ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-19-2015   #1
RussMcB

Default NCM Motorsports Park Track Day thoughts

This thread is to give people a chance to discuss the recent 2015 event and possible changes for next year's track day at Bowling Green.

The 2015 Track Day was a success by most accounts (but not all), and there have been discussions about what could be done better next time.

Let's keep it constructive. :-)
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #2
Scrrem

Default Re: NCM Motorsports Park Track Day thoughts

I have never been on the track before and the morning "Touring" laps were way beyond my expectations. We were going faster through the course that I had expected and I had a great time!!! I know for some of the experienced racers out there, it may have been a disappintment, but for beginners, I thought it was a hit! My only negative was it would have been helpful to have someone show you how to approach the turns and what lines to take. I know this was not a driving school event, but some quick basics would have been helpful. To those that were behind me on the track that day, I apologize for holding you up.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #3
gbrtng

I was first in line with my group - the lead car gave me a wave and took off full tilt. I expected an easy first lap to familiarize the group with the track. That didn't happen.
I feel sorry for those who were first-timers on a track because there was no advanced warning for what was coming. Amazingly, no one spun or broke something. This is from someone who has driven at least 5000 HPDE miles. I mentioned the issue to Wendell Saturday night and he said he would talk to the track guys. We'll see ...
Old 05-19-2015   #4
RussMcB

I'd like them to change the rule that says no passengers. One big benefit would be that participants with little or no experience could ride with an experienced driver (to see the racing line), and they could have an instructor ride in their passenger seat to help them understand how they can improve (and be safe, avoid incidents, etc.).

I overheard a good suggestion from one of our members, and that is to split our participants into two or three groups, based on experience. The novices could get more attention, such as a short classroom discussion of the corners, including which turns can bite you.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
Old 05-19-2015   #5
QB93Z

I have never done a high speed track event before. I signed up for the Touring Laps to support the Registry and the Motor Sports Park.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the event that we had. The Touring Laps were conducted very well from the stand point of safety and the drivers understanding what was happening. The actual driving was at a level that challenged my driving ability. We got to make as many laps for the period 8:00 to 12:00.

Suggestions:
1. Have two different pace cars that are moderate speed and challenging speed.

2. Arrange the staging area in the paddock so the driver can choose which speed pace car you will follow.

3. Prior to a driver's first laps, conduct a brief orientation of the track procedures and safety rules.

4. If the pace car has to reduce speed (or stop) to get the group back together or because there was a rule violation, discuss the reason with the offending driver after the laps.

5. On some of my laps, I followed an experienced driver (thanks Glenn). While it was useful to see the line in the turns, I found myself driving by his brake lights, which is probably not the best way to do it.

6. Police ourselves to keep our participants from making high speed runs across the paddock and parking areas.

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #6
JimZRyd

I agree with all the above posts, and I didn't even have my car there😜. Not sure where Russ heard no passengers, but I was greatful and lucky enough to be able to ride along with Mark in his Beast of a DRM Z! Thanks Mark, I really appreciate it! Of course that was only on the "touring laps" and not the AutoX. The above suggestions of pre race orientation and a familiarity lap prior to the runs would be a great idea, as well as splitting the groups up between the novice and more aggressive drivers. This would probably cut down on the amount of "slinky effect" we all noticed. All in all, a great time was had by all! My congratulations and appreciation goes out to all who were responsible for this event!

1994 ZR-1 Admiral Blue/Black #245
1996 Callaway Supernatural 450
JimZRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #7
RussMcB

The 'No Passengers' rule was for the afternoon, less-restrictive runs.

It was cool to carry passengers in the morning.
Old 05-19-2015   #8
JimZRyd

Correct. You just didn't specify in your original post so I wasn't sure what you meant. I was just making sure everyone knew the morning session was like that.

1994 ZR-1 Admiral Blue/Black #245
1996 Callaway Supernatural 450
JimZRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #9
efnfast

I got to ride shotgun in a C7 Z06 (WOW) thanks Mike.
Two observations.
We were behind the pace car. The driver stuck his hand out the window and started flailing it around, we had no idea what he wanted us to do. We were pulling over for a small spin out.
Talking to one of the track guys (who shut down traffic to 50 mph) 2 of the guys at the end of the line were sandbaging (rubber banding). He told me, don't tail gate, and don't sandbag, and we'd get some great laps. Screw up, and they radio the driver to slow way down.
Lots of fun.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #10
Rex Ruby

It was a great opportunity to go fast (real fast) on a track.
Pace car should not have gone balls to the wall.
The first 3 lap run should have been TOURING laps so we could learn and get comfortable with the track.
The tech sheet everyone had to do for the afternoon should have been done for the morning too.
Helmets should have been a requirement. Can never be too SAFE!
All in all what a blast!

'93 Ruby Coupe ZF6 - Muffler eliminators, Blink Blink kit and Polished ZR1 Wheels
* PA Plate: OBSSSN

'06 LeMans Blue C6 Coupe - Corsa exhaust
* PA Plate: OBSSSV

ZR1 Net Registry Founding Member #153
40th Anniversary Registry Member
NCM Family Membership #8116
Corvette Forum NE Events Coordinator
Delco Cruisers Board of Directors
SAVE THE WAVE!
Rex Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote