ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-26-2013   #11
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Targa storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
There's another story ... for one reason or another, more & more people have decided that my appearance resembles the actor R. Lee Ermey, a former marine who became famous for his role in Full Metal Jacket and now does various TV commercials. Anyway, several of the registry members started calling me Gunny and it stuck; besides, I don't think any of my Corvette friends have ever heard me play the tuba, even though I just performed 2 concerts last week. Ah, well ...
George,

That is a funny story and coincidence, but you do resemble that actor and I also see him showing military weapons too on one of the channels (I forget what it is called). I don't want to take over the thread with our stories so I'll keep it short and catch up with you on PM or email. I do remember hearing you mention a few things and best wishes for mom and that is awesome....94. You are living the American Dream for sure and I admire it. Well, long story and things keep changing with sequestration and furlough coming too. I was supposed to be promoted and move to Hawaii, but the position is now being deleted and if I get this job I applied for here, I will be extending a few years, if not I will be going back to Hawaii next March. Thanks for the update and take care. Best wishes, Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #12
GTOger

My father-in-law has a similar type contraption for the removable hardtop on his 1957 Thunderbird. I can tell you that the T-bird top is CONSIDERABLY larger and heavier, and this thing mounts to the ceiling and winches the thing up.

The problem is that it is pretty clunky to use, and lowering the big heavy top onto the immaculately restored Tbird is a daunting task. It doesn't get much use. The top usually gets changed around a family event or function so there are plenty of guys out there. Last time it was me, my father in law and 2 brothers in law all jockeying the top and car around the garage. It would be far easier to just put the thing on a wheeled cart, but this type of system does have the advantage to keeping things out of the way.
[B]1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930)
Red/Black, Stock Engine, Henderson Performance custom ECM, FIC Injectors, B&B exhaust, Kenwood DNX6160[/B]
Other Rides:
1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010), 1967 Pontiac GTO
1998 Porsche 968, 2000 Harley Davidson FXST
1986 Pontiac Trans Am, 1931 Ford Model A Tudor Deluxe
GTOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #13
Meanmyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
There's another story ... for one reason or another, more & more people have decided that my appearance resembles the actor R. Lee Ermey, a former marine who became famous for his role in Full Metal Jacket and now does various TV commercials. Anyway, several of the registry members started calling me Gunny and it stuck; besides, I don't think any of my Corvette friends have ever heard me play the tuba, even though I just performed 2 concerts last week. Ah, well ...
Hey George! Ok, I am not helping any (getting off topic), but I was wondering too, as I saw your profile name changed. Yes, you look just like that guy.

Now, "What are you a bunch of sissy's?!! Drop and give me twenty!"!!!

Now, back on topic, my tops all go in targa storage bags and are stacked against the wall in one of my bedroom closets. I don't want the chance of possible moisture or mold (basement) to damage the colored top headliner fabric.
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #14
Gunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmyz View Post
Now, "What are you a bunch of sissy's?!! Drop and give me twenty!"!!!
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #15
msmoore

For garage storage, I use wall brackets that have the padded tubular arms that you can get at the Depot or Lowes and lean back towards the wall. I believe they are for bikes. I can put both tops on this set up with pad (towel) near the top separating the two. Works great and keeps them out of harms way.
msmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #16
efnfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmoore View Post
For garage storage, I use wall brackets that have the padded tubular arms that you can get at the Depot or Lowes and lean back towards the wall. I believe they are for bikes. I can put both tops on this set up with pad (towel) near the top separating the two. Works great and keeps them out of harms way.
Does this leave pressure points on the seals, or any other such nonsence?
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote