ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-27-2015   #21
WVZR-1

Default Re: Damn oil drain plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Dave or Phil. explain the Helicoil business. I will take a close look at a couple oil pans on the bench today.
It will be obvious with a close visual, especially since you've been informed. It's magnetic also and I doubt that the OP has a corrosion situation with the plug to insert thread. I believe I realized it when the fellow who was selling the Magnetic DP had misinformation regarding the LT5 thread and I questioned him regarding it. He sent me one to try in my NOS pan to confirm the thread for him. That was a very long time ago. If you have a pan with the windage tray removed it should be more obvious. Mine is an NOS with the windage tray in place and I wouldn't remove mine for inspection.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-27-2015 at 01:32 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #22
A26B

I can also confirm the oil pan helicoil as being original. I think I even have a couple of the pan helicoils laying around somewhere.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #23
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
For everyones information the oil pan drain comes with a factory installed helicoil thread insert.
Yep Phil.....learn something new every day and makes sense that the steel ............The second photo for Dave to show a 14 mm open end flex head
Helicoil is installed to reduce wear and tear on an Aluminum Thread. ......................ratchet works perfectly on Oil Drain Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
It will be obvious with a close visual, especially since you've been informed.
It was obvious without removing the windage tray as I could see the beginning and end of the Steel Helicoil very clearly from the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
I can also confirm the oil pan helicoil as being original. I think I even have a couple of the pan helicoils laying around somewhere.
Ever run into an issue with the Oil Pan Plug being screwed into a Helicoil?

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-27-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #24
A26B

Quote:
....................Ever run into an issue with the Oil Pan Plug being screwed into a Helicoil?
No, I have not.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
Old 12-27-2015   #25
Dynomite

Quote:
No, I have not.
I never screw in the Oil Pan Plugs with all that much torque. I do use your Oil Pan sealing washer and a bit of P E R M A T E X

Was just wondering how heat would help a stuck Oil Pan Drain Plug given there is a Helicoil involved.
Old 12-27-2015   #26
A26B

Quote:
I never screw in the Oil Pan Plugs with all that much torque. I do use your Oil Pan sealing washer and a bit of P E R M A T E X
You probably dip chips in the stuff too!

Quote:
Was just wondering how heat would help a stuck Oil Pan Drain Plug given there is a Helicoil involved.
I would use a large center punch on the flange out close to the o.d. & drive it CCW. It'll come loose.
Old 12-27-2015   #27
Dynomite

Quote:
You probably dip chips in the stuff too!
You think........Just like BBQ sauce

I would use a large center punch on the flange out close to the o.d. & drive it CCW. It'll come loose.
Now we are talking.....

A steel chisel on the flange would prolly be easier to get a purchase.

Exactly how I removed Cam Cover Torx 40s with engine in car (those I screwed up with the Torx 40 driver). They were in solid but I used a steel chisel Removing Cam Covers (Engine In Car) for Inspections of Camshafts

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-27-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2015   #28
WVZR-1

OP needs his friends lift and if either have an air chisel I'd use a "blunt tip" on very low air pressure and jar the sh!! out of the plug. Continue using the short "pipe wrench".

Cliff - an M14 does NOT fit a correct drain plug with a good HEX. A massaged one or well worn? Yes you've showed that. LOL Now if someone takes an M14 and it doesn't fit, reaches for the M15 which is NEXT in the progression, what happens? Might it end up rounded?

THE NOTIFICATIONS FIX CAME JUST IN TIME - LOL I would not have wanted to miss this one.

Quote:

This is different than Dave jarring the sh!! out of it and staying with a pipe wrench
I am guessing there is not much of the Hex left on that Oil Pan Drain Plug. I still say (Helicoil or not) try a bit of heat.
The wire wound threaded insert is quite light as you've observed. Heat maybe not it's best friend. No I wouldn't have reached for the M15 because I knew to start with the correct 9/16 BOX.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-28-2015 at 12:16 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #29
Dynomite

If Jerry would try a 14mm box wrench on these I would be most appreciative

Oil Pan Drain Plug and Aftermarket Oil Pan Drain Plug

I still cannot believe a chisel and small hammer worked on the Torx 40 Cam Cover bolts. I actually chiseled counterclockwise and it took 10 bangs after creating a purchase on one side of the Torx 40. The 10 bangs actually rotated the Torx 40 about 180 deg or more with the first 5 bangs just to get it started.

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-28-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2015   #30
32valvesftw

I had a galled up steel bolt stuck in my aluminum bar-backs on the bike, the only thing that worked was a small SHARP Chisel and a hammer. It has worked for me many times, even recently in a broken u-joint bolt that broke in the yoke.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote