ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-16-2019   #1
rush91

Default Time capsule or headache?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Chevro...oAAOSwyTNc2iwU

I'm not sure if this is a members car, I wouldn't think so as it's listed as a '91. But clearly its a '90. Its the most factory prepped, untouched, lowest mileage Z I've ever seen....This begs the age old question. Is this a time capsule or headache??
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019   #2
We Gone

Default Re: Time capsule or headache?

Add a few $K to get it ready to drive and drive the wheels off it and enjoy.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019   #3
G8nightman

I emailed the seller pointing out that the car is a 90 and that for his Buy it now price of 85k he should have the correct year listed in the listing and he went into this big long email how he is doing a favor for the owner that he is in his death bed and this is what i get he got very defensive for no reason and then took his buy now price off the listing and mentioned its a 90.
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019   #4
KILLSHOTS

$85K!!!!! LOL!!!!! I almost bought a red on red '90 last year from a dealer in Cali. Had 84 miles on it. It wasn't "in the wrapper" like this one, but I had negotiated down to $26K and ultimately walked away because the reconditioning costs would've made my total buy-in figure much higher than the actual value of the car. (Also because I never would have driven and enjoyed it and would have owned an expensive paperweight.)

$85K!!!!! LOL!!!!!
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019   #5
Mystic ZR-1

Let’s hope they get the $....
A rising tide raises all boats

Don’t count on it though...

Gotta be the only one on the planet with the original battery?
Even if it has been on the shelf since 1990, it was activated
at the factory and useless as a battery today.
NCRS would love it, but not sure how it would get thru the PV portion
of the Top Flight? Rebuild it? You’d still lose originality points.
Probably has BG gas in the tank and BG air in the tires, always
a big plus....

Last edited by Mystic ZR-1; 05-16-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Mystic ZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019   #6
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Well it does come equipped with the optional exploding tires! ( see D/S Front )
The condition of the tires should serve as a warning about parts that you cannot see.

I always withhold comments about someone's asking price, as to the right buyer who wants nothing but THAT car, price is not as important as it is to another.
However, a buyer of a moth balled car should expect to write a check for a minimum of $3,000.00 to $6,000.00 to get such a car road ready and reliable. Do the work yourself and that number drops significantly.
Just don't fool yourself that you can take a car that has been sitting for nearly 30 years, and just turn the key and drive off.
It is also troubling that if there was confusion about 90 vs. 91, then one wonders how would this person know about the intricacies of an LT-5 Engine.
If one buys a car like this, best to buy it from a member or someone who knows these cars inside and out, and knows what needs to be done. Why buy blindly?
Truly a museum piece, and exactly where it should stay until thoroughly gone over, as opposed to "backed out of garage and started" for 30 years?
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019   #7
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
The condition of the tires should serve as a warning about parts that you cannot see.

I always withhold comments about someone's asking price, as to the right buyer who wants nothing but THAT car, price is not as important as it is to another.
However, a buyer of a moth balled car should expect to write a check for a minimum of $3,000.00 to $6,000.00 to get such a car road ready and reliable. Do the work yourself and that number drops significantly.
Just don't fool yourself that you can take a car that has been sitting for nearly 30 years, and just turn the key and drive off.
It is also troubling that if there was confusion about 90 vs. 91, then one wonders how would this person know about the intricacies of an LT-5 Engine.
If one buys a car like this, best to buy it from a member or someone who knows these cars inside and out, and knows what needs to be done. Why buy blindly?
Truly a museum piece, and exactly where it should stay until thoroughly gone over, as opposed to "backed out of garage and started" for 30 years?
Marty
I couldn’t agree more!
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019   #8
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post

Marty

When I saw the picture of that tire, I about fell out of my chair! That's just one issue you can see. And your exactly right about who knows what else hidden treasures await the buyer....
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019   #9
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Add a few $K to get it ready to drive and drive the wheels off it and enjoy.
I’d buy it in a heartbeat but not at that price. Car might hit $40,000 but it will take awhile and can’t see it going for more than that. I’d like to see where that Cobras going,looks like the real deal.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019   #10
HAWAIIZR-1

Nice time capsule for someone with the time and funds.

If I had the money, I would be more interested in the seller’s Galaxie 500 with the 427!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Ford-G...692?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote