ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-29-2014   #11
Billy Mild

Default Re: Higher than normal Idle, and occasional stumble

I just drove the Vette again, the engine was a bit warmed up and it appears the secondary pump is behaving like it was yesterday. Run with the initial key being on, then shut off for a while.

Who knows maybe its temp related.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #12
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
I just drove the Vette again, the engine was a bit warmed up and it appears the secondary pump is behaving like it was yesterday. Run with the initial key being on, then shut off for a while.

Who knows maybe its temp related.
Does this mean your idle is 750 to 800 and smooth?
Does this mean your Vacuum Pump turned on for a few seconds with switch on and then turned off for at least a minute or so?
Keeping in mind if the Vacuum Pump turns on for a few seconds and then Off for a few seconds you still have operational Vacuum for Secondaries.

Operational Vacuum with Leaks but not something that will effect secondary operation. Something rather normal but not perfect.
Simple to get the Vacuum System Perfect ......

Finding A Vacuum Leak

The higher than normal idle and stumble is NOT normal. Yes higher than Normal Idle for a few seconds (or until vehicle forward motion is zero) as that is programmed for idle to be a bit dependent on vehicle motion forward (speed). We are talking Out Of Gear (or clutch depressed) and foot off gas coasting at engine idle

This has already been suggested that your MAP connections at rear of Plenum are connected and tight.

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-29-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #13
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Does this mean your idle is 750 to 800 and smooth?
Does this mean your Vacuum Pump turned on for a few seconds with switch on and then turned off for at least a minute or so?
Keeping in mind if the Vacuum Pump turns on for a few seconds and then Off for a few seconds you still have operational Vacuum for Secondaries.

Operational Vacuum with Leaks but not something that will effect secondary operation. Something rather normal but not perfect.
Simple to get the Vacuum System Perfect ......

Finding A Vacuum Leak

The higher than normal idle and stumble is NOT normal. Yes higher than Normal Idle for a few seconds (or until vehicle forward motion is zero) as that is programmed for idle to be a bit dependent on vehicle motion forward (speed). We are talking Out Of Gear (or clutch depressed) and foot off gas coasting at engine idle

This has already been suggested that your MAP connections at rear of Plenum are connected and tight.
My idle will be 750-800 RPM sometimes. Other times it will be around 900-1000 RPM. I have noticed that if I stab the throttle and that brings the RPM's up to around 2200 RPM and just let it drop. The idle will go down to 750 RPM Range. Something tells me that has to do with the TB itself possibly.

The Vacuum Pump early this morning when it was really cold, would run then stop for a few seconds, then run, run a second or so then run. After I drove the car around and it warmed up a bit, it seemed to not run as often more what I am used to after the vacuum leaks were fixed this past summer.

I know the car should have the idle high when coasting down to a stop with the car out of gear. My issue is when I am at a dead stop.

Stumble is hard to explain without actually driving the car and feeling the throttle throughout the range. I need to do some slow driving around the neighborhood and see if the throttle plates are sticking.
Old 01-27-2015   #14
Billy Mild

It seems my car has a vacuum leak all the time now. My vacuum pump does cycle, but it does it when warmed up as well.

Can you still get replacement rubber ends for the spider of vacuum hoses? Should I try replacing them all with silicone tubing? I want to pull the plenum and it be the last time. So I am going to block off the water if possible, replace the ignition coils, and hopefully not have any vacuum leaks after this time.
Old 01-27-2015   #15
WARP TEN

Quote:
This will be my 6 or 7th time taking the plenum off. Granted 3 of those times were within the same day since I forgot something or left a connector off......
Ha Ha sounds like the way I approach projects. You get to practice a few times before getting it done right....Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015   #16
Dynomite

Quote:
It seems my car has a vacuum leak all the time now. My vacuum pump does cycle, but it does it when warmed up as well.

Can you still get replacement rubber ends for the spider of vacuum hoses? Should I try replacing them all with silicone tubing? I want to pull the plenum and it be the last time. So I am going to block off the water if possible, replace the ignition coils, and hopefully not have any vacuum leaks after this time.
How often does your pump cycle? (How long is it running and how long is it off during the cycles)? Finding A Vacuum Leak

You should be able (with plenum off) to find and close ALL vacuum leaks so the pump cycles only once within a minute or so. Do NOT replace the Plenum until you get to that point.

See Injector Housing TB Coolant Blocking This post was upgraded today as I just blocked TB Coolant on two Injector Housings. This is the non-transparent method as no one will be able to tell TB Coolant is blocked.

Injector Housing TB Coolant Blocking

Remove Plenum and Block TB Coolant at Injector Housing (Undetected and appears stock or otherwise knows as Non-Transparent).
Install 1/8 inch NPT allen head pipe plugs (21/64 or 11/32 drill) two each Injector Housing (IH) Coolant as shown.

Install the two 1/8 inch x 27 NPT Aluminum pipe plugs in the Injector Housings. See Summit Racing 1/8 inch Aluminum Pipe Plugs for Aluminum Pipe Plugs.

It is simple and all you have to do is place 1/8 inch pipe plugs in two ports after drilling out a bit. You do NOT need a drill press but try to drill and tap as perpendicular to the Injector Housing Intake surface as possible. Keep trying the pipe plug as you tap the hole such that the pipe plug becomes tight but almost flush with the Injector Housing/Plenum mating surface. Use Red Loctite on the pipe plug in the final installation (the final installation procedure is to take a flat file and dress up the pipe plug with the surface (the pipe plug you use is Aluminum so easy to dress up).

It is important to have a shop vac handy as you drill and tap into aluminum to suck up all shavings.

Note 1: When drilling into aluminum with hand drill do NOT apply a lot of pressure and trigger the drill on and off rather than just hold the trigger. In aluminum the drill bit might catch and then the hole you are drilling gets screwed up just as you are about to pop through. In this case you are about to pop through at the start as the smaller hole is already there. If you are not sure.....chuck up the drill bit lightly so it spins in the chuck if it takes a bigger bite than expected when drilling.

Note 2: When tapping the drilled hole make sure the tap is perpendicular to the Injector Housing surface. Turn the tap with vertical pressure to start the thread and then rotate the tap only one turn at a time backing off and cleaning the tap each complete turn. As you get close to the tap depth required, keep trying the pipe plug such that it is near flush when finally installed but with considerable resistance when installing. The final installation is with red Loctite and then file smooth with the surface.

This Non-Transparent Installation of TB Coolant Blocking
will require you insert a plug in the Coolant Return
Line on the Passenger side of the Plenum
(the only TB Coolant hose that requires a hose clamp)

Note 3: Getting the Air Out of the Water Pump after Blocking TB Coolant.
See LT5 Air Locked Water Pump Simplified for the Simplified Discussion regarding The Air Locked Water Pump.

1. Disconnect the drivers side Injector Housing Coolant Manifold "L" and tip it up. Fill that "L" with coolant and blow into that "L" forcing coolant into the water pump through the passenger side water pump inlet and passenger side Injector Housing Coolant Manifold (Only blow in steps refilling the "L" with coolant each blow effort). You can see in the photo that by blowing coolant into the Drivers Side of the water pump air will be forced out to the top level of the impeller with only a small amount of air left on the passenger side of the water pump.

2. Refill the Drivers Side "L" with coolant and do that trick a couple times until the coolant flows out of the drivers side Injector Housing Coolant Manifold where you have disconnect the "L".

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-27-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2015   #17
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
How often does your pump cycle? (How long is it running and how long is it off during the cycles)? Finding A Vacuum Leak

You should be able (with plenum off) to find and close ALL vacuum leaks so the pump cycles only once within a minute or so. Do NOT replace the Plenum until you get to that point.
My car was like that at one point. It was after I removed the plenum for the first time, and the subsequent times after that. The vacuum leak issue seems to come and go. For example after a lot of driving today when the engine was still warmed up, the pump didn't cycle at all. Pretty crazy.

The plenum is coming off soon for new coil packs, as it appears my car may have a slight misfire just in the idle to 2500 RPM range.
Old 02-11-2015   #18
Dynomite

Default Vacuum Check Valve under Plenum Failed

Quote:
The vacuum leak issue seems to come and go. For example after a lot of driving today when the engine was still warmed up, the pump didn't cycle at all. Pretty crazy.
I regard to a vacuum leak that comes and goes.........as indicated by a pump that cycles some times much more often that other times.

A possibility not yet discussed.........

There is a Vacuum Check Valve under the Plenum that isolates the Vacuum Pump from the Plenum Vacuum as long as the Vacuum Pump is pulling greater vacuum than the Plenum.

With the Key On but engine NOT running the Vacuum Check Valve can be tested for proper operation without removing the Plenum as follows........

The Plenum source of vacuum is located on the drivers side center of Plenum. Disconnect that Vacuum Connector from the Plenum and place finger over end of vacuum line rubber connector to see if the Vacuum Pump quits cycling. With Key ON the Vacuum Pump will cycle every two or three seconds with that vacuum rubber connector NOT blocked and failed vacuum check valve. With that Vacuum Rubber Connector blocked if the Pump now stops cycling you have located the Vacuum Leak which actually is a faulty check valve located under the Plenum. The Plenum has to be removed to replace that check valve.

This faulty check valve can fail intermittently and will then cause intermittent operation of the Vacuum Pump. The test as described is a simple test and can be conducted with the Plenum in place.

Finding A Vacuum Leak

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-11-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2015   #19
secondchance

Quote:
Sometimes my idle will hang around 1500-1700 RPM. If I stab the throttle really fast it will go back down to 900 RPM. I have noticed that when the engine is still cold, not fully warmed up, the car will sometimes stumble around the 2500 RPM when I go more than 50% throttle. If I go WOT it pulls through it without issue. There seems to be a sticking point around 50% throttle. Once the car comes up to full temp this issue becomes less noticeable.
Have you checked your throttle position sensor? My symptom was quite similar. Turned out TPS going bad.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015   #20
Billy Mild

I haven't yet. It sounds like I need to get a hold of a tech1 and check that stuff.

Dynomite I have replaced that check valve BTW. It seems that when its warm outside and my engine is warmed up the vacuum pump doesn't run all the time. So it is intermittent.

Would it be a bad idea to replace all vacuum lines with silicone hoses?