ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 NCRS for ZR-1s

Old 08-08-2017   #1
Tony91

Default 134 A/C

I might need to replace my A/C compressor and r12 might not be a possible replacement. I was thinking about going the NCRS route in the future. How will switching over to 134 effect the status of judging?
Tony91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017   #2
spork2367

Default Re: 134 A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony91 View Post
I might need to replace my A/C compressor and r12 might not be a possible replacement. I was thinking about going the NCRS route in the future. How will switching over to 134 effect the status of judging?
How would they know?
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017   #3
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
How would they know?
Connector fittings to the receiver/drier are different for R12 and R134a. If you use the original r/d with an adapter fitting and remove it afterwards there will be no way to tell.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017   #4
Tony91

Thanks, I was wondering if there were any differences in both systems. I want to keep as much as original as possible. And as r12 is pretty expensive, I might go the route of 134. Can anybody tell me running 134, was it as cold, colder?
Tony91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony91 View Post
Thanks, I was wondering if there were any differences in both systems. I want to keep as much as original as possible. And as r12 is pretty expensive, I might go the route of 134. Can anybody tell me running 134, was it as cold, colder?
The 95 ZR-1s have 134 AC. I do not notice any difference as I have both 90s and a 95. You can get as much R12 on Ebay as you want for about $30 a can.

There are lots of stories and recommendations for the R12 to R134 Conversion.....both some negative and positive. I think the AC Compressor operates at a higher pressure with R134 for example but you would use the existing R12 compressor with R134. I just seen you are changing compressors anyway.

There exists several R12 to R134 Conversion Kits which include the Compressor, Oil, Expansion Valve and Dryer/fittings. First thing you have to do is vacuum out the existing R12 System.

I was thinking of doing this conversion with a 1993 Ford XLT but have found the Original R12 Compressor was leaking oil so will stay with R12 system and just have the original compressor replaced.....let us know how it goes

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-17-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017   #6
RICHARD TILL

I`ve converted no less than 25 cars to R-134. Its better to vacuum the system but not mandatory. Add one can of 134 to keep the compressor energized, then add the correct amount of oil. Now add 134 until the low side gauge reads 40-45 lbs. The compressor or dryer does not have to be changed.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #7
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
The 95 ZR-1s have 134 AC. I do not notice any difference as I have both 90s and a 95. You can get as much R12 on Ebay as you want for about $30 a can.

There are lots of stories and recommendations for the R12 to R134 Conversion.....both some negative and positive. I think the AC Compressor operates at a higher pressure with R134 for example but you would use the existing R12 compressor with R134. I just seen you are changing compressors anyway.

There exists several R12 to R134 Conversion Kits. First thing you have to do is vacuum out the existing R12 System.

I may do this conversion myself with a 1993 Ford XLT.....let us know how it goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD TILL View Post
I`ve converted no less than 25 cars to R-134. Its better to vacuum the system but not mandatory. Add one can of 134 to keep the compressor energized, then add the correct amount of oil. Now add 134 until the low side gauge reads 40-45 lbs. The compressor or dryer does not have to be changed.

Seems to be some dubious information in this thread. I do HVAC work for a living and am licensed to do it. I convert, repair, etc. vehicles on the side.

The only r134 specific compressors are those that came on vehicles that were originally r134. Obviously there are some vehicles that were crossover years where one might exist in the same style and fit both systems. The only difference when you buy a compressor for an r12 vehicle labeled for r134 is the oil in it.

If you're not flushing and replacing everything, make sure you get an oil that is compatible with the old and new, not a 134 specific oil.

When switching a system over, the ideal way to do it is to flush the system with a cleaner, replace the drier/accumulator, change the orifice valve if it's not integral with the drier/accumulator, refill with the proper oil, vacuum the system down, then refill with r134 to the recommended percentage. Typically around 80% of the original r12 charge.

As far as changes between r12 and r134, the only thing that can be purchased that is specific is a new orifice valve and oil. It doesn't have to be changed, but the r134 designs are suppose to work better in retrofits. I've never noticed a real difference, but I'm sure it depends on the system and vehicle. These are typically integrated into the hard line with the accumulator/drier.

R134 put back into an r12 system will never be as cold. That's just the physics of it. The difference may not be noticeable, but they system was designed around the operating pressures and characteristics of a certain refrigerant.

I don't know how you would convert without pulling a vacuum on the system. You're either starting with a system that has no leaks and contains refrigerant and you'll have a mix, or you have a system that had a leak, contains air, and worse than that moisture. Part of the importance of the vacuum process is that it boils off all the moisture in the system. Obviously if there is air in the system, you will never get the proper quantity of refrigerant in. With digital gauges you should be able to pull an all original system with no leaks down to about 1100 microns. A new system should get down to about 600 microns. Anything way off from that has a leak or a lot of moisture.

A system that wasn't vacuumed will absolutely fail before a system that was. I would compare doing that to installing new wheel bearings in something without greasing them. They will be nicer than a bad bearing, but not as nice as a new greased bearing....and only for a short period of time.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #8
Ccmano

Good stuff, Spork! On our cars the orifice valve is in the hard line. While I know the ideal way is to replace the receiver/dryer, what risk is there in not replacing it?
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #9
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Good stuff, Spork! On our cars the orifice valve is in the hard line. While I know the ideal way is to replace the receiver/dryer, what risk is there in not replacing it?
H
Oriface is also easy to replace as it is right a fitting of 2 lines..

MY guess on the receiver/drying would be moisture or contaminants in the system?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #10
Mystic ZR-1

Not only all that, but, a new accumulator can be polished
to look like chrome with little effort!