ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-03-2023   #11
SAB

Default Re: Brake master cylinder

I spoke with lone star about rebuilding these brake master cylinders. Unfortunately, they do not know of any kits available to rebuild them. Oh well, my original will stay on the shelf just in case it happens in the future.
SAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023   #12
max76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB View Post
I spoke with lone star about rebuilding these brake master cylinders. Unfortunately, they do not know of any kits available to rebuild them. Oh well, my original will stay on the shelf just in case it happens in the future.

Me too would need a new master cylinder but I'm dubious about the ones I see for sale because they are all overhauled (or at least I think) ... I've read that many have leak problems after a short time that they are installed.
max76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023   #13
max76

Nobody know if it's possible install a different master cylinder?
I mean that for another car that has the same fixing point, also if the design is different...
Old 01-16-2023   #14
max76

anyone make this modify?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-upgrade.html
Old 01-16-2023   #15
secondchance

My understanding is that later C4s came with slightly larger bore to increase the displacement. Pretty sure this happened before 1990 so all ZR1s has the same bore. Another change may have been when ASR was introduced.
I considered C5 master cylinder with a larger bore when I changed my brake caliper and rotors to Wilwood 6 pistons front and 4 pistons on the rear. However, input and output ports on the master was opposite side and dropped the idea. My 94 despite larger calipers works fine with OEM.
If your concern is low quality rebuild, I suggest checking out Davis Corvette. I boght a new brake master from them 3-4 years ago and looked to be OEM.

https://corvetteparts.com/catalog/Da...aster+cylinder
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023   #16
Ozruss90

Coincidentally, a guy approached me at a local car show here in Victoria a couple of weeks ago and told me he used to work at PBR in Melbourne when they were developing the brake systems for the corvette/ZR-1. He is a local guy in my town. I will contact him and try and get some more info, re crossover to another local Australian car or a kit availability

Cheers,
Russell 🇦🇺
Ozruss90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023   #17
SAB

I called Davies Corvette and they do not have rebuild kits for ZR1s. Hopefully Russell will have success with his guy in town. I would think that whoever comes up with a rebuild kit will be busy for a while.
Old 01-16-2023   #18
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB View Post
I called Davies Corvette and they do not have rebuild kits for ZR1s. Hopefully Russell will have success with his guy in town. I would think that whoever comes up with a rebuild kit will be busy for a while.
Davis only sells master assembly. For rebuild kit, try https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/1989...-105903-1.html.

Google is your best friend.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023   #19
SAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Davis only sells master assembly. For rebuild kit, try https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/1989...-105903-1.html.

Thank you for the link.
Old 01-18-2023   #20
max76

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post

This rebuilding kit is more expensive than a new (rebuilt) Master cylinder...Davies Corvette sell the correct master cylinder and seems like a new product...it's possible?