put the amp behind the passenger seat or in one of the compartments in the back if there is room. Personally I like the amp to be somewhere that I can get to it without having to remove seats or hang upside-down in the trunk if need be, not an issue with the Vette I know.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020   #9
secondchance

I tried aftermarket 4 ohm system - Alpine 767, Alpiine DSP unit and a CD changer mated to 6 channel Sony amp. I can’t remember speaker brand but remember 4” fitted to front housing and 6.5”s in the rear. Also ran 2 x 10” JL subs. Later, I added a center channel using Eclipse rear view mirror mount unit. This was back in 1992.
Problem I ran into was the fronts. Bose front speakers are 3 or 3.5”. However, Bose custom designed the tuned port speaker housing specific to their speaker resulting in quite impressive sound level and low frequency response despite the speaker size. Only way I could make 4” 4 ohm sound decent was by blocking off the port on the housing. Result was lack of low frequency (rather reduced relative to OEM setup) up front. Also, weight gain was substantial due to impressive looking but a whopper size Sony amp.
This is why, second time around with my 94, I am using Pioneer Avic nav head unit, kept Bose enclosures and speakers, changed out front Bose amps with 97 Bose 100 watt amps, one 10” Pioneer low profile sub powered with 90s vintage Alpine V12 amp in sealed sub box.
Current system sounds far better than my first attempt converting the whole thing to 4 ohm system.

Last edited by secondchance; 04-25-2020 at 12:39 PM.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020   #10
secondchance

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-97-04-...cAAOSwKpNeUvZN

Above is a C5 Corvette 100w Bose amp I am using. However, minor mod has to be done to the front speaker housing to make it fit.

Earlier post on housing conversion.
https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26010

Last edited by secondchance; 04-25-2020 at 12:51 PM.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote