ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-19-2014   #1
XfireZ51

Default What did Sea Foam do for your motor?

Just threw in a can of Sea Foam for the first time. Was wondering if anyone could tell what benefit it had for their motor.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014   #2
Billy Mild

Default Re: What did Sea Foam do for your motor?

Did you put it in the gas, oil, or through the intake?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014   #3
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
Did you put it in the gas, oil, or through the intake?
Poured a little through the airhorn, then the remainder in the tank.
Old 08-19-2014   #4
Billy Mild

Threw the gas tank I noticed a difference in my early 1991 Z. It seems to have let the secondary injectors actually work. Using it through the intake seems to make a big difference on a lot of cars I have owned.
Old 08-20-2014   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Dom, I have had several issues in the carburetors of several smaller engines, lawn mowers, pressure washer, generator, and one motorcycle that were not started over the winter. The carb jets became clogged with crud as result of fuel evaporating and leaving varnish(?) or goo in them. BUT, I've never had any such issues with ANY motors that had Sea Foam in the fuel while in winter storage.

That I can't say the same for Sta-Bil (the red stuff). The jets on my pressure washer closed completely shut on that carb, after the fuel evaporated. In fact, the manager/owner of the local rental place said to never use that stuff, and recommended Sea Foam - what they use in their rental equipment to prevent issues in motors that sit for long periods.

I dunno whether it is the Sea Foam or the fact I make it a habit to run ALL the motors once or twice a month and keep the carbs primed or both. But, for what it's worth, I've not had any more issues with the 2 Vettes or the 6 small engines since.

Far as de-carbonizing goes, I've never used Sea Foam, but have used ATF on one occasion, but plain old WATER (and inadvertently COOLANT once) poured directly into the intake of the running engine really works quite well, I find.

But, I'm curious... Your running w/o secondaries, and I dare say few if any fuss with their tuning as much as you. So, I'm surprised you're having any trouble with carbon...or are you??

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #6
XfireZ51

Paul,

I had no reason to do it other than to just try it. Had heard about it. I've used Marvel Mystery Oil before in much the same way. Sometimes a lifter would stick on my SBC, and Marvel would quiet that down pretty quickly.
I took the car out on Monday after not having really driven it. There was a Roush 427 Mustang in front of me who got on it from a light. I, of course, obliged him.
Car went sideways beating the ASR. Could not get any traction, and it was a warm day, I was pointed straight. Took me by surprise. Lgaff told me he had measured a 10lb increase in compression on a cylinder after using SeaFoam.
Maybe I did need to blow it out a bit. Just wondering.
Old 08-20-2014   #7
Schrade

I read many years ago, in more than one place, that gasoline left unburned in the cylinders would solve carbon deposits.

So on carb'ed vehicles that I owned, I started dropping the accelerator when I parked at the end of the day, and turning off the ignition (with the pedal on the floor) just as it got around 1,200, and it would keep going to maybe 2k+, before winding down. WHen it stopped spinning, I'd let off the pedal, leaving a bunch of fuel in the cylinders.

Never noticed any carbon next day when I'd fire it, but plugs were always really clean at change time tho'...

I don't know how to leave fuel in electronic injection cars...................................
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #8
Schrade

Some CC additives had a rap for eating seals at the crank. I never believed it.

I always guessed that maybe the additives actually DID solve some deposits that might have been lodged against the seals, and THEN allowed some leaking.

So maybe they DO actually solve some deposits - don't know for sure here..........
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #9
Billy Mild

I owned a 1996 Plymouth Neon back in the day. It was my first car and as such I took really good care of it. I always changed the oil with Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles or so. Changed the plugs every 15,000 miles. The normal maintenance items.

At about 80,000 miles the engine had a sort of rough idle, and didn't get as good of gas mileage as it did previously. A lot of other neons had this issue as well. There was a TSB put out by Chrysler to use their combustion cleaner to help resolve the issue. I followed the TSB to the T.

1. Drive the car to get the engine throughly warmed up
2. Have an assistant keep the car above idle and don't let the car die
3. Spray the combustion cleaner into the air intake after the air filter.
4. Let the car sit for 4 hours after the entire can was ingested.
5. Start the car up and do some heavy pulls on the highway until no more smoke is coming out of the tailpipe.

After this was completed the car ran smooth as silk and the gas mileage improved.
Old 08-20-2014   #10
Karl

Sea foam seems to have worked quite well. Car runs much smoother. I put a can in about 1/3 tank of gas and drove it hard. Also my oil catch can keeps the oil from going into the intake which means less oil and carbon going into the engine.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*

Last edited by Karl; 08-20-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote