ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-16-2019   #1
BigIke

Default The Juan is back, thanks to the registry!

I had a horrible clock, pop, bang sounds and vibration, and noise when accelerating. Got the hubs pulled off the back and while both had play, one was smoked... Drivers side came out in pieces. New hubs, joints, and bushings and the rear is better than ever. Thanks Registry!

Had a smoking, idle hunting, backfire and stalling issue for some time as well. Feared the engine was smoked, to many miles at 7400... Again members steared me to the IH gaskets. Mine were communicating ventilation oil to the intake ports, likewise the crankcase breather was very loose. Fixed all that and fully deleted the secondaries (Thanks Jerry), and the car didn't run this well in my 60k of ownership! This returned so much vacuum that my AC blend door works again!

Had small issue with the starter, ended up being a lose battery cable stud. Tightened, bench tested and worked fine. I've had a charging issue for some time now, with AC on the voltage would drop very low. For some reason, with the stud tight, voltage is perfect again. Bonus!

Car is vibrating real bad, feels like a miss at light load. Thinking it's time to get my old injectors to the cleaners.

I can R&R the intake in about 30 min now if anyone needs a hand in the Montgomery area!

Lastly, wife surprised me with an early birthday present. Best present ever!!! Personalized plates.

Now to replace the new Prothane mounts with stock mounts, clearance the #2 primary of the steering shaft and fix the miss. She'll be perfect!!!

Thanks everyone for helping keep this dialog on the road! 20190126_180409.jpg20190126_194115.jpg20190206_153436.jpg20190206_153441.jpg20190213_110317.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
1991 White ZRJuan #1616
Mileage: 56K Sept-14 -- 113k May-18!!!
God Damn I Love This Car!
BigIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: The Juan is back, thanks to the registry!

Sounds like you're catching up on someone's decades of neglected periodic maintenance! I suppose that's more common than not on used vehicles - my experience anyway! But, one should give every used vehicle a good going over. If nothing else, it is a goooood learning experience!

Anywayz... Glad you're having fun putting your BEAST back as it should be! You're in good hands with the talent here on the Registry (especially)!!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019   #3
Ccmano

Congrats! And here’s yet another example of loose IH and bad gaskets. I think this is now the fourth one I’ve recently seen including my own. If your getting oil smoke and high oil consumption, particularly on high mile cars, this should be one of the first places to look.

Enjoy your car BigIke.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019   #4
BigIke

Well... Intake is coming off again, new starter and coils going in. Had to pee coming home from work and the car was missing pretty bad. 0530 and I slide into the driveway with plans to listen to the engine, but I left in gear and killed it. Peed, got back in to start and nothing. When I woke at 1500 or fired up right away. Guessing the solenoid had checked out. Replaced the plugs the previous morning, no improvement, so I'll replace the coils then too. A miss with Prothane mounts is an uncomfortable hour long commute.. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
1991 White ZRJuan #1616
Mileage: 56K Sept-14 -- 113k May-18!!!
God Damn I Love This Car!
BigIke is offline   Reply With Quote