ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-21-2010   #1
rhipsher

Default New clutch.

My Spec stage 3 plus just arrived. And I noticed that it wasn't a sprung hub disk. So I called Spec to see if that was the right one. Then called Corey H. I told Corey that I was under the impression that when you remove the duel mass flywheel and go with a single mass fidanza that you had to have a sprung hub disk. He said that's B.S. He said the vibration created is so little through all the moving parts that it never even makes it to the springs in the disk. Because if it did those springs wouldn't be able to take it. They would snap. He said do you know how many of those I've installed? Tons. He said don't worry everything will be fine. That's a stout clutch and I'll love it.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #2
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: New clutch.

that maybe true for the LT5, but it was not true with my 89 L98 car..

the clatter it made with the SMF and Solid disc sounded like a broken Straight truck it was so loud
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #3
todesengel

unsprung disks are also very "grabby". They have a tendency to make a lot of noise AND be very "on-off". hard to slip and not very street friendly. The upside is they also tend to hold a lot more power.

I would never use an unsprung clutch in a street car.
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #4
A1990

I have the Spec stage 3+ in mine and like it has been mentioned, very grabby. On-off describes it exactly.
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #5
FULLPWR

hey Rick,

when your ready to tear it down, I'm there !

you might want to check out that clutch fork i have.
i have an extra throwout bearing too, but no wire holder.

FULLPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #6
rhipsher

I guess like everything else I've modified on the car I'll just have to see for myself. It would have to be unmanageably grabby for me not to like it. I'll bet it will work really good for the drag strip with the type of clamping force it has.
Old 04-22-2010   #7
todesengel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I guess like everything else I've modified on the car I'll just have to see for myself. It would have to be unmanageably grabby for me not to like it. I'll bet it will work really good for the drag strip with the type of clamping force it has.

People like different things for sure, but if you drive this thing on the street and have a lot of stop and go you will pay dearly. It also promotes a lot of wear on other parts of the car from the constant "shock".
Old 04-23-2010   #8
rhipsher

I'm gonna have to trust Corey H. on this one. I was warned by many people about the down side to installing the Fidanza and how much rattling noise it would make. That just wasn't the case. I really had to listen hard to hear it and I noticed the acceleration difference the first time I punched it. So for me the good out wieghed the bad. I'm sure it will grab more than stock. I would expect that. Again it's a weekend driver so It won't be driven in traffic much.
Old 04-23-2010   #9
todesengel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I'm gonna have to trust Corey H. on this one. I was warned by many people about the down side to installing the Fidanza and how much rattling noise it would make. That just wasn't the case. I really had to listen hard to hear it and I noticed the acceleration difference the first time I punched it. So for me the good out wieghed the bad. I'm sure it will grab more than stock. I would expect that. Again it's a weekend driver so It won't be driven in traffic much.
By all means, as I said before, I am no expert. I hope you find it enjoyable in every way
Old 04-23-2010   #10
rhipsher

Putting the clutch in is just the first of many things I'm getting ready to do on the car. Corvette recycling has a killer deal going on right now on the OEM upper and lower control arms rebushinged with new ball joints all four ready to install for only $399. I'm gonna horn in on that. Then new tie rod ends and rebushing the suspension. That will be this summers project. Next summer will be getting the Bilstiens rebuilt and coil overs. What can I say, I love my money pits. Without them I wouldn't be happy. It's the price I'm willing to pay to own some really neat cars.