ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-09-2018   #1
USAFPILOT

Default Emission legal in 50 states

Were all ZR-1s 50 state legal for emissions? If so how would I prove it?
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018   #2
TX '90 ZR1

Default Re: Emission legal in 50 states

In the early 90's there were 2 testing standards.
On the radiator shroud there should be a decal that will indicate if the car was tested to CA. emissions. This will be the easiest if the decal is still there and readable.
Next would be an indication on the window sticker showing a line item charge for the CA. emissions test. Some vehicles required additional emissions hardware to pass the CA. standard. I do not believe the LT5 required anything additional.
Not sure, but I would assume the test standard would be on the build sheet also.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018   #3
cruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
Were all ZR-1s 50 state legal for emissions? If so how would I prove it?
If it's concerning a registration issue in CA, it really does not matter as long as the car has 7500 miles and all of the smog equipment is in place including exhaust manifolds/cats. It still needs to pass a smog test, but 49 or 50 state legal is not of concern.
cruban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018   #4
USAFPILOT

This is the only emissions sticker I know of on my radiator shroud. It mentions nothing about California. Should there be something that does? I think this car was originally sold in FL.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
Old 07-09-2018   #5
USAFPILOT

It looks like the RPO code YF5 would indicate California Emission equipment and FE9 would indicate Federal emissions equipment. Where would I be able to find that out if I do not have the original window sticker?
Old 07-09-2018   #6
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:

This is the only emissions sticker I know of on my radiator shroud. It mentions nothing about California. Should there be something that does? I think this car was originally sold in FL.
I am about 99% sure this decal is for 49 state vehicles and not CA. certified.
It has been a long time since I dealt with this, but I was selling hundreds of cars a year in CA. during this time and I definitely remember this issue being a freaking nightmare!! Anything that was not a 50 state car was imposed a $300.00 "smog impact fee" upon initial registration in California. This was eventually overturned and you could apply for a refund, but you had to be the retail purchaser and the fee had to be listed as a separate charge on the sales contract. Sorry for the rant, but this has brought back memories of the "Smog Gestapo" and all their trickery.
I am pretty sure that where it says "US EPA" would have continued to say "and CA. standards."
This should not be an issue with registration in CA. now, if this is what you are trying to figure out. However, all systems will need to be stock to get the smog certificate.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018   #7
Performawheels

Default Emission legal in 50 states

My ‘94 was originally sold by Bud’s in Ohio...it is a 49 state car but has passed with flying colors twice in CA....with K&N air filter and power effects cat back...

Sent from my iPad using ZR-1 Net Registry
Performawheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018   #8
Ccmano

Looks like this is the yearly version of this question. As stated there were two different testing standards with the vehicles when new. Only the tests (certification) were different, California as in many things had their own test, then there was the 49 State test. Otherwise there is no diffence between a California tested car and a 49 state car. There is no special California equipment or systems on the car. “All” cars produced are identical. Today, 23 to 28 years later it is largely irrelevant unless you are a California resident and want to bring in a 49 state car with less than 7500 miles on the odometer. (Which they won’t allow) If the car has more than 7500 miles a 49 state car can be brought in but must pass emissions testing. If you are a California resident you will find that the car will be required to pass tests that are more stringent than when the car was new back in the 90’s. To them is just another old car they do not want on their roads.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 07-11-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018   #9
Ccmano

Quote:
It looks like the RPO code YF5 would indicate California Emission equipment and FE9 would indicate Federal emissions equipment. Where would I be able to find that out if I do not have the original window sticker?
Look on the inside cover of the center console.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018   #10
Z51JEFF

Arrow Re: Emission legal in 50 states

My 91 had less than the required 7500 when I had it inspected here in Ca,car came from Georgia. I knew about the 7500 mile policy so I didn’t know what to expect but there were no issues. The car did have a little over 7000 miles so that might have had something to do with getting it to pass the inspection.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote