ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-28-2013   #1
8cam

Default gearbox/transmission noise

With my screaming water pump fixed, now I can hear all the other stuff going on. FYI my car sat for 15 years which is never good for rotating surfaces, so I'm prepared for whatever might be happening. I hope.

I have two distinct noises going on. The first one sounds like a bearing noise. Symptoms are a rotating/rattling sound with the clutch engaged (pedal out), trans in neutral. When I disengage the clutch the noise goes away, which tells me it's on the transmission side. Hoping this isn't something too ugly.

The second noise is gear whine, and it's pretty damn loud. Happens in at least the first three gears, noisiest in 1st and 2nd. It might happen in 4th too, but it's a lot quieter then and I'm going fast enough that road noise takes over. This noise goes on when idling along with no throttle, under acceleration and off throttle, up and down with the speed of the car. Definitely gear whine. I'm going to bet the oil hasn't been changed in a LONG time, so it's on the list. I see some posts about Castrol TWS. I also know the Ferrari guys swear by Red Line shockproof oils, which have similar characteristics to motor oils with some interesting additives. Only limitations are they can't be used in pump/filter situations. What's the latest recommendation?
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #2
Kevin

Default Re: gearbox/transmission noise

sounds like it could be normal black tag whine. the early trannies are known as "rock crushers" due to the way the gears are cut. Most replace the factory fluid with bmw fluid
Old 10-28-2013   #3
mike100

perfectly normal as you described it. pedal in quiets down on the ZF. If the throw-out bearing was bad, it would make more noise, not less, so the noise in in the trans. The amount of whine various from one gearbox to another, but I have seen some perfectly fine units make a lot of noise.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #4
cvette98pacecar

Didnt you just pick up this car?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #5
cvette98pacecar

Your noises might be normal.
If you have a fidanza lightweight flywheel they sound like a spun bearing when the clutch is engaged in neutral. As for the rear end if you have a 4.09 they scream like a scalded pig.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #6
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
Your noises might be normal.
If you have a fidanza lightweight flywheel they sound like a spun bearing when the clutch is engaged in neutral. As for the rear end if you have a 4.09 they scream like a scalded pig.

A 409 rear should not be loud if they are the Viper gears and installed properly.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #7
8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
Didnt you just pick up this car?
Yep, had it just over two weeks. I haven't heard gear noise like this since my grandfather's old Biscayne with 3 on the tree. Boy that car met an ignominious end.

I can just about guarantee this car is 100% stock, flywheel, trans and rear end, given the ownership history. But sitting for as long as it did is never good for moving parts and I suspect is a big reason it's so loud. If this kind of noise is really normal, I'll be very surprised. Driving in the parking deck felt like it was echoing off the walls.

I'm thinking a fluid change is seriously overdue and might fix a lot of the issue. Any opinions on the Red Line oils? I may give the guru a call and see what he thinks.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #8
xlr8nflorida

Mobil 1 synthetic 75/90 gear oil for the rear axle. I'd use 2 small bottles of GM Additive.

I'd use BMW Castrol in the Transmission.

BMW oil 3 Liters TWS 10w60 synthetic oil - Change it every 10-12K miles if you love your ZF-6.

Redline has good products but I'd use the BMW in the Transmission for various reasons which I don't have time to type out right now.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #9
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
A 409 rear should not be loud if they are the Viper gears and installed properly.
thought the viper gears were 4.10s
Old 10-28-2013   #10
Franke

4 cam - Mark, If this car is stock then one of the first things you should consider is the injectors. If original they don't like ethanol fuels and eventually start shorting the coils. I had 4 bad ones and they were a great part of my tranny noise due to some misfire. When I replaced them I was surprised at how much quieter my trans noise was. I have 56K miles on it now. I use redline MTL in the trans and it seemed to shift a little smoother but that could be due to new fluid more than anything else. I would change all the fluids since you could have water vapor contamination due to the years of sitting. Then if the loud gear whine doesn't subside I would pull the box for a look see inside.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote