ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-13-2003   #1
Anonymous

Default hubs

The local GM dealer is telling me that my hubs need replacing. Each wheel can be "rocked" approx. 1/16+", maybe 1/8" on one. The car has 101,000 miles. They are definitely out of factory tolerance for perfect bearings, but are they still acceptable for normal use or should I replace them soon??
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003   #2
Anonymous

Dallas:I just replace the right side , the best price I found was from Pepboys at $139 (Hub assembly)if you do not replace eventualy the u-joint on that shaft will wear out.Joseph
Old 12-13-2003   #3
Anonymous

I'll definitely replace the rear one myself, especially at the price differential. I am wondering about other's cars, though. How many of you out there has had to replace any of your hubs because they became too loose to safely drive?I have cars with nearly 200,000 miles on them and have never needed to replace rear OR front wheel bearings or hubs. My warranty company says it's just "normal" wear. I say that's baloney. This isn't the '50s or '60s where wheel bearings needed constant attention to stay tight or survive for more than 50,000 miles. Also, they weren't loose like that last year, 6 months ago, or 4 months ago before my "tour". So, why the failure>Have any of you experienced this problem?
Old 12-13-2003   #4
Anonymous

Welllll' I just replaced the left rear hub that had so much play in it. The spindle nut was so loose it could have been taken off with a pair of small pliers. That may have been the problem to begin with. The hub came apart like a cheap watch when the nut was removed.OK, folks. Is that normal wear...or, is that a failed bearing?
Old 12-13-2003   #5
Anonymous

Dallas:When he bearing get worn out the nut look like it is loose but remember that nut was tight before and had the coter pin put in so it could not back out.you could have tighted the nut again but it would have been loose in a short time latter it is best to change it .glad to hear you did it .
Old 12-13-2003   #6
Anonymous

Got the hubs in today, turned the rotors, replaced the pads, put on the new Yokos; took a 20 mile test drive...really smooth and much quieter. Gotta recheck everything tomorrow, and then go after the front hubs/brakes.So far, so good.Well, except for the prices I'm being quoted on the front hubs. Checker=$400, Pep Boys= $520. dealer=$500+, Autozone doesn't carry them at all. Verrrry steep!