ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-23-2022   #11
max76

Default Re: Dreaded no start

I had the same problem some years ago...change the starter and the problem was solved...
max76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022   #12
Ozruss90

Only driven the car on a few short trips since putting in the new battery, but l haven?t had a problem so far. Odd, because the car started every time and never seemed to lack power while cranking at cold start.. But when hot, it would not even crank. New battery seems to have fixed the issue. Happy days🍻
Ozruss90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022   #13
mlipmd

The reason a new battery has worked so far to correct this problem is that it may put out a higher amp surge to overcome the resistance of the corroded/worn solenoid contact surfaces. The problem still emanates from the starter solenoid and the new battery has temporarily solved that issue.
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022   #14
Ozruss90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlipmd View Post
The reason a new battery has worked so far to correct this problem is that it may put out a higher amp surge to overcome the resistance of the corroded/worn solenoid contact surfaces. The problem still emanates from the starter solenoid and the new battery has temporarily solved that issue.
That ?wonder if ? thought ran through my mind as l was typing in the last post. You are probably correct that the extra power/amps of the new battery is just a temp. fix until l repair the starter.

Cheers, Russell
Old 12-24-2022   #15
Zedder94

Ozruss90, Just had the same problem mate. I just shipped a 94 ZR1 to Australia, when it came out of the container it wouldn't start. Even with a jump pack...

Installed a new battery and have not had a problem yet. Just thought id add my 2 cents mate. Good luck.

Jay.
Zedder94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022   #16
Ozruss90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder94 View Post
Ozruss90, Just had the same problem mate. I just shipped a 94 ZR1 to Australia, when it came out of the container it wouldn't start. Even with a jump pack...

Installed a new battery and have not had a problem yet. Just thought id add my 2 cents mate. Good luck.

Jay.
Hi Jay,
Good to see another Z in Oz 👍 Are you in Oz or CA ?
I still believe my problem is starter solenoid contacts, which I will rectify soon, even though it hasn?t let me down since the new battery went in. Mine always started when cold / cool, but not when hot.
Cheers,

Russell.
Old 01-02-2023   #17
Zedder94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozruss90 View Post
Hi Jay,
Good to see another Z in Oz 👍 Are you in Oz or CA ?
I still believe my problem is starter solenoid contacts, which I will rectify soon, even though it hasn?t let me down since the new battery went in. Mine always started when cold / cool, but not when hot.
Cheers,

Russell.
Russ, I live in CA but grew up in country VIC where the ZR1 is located, my father has it and will be enjoying it as soon as Rego is done.

I fear that the contacts are part of my problem too, but for the moment its working fine. I never had a problem starting it either hot or cold when i had it in CA. Anyway, anything can be fixed right?

Where are you located mate?

Jay.
Old 01-03-2023   #18
Ozruss90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder94 View Post
Russ, I live in CA but grew up in country VIC where the ZR1 is located, my father has it and will be enjoying it as soon as Rego is done.

I fear that the contacts are part of my problem too, but for the moment its working fine. I never had a problem starting it either hot or cold when i had it in CA. Anyway, anything can be fixed right?

Where are you located mate?

Jay.
Hi Jay,

I?m in Shepparton, Vic
I will be contacting Gerry?s Gaskets soon to get what l need to remove the plenum and sort the suspected problem solenoid contacts.
Will you dad have the Z sorted in time for the Corvette Nationals held in Ballarat at the end of March. Would be good to catch up with him as l will be there with my Z.

Cheers,
From the Mexican state of Victoria, Down Under
Russell.
Old 01-08-2023   #19
Zedder94

Russell, Dad is located in Wangaratta, not too far huh! Small world!

He will have it rego'd by then for sure. I will word him up and you guys should definitely meet up.
Old 05-01-2023   #20
Starman

I got caught twice by this earlier this year. Believe it was oxidation on ignition switch contacts or just dummy me not pushing the key in far enough. If it happens again, look for the security light blinking. That will kill the starter circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Starman is offline   Reply With Quote