ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-21-2024   #1
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default Heater hose return fitting replacement

Hello all,

For those who have replaced the heater hose return fitting on the remote thermostat housing, did you leave the housing assembly bolted in place during replacement?
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024   #2
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default Re: Heater hose return fitting replacement

Well the assembly looks fairly sturdy so it should be able to remain in place. Does anyone recall how many amps the fan relays are rated for? I picked up some spal fans to replace the factory fans and they are pretty beefy compared to the factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1071.jpg (177.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1068.jpg (177.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-24-2024   #3
secondchance

If your question regarding fan relay amperage rating is because of concern over Spal fan, Spal fans will run with no issue with existing relays. I am running two Spal fans.
If anything, 120 amp alternator may be underpowered. I am running 200 amp rated Quality Power alternator. Quality Power high output alternator is newer generation Nippon Denso unit in custom CNC aluminum housing to work with CS144 mounting points.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024   #4
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
If your question regarding fan relay amperage rating is because of concern over Spal fan, Spal fans will run with no issue with existing relays. I am running two Spal fans.
If anything, 120 amp alternator may be underpowered. I am running 200 amp rated Quality Power alternator. Quality Power high output alternator is newer generation Nippon Denso unit in custom CNC aluminum housing to work with CS144 mounting points.
Good to know and I also have a 200 amp alternator fitted, so the electrical demands should be covered. Do you recall the connector route you went with the spals? Figured I would ask before I start cutting up wiring. The male connectors on these as is has PA6 marking but I can only seem to locate Delphi PA66.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1069.jpg (131.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-24-2024   #5
secondchance

Spal fans I bought was from Dewitt and showed up with GM connectors. You might have to de-pin Spal connector, take a WAG, connect/run and see if the fan is running in correct direction.
200 amp alternator and Spal fans, good aluminum radiator and overheating will become a distant memory.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024   #6
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Alrighty, I am open for to some suggestions? Appropriately sized EZ out? This happened while trying to remove the plastic retainer from the heater hose. What is left of the aluminum gave up before the plastic retainer did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1072.jpg (112.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-26-2024   #7
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
Alrighty, I am open for to some suggestions? Appropriately sized EZ out? This happened while trying to remove the plastic retainer from the heater hose. What is left of the aluminum gave up before the plastic retainer did.
Do you already have the replacement nipple from Jerry?
I would remove the housing and drill/tap for his improved part.

Separate note I installed the Dewitts fans with their shroud plug n play. Well designed to seal to radiator. I need to do the 200 amp alternator upgrade, but no problems to date with stock alternators. You definitely know when the fans kick in and way louder than stock. Best wishes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7157.jpg (85.6 KB, 27 views)
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024   #8
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Hi, Craig! Oh yes, I already have the new and improved part on standby. Sure enough in Jerry?s description he mentions the factory nipple pot metal makeup and I just found that out. This stuff looks nasty inside as well. If anyone checking this thread has the factory piece in place and it starts leaking, be prepared for this same scenario if it needs to come off.

Now a major concern I have is the reservoir hose needs to come off the housing for me to turn this into a bench job. The main issue with that is I have no idea what that repro part is for that retainer holding that hose on. And if it is anything like the heater hose retainer after 30 plus years, it is coming off in pieces just like this one did. Not a fan of these type of connectors.
Old 02-26-2024   #9
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
Hi, Craig! Oh yes, I already have the new and improved part on standby. Sure enough in Jerry?s description he mentions the factory nipple pot metal makeup and I just found that out. This stuff looks nasty inside as well. If anyone checking this thread has the factory piece in place and it starts leaking, be prepared for this same scenario if it needs to come off.

Now a major concern I have is the reservoir hose needs to come off the housing for me to turn this into a bench job. The main issue with that is I have no idea what that repro part is for that retainer holding that hose on. And if it is anything like the heater hose retainer after 30 plus years, it is coming off in pieces just like this one did. Not a fan of these type of connectors.
That good to hear. Sorry, yeah I guess it?s not that easy and probably why I didn?t replace that nipple that I have on the shelf when I did my thermostat. I should have just done it then a preventative measure and only a matter of time. I hope you can resolve this with some input from others here. Best wishes.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024   #10
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Well not great news on removing what was left of the heater hose fitting. It has pretty much fused with the threads of the housing itself. At this point, I am considering drilling out the material and having an aluminum bung welded on top so the new heater hose connection can be threaded on.

I am thinking this might be the ticket, otherwise this thing is a paper weight at this point and I need to find a new housing.

https://www.amazon.com/EVIL-ENERGY-F...CHP18YPX&psc=1