Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #13
efnfast

Default Re: Clutch recommendations

He was when I bought it and installed it.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #14
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Paul, just an FYI. I'm about 4 grand (parts and labor) into the Ram stuff. Looks like it will all end up in the trash.
How many miles on this install?

I certainly believe I'd look more into the initial install. If I weren't rushed I'd maybe surrender the parts for an inspection by Ram/Jerry since you seem to "hint" product problem. I'd think you could have the pressure plate evaluated locally.

Only the Ram from Jerry or also the ***f'wheel?

I didn't look for threads about issues but just what are the issues or maybe just provide links to what you feel are "relevant" threads.

I've an NOS dual-mass that I hadn't considered a sale of but might consider.

*** Did a search and I see mentioned "NEW TO ME" for the f'wheel. Explain maybe. Used, thought to be new, known to have been serviced OR? Was it ever dimensionally confirmed? 1st time install of a push conversion for the tech?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-28-2015 at 11:07 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #15
efnfast

I bought a used Fidanza and had it resurfaced.
I was informed that the Ram stuff would work with the Fidanza.
I figured while doing the flywheel, better so the disc and pressure plate.
I liked the idea of the push release instead of the ball and fork.
I ordered from Jerry the PP, disc, hydraulic release and associated hardware.
During install we found the flywheel would not work with the Ram PP. Of course the mechanic doesn't just look at it and go "wrong one". Takes time and phone calls to both Ram and Jerry to figure out whats up.
I ordered a Ram flywheel.
The hydraulic release comes with 2 (I think) shims and very specific instructions on install tolerance.
The shims didn't fit on the input shaft. After many phone calls we (my mechanic) was instructed to ream them out with a die grinder so they would have a bigger I.D. and fit the shaft.
The shims provided would not get us to the correct tolerances. Ram sent more, also needed to be reamed out.
Now, we can't get their tolerance correct, 3 is not enough, 4 is too many.
Ram approves the tolerances and we move on.
Keep in mind, all of this stuff just sucks up time.
After install, and a test drive, we have a leak in the release bearing.
After tearing it all apart again, the pressure plate has rubbed a hole in the hydraulic lines.
Ram SELLS us 2 45 degree fitting to keep the lines out of harms way.
Both Jerry and Ram have been very involved to this point.
I should add we also installed a Hurst short throw. Which I love, except it vibrates and I have to keep my hand on it.
My mechanic had to fabricate a bracket to hold the lines up on the outside of the tranny because he wasn't happy with the way they were suspended. Ram should look into this.
I currently have 1809 miles on the set up.
The clutch is slipping. Although, it seems only in third gear, but that must just be my imagination, or where I push it the hardest.
Now that its done, when I first tried to get a hold of Ram, they were very hard to get a hold of. It took repeated phone calls and e-mails.
Jerry has been amazingly silent.
Ram has suggested a dual disc, even thought the single is suppose to be good for 700 hp. (I only wish over powering the clutch were the problem.).
I told Ram if it came out, it was staying out.
I'm sure there is more, but that's enough for now.
Old 11-28-2015   #16
WVZR-1

I believe that maybe McLeod no longer offers the 1345 bearing/slave but it certainly looked interesting and it's what I thought I'd contemplate using if I really needed to. Install required some custom shimming etc. but the front input pilot retainer was used to actually bolt the bearing/slave to the ZF replacing the ring. I kept a snapshot of it installed from a CF member "mrc24x". A friend asked me about it a couple weeks ago and I didn't find any references to it any longer in the McLeod offerings but it certainly could be worth a conversation.

Lack of interest and sales may have killed it but it certainly looked like a solid option. I thought I might have had a set of instructions but I don't find it. Here though is the snapshot of it installed on a ZF.

1345 McLeod.jpg

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-28-2015 at 04:23 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #17
XfireZ51

Not a contributor to your issues Steve but "re-surfacing" a Fidanza means u just replace the face w a new one. Isn't that what u did?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #18
Hib Halverson

The only aftermarket clutches I've ever used are McLeod. I have them in my 71 BB Coupe, my ZR-1, my C5 Z06, my S10 Blazer and my Camaro.

I have one in my '95 along with a McLeod aluminum flywheel. The clutch and flywheel have been there since 1997. I now have about 51,000 miles on those parts and they work just as well now as they did when I put them in back in '97. In fact, I had the car out doing some photos of it yesterday and, since I hadn't driven it in several weeks and knowing the plugs needed to be "cleaned", I took the car out on US101 and hammered it three different times on different on ramps to the rev limiter in 3rd gear. McLeod clutches are tough stuff for sure.

McLeod flywheels have a friction insert so "resufracing" means you send it back to McLeod and they drill out the rivets and install a new friction face.

I wouldn't buy a Fidanza, ever. The one and only time I tried another mfg's flywheel/clutch was a Fidanza for my C5. Both the flywheel and the clutch were out of balance and the clutch was so bad my balance shop told me to send it back. When Fidanza gave me a hard time, I sent all the stuff back and bought a McLeod flywheel/clutch set up for that car, too.

As for two-plate clutches, you really don't need them until you get past the 550-hp level.

On the McLeod hydraulic TO bearings, McLeod actually doesn't make that part. They buy them from McLeod's former owner, Red Roberts. He no long lists the ZF hyd. TO bearing. Red is a buddy of mine so I'm email him asking why he doesn't list that part any more.

I'll advise when I get an answer.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #19
HIZNHRZ

I'm running a RAM clutch package with the factory dual mass fly wheel and I'm very pleased. Work was performed by Marc Haibeck.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015   #20
efnfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Not a contributor to your issues Steve but "re-surfacing" a Fidanza means u just replace the face w a new one. Isn't that what u did?
I sent it to the machine shop and they resurfaced. I probably should have just bought a new face for it.