ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-09-2024   #31
zyal8r

Default Re: New replacement windshields

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
I am curious?would it be possible for some with tinting experience to create a tint material template to replicate the appearance of the radar detector cutout? Something that could be applied to a regular windshield prior to installation? I know that wouldn?t satisfy the NCRS but maybe it would look right to casual observers. Or maybe just can?t be done well. Anyway just wondering. ? Bob

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Hi Bob. I took this question to a local tint shop back when I first bought my ZR-1 (August, 2021). As I've posted here in other threads, mine has got to be the absolute worst out there... at the time, I don't believe that the reproduction windshields had been announced, and David's run of them was depleted. The local shop said they could replicate the look, including the cutout. The tint would be regular window tint, and would best be done before the windshield would be installed in the car. I paused upon hearing about the new run of reproductions with the proper "sandwiched-inside" tinting... I have really been waiting to go that route, but, two years plus in, now, I am really sad I can't drive it very far. It's such an awesome car, I want so badly to drive it. I'm getting impatient, so I may end up going this route if we don't get an update soon. Of course, it will be right after I do this, that the reproductions will be released!

FWIW...

Mike
1995 ZR-1 #004 - Yellow/Black
1996 LT4 #3828 - Yellow/Beige/LT4/Z51 - 1 of 4
zyal8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024   #32
Dynomite

Windshield Delamination Poll

It appears 242 ZR1s 1990-1995 had delamination in the poll.......
The degree of delamination is mentioned in the various responses in the Poll.....

A1990 is the last response in that Delamination Poll a week ago (that would be March 2024) regarding windshields.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1990 View Post
Just a quick update on the windshields. After Corvettes of Carlisle last fall, there were several modifications that were made to the windshields that we were sent.

The VIN plate was about a half inch too high, the boarder was about a half inch too narrow and there was a line at the bottom where the boarder and the tint meet. I was hoping that these changes would not stop production but they are apparently it has.

I have not received word as of last week about when we might see them.

I will continue to pursue and let you know when I find anything out.

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-09-2024 at 10:56 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024   #33
zyal8r

It would be interesting to document serial numbers, but likely unrealistic. I've seen a few of the early '95s with problems. #10 is advertised for sale currently and it looks to have been replaced. My #4 is abysmal. I sometimes wonder if it is worse on (some) cars that are stored inside and rarely driven for most of their lives. #448 at the museum... there was a low-mile '95 AB on BaT a couple years ago (I believe it was a forum member's), there are pictures of #200 red/red for sale with nearly no miles, the list goes on. I have seen more pictures of '93/'94/'95 completely crazed over like mine than the earlier ones.

Mike
1995 ZR-1 #004 - Yellow/Black
1996 LT4 #3828 - Yellow/Beige/LT4/Z51 - 1 of 4
zyal8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024   #34
rufcar

My 90 is getting harder to see a little more every day and its in a heated garage but I do drive it as often as I can. I am giving up on waiting for a replacement and I soon plan to reschedule installing the standard Tint and be done with it. I can't imagine it will make a difference in the price if I ever sell it. There was a NOS windshield for sale on here last week but it was 2K plus shipping across the country. I don't need it that bad. Mine is solid gold covered the top 8" and appox 3" on each edge. Its too bad that when I asked the seller if it was delaminated, he said no. I believed him. Live goes on.
rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote