ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-08-2021   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Then and now comparisons

If you're a tech junkie (like me), you will enjoy seeing what was then the state of the art (automotively speaking) vs. now.

The epitome of piston engine development we see being revisited today, i.e., 4 valves/cylinder, fuel injection, water injection dual stage supercharging, cam phasing, etc was known at the end of WW-II - engines used in aircraft specifically. So, I find the "gee whiz" press releases and tech writers falling all over themselves to marvel at some of the automotive engine tech du jour as being so "cutting edge". Oh, please! But, I digress...

Interesting (YouTube) article anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvSPt8XzuM

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021   #2
WARP TEN

Default Re: Then and now compaisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
If you're a tech junkie (like me), you will enjoy seeing what was then the state of the art (automotively speaking) vs. now.

The epitome of piston engine development we see being revisited today, i.e., 4 valves/cylinder, fuel injection, water injection dual stage supercharging, cam phasing, etc was known at the end of WW-II - engines used in aircraft specifically. So, I find the "gee whiz" press releases and tech writers falling all over themselves to marvel at some of the automotive engine tech du jour as being so "cutting edge". Oh, please! But, I digress...

Interesting (YouTube) article anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvSPt8XzuM
A fun video Paul. I love the '65 fuelie, but once I had a ride in a friend's 396/425 back in 1965, I was hooked on cubic inches. I have to say that I am still a bigger fan of the 427 in the C2 era. Dream car: '67 427/390 with A/C and outside pipes. Pipe dream, but still... --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021   #3
rkreigh

the old radial engines are a marvel. Udvar Hazy and the Richmond airport museum have some very cool cut aways. These engines were the big doggies and pushed the envelope of boost, nitrous and just plan big!!!

I'm a fan of the old engines, they are fascinating.

The indy museum is another must do. They have the old thumpers going way back up to the current state of the art.

I'm going to get a seat in a 2009 cosworth for helping a buddy out, I can't wait. I have to behave but that car is an "unrestricted" cosworth that can provide upwards of 1000 hp in a car with uber down force.

The outlaw indy car has the pop off valve bolted down so he can run "non race legal" boost and the cosworth just laughs and pulls harder

"that's more my girl" the trip down the mine shaft is something on my bucket list that might actually happen. I'm holding out for indy, I helped pit the car a few years back fopr vintage parade laps and it's something I'll not soon forget.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021   #4
Mystic ZR-1

Speaking of Indycar motors....
The Novi V8!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5B235E17-FDAB-4498-A040-9144F0FA49ED.jpeg (20.9 KB, 21 views)
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021   #5
Jagdpanzer

Interesting video for WW2 piston engine fighter buffs.
Amazing progress between 1935 and 1945. Very interested to learn lube oil channeled through the crankshaft link our LT5 crankshaft was considered a big deal back in the day.
https://youtu.be/ImEpk1s-Vk0
Germans were the first to employ automatic engine management system on the FW 190 for controlling manifold pressure, timing, and fuel injection which relieved the pilot to focus on more important things during combat.
Lack of automated engine control was the reason the US turbocharged P38 Lightning and P47 Thunderbolts fighters were considered complicated to fly in combat where engine management had to be done manually by the pilot.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021   #6
Jagdpanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
Interesting video for WW2 piston engine fighter buffs.
Amazing progress between 1935 and 1945. Very interested to learn lube oil channeled through the crankshaft like our LT5 crankshaft was considered a big deal back in the day.
https://youtu.be/ImEpk1s-Vk0
Germans were the first to employ automatic engine management system on the FW 190 for controlling manifold pressure, timing, and fuel injection which relieved the pilot to focus on more important things during combat.
Lack of automated engine control was the reason the US turbocharged P38 Lightning and P47 Thunderbolts fighters were considered complicated to fly in combat where engine management had to be done manually by the pilot.

George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote