No need for motel, we have room!
Hey man, thanks.....
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018   #22
Vette73

Default Re: 4:10 gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU View Post
Going by Captree on Sundays ? I'm close , you can check out my blue 94 with 4:10s.
Hi Frank...

Yes I do go at times....Actually was there about a month ago.....Was able to make a corvette show last Sunday in Paramus...

Lots of corvettes and three other ZR-1s at show......Will post up when I do go to captree next time...
Old 06-08-2018   #23
G8nightman

I bought everything you would need to do the 410 swap but I’m having second thoughts about putting them in my car let me know if you will be changing them I might consider selling my gears. If you guys do captree I will take a ride out as well[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018   #24
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8nightman View Post
I bought everything you would need to do the 410 swap but I’m having second thoughts about putting them in my car let me know if you will be changing them I might consider selling my gears. If you guys do captree I will take a ride out as well[emoji41]

Hey George how have you been.....I was at Belmont a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I saw your car leaving the show,I arrived late.....

Will touch base with you next time I go out there....
Hope all's well....
Old 06-08-2018   #25
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Do any of you guys with 3.73 or lower(4.10's, 4.56's) with the stock tire heights ever do any 1-3-5 shifting when just driving her easy?
I (for one) often do 1-3-5, even with the 3.45s. But, definitely with Ami's 410s.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018   #26
Meanmyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8nightman View Post

I would ride in a car with 4.10's and see if you like them. In 2014, Marc Haibeck did the 510 HP upgrade to my Yellow '95. He also did 4.10's. Before doing it, I went back and forth and looked at the speed chart - gear/speed/rpm and drove myself nuts trying to decide if I should do it. I took the plunge after getting opinions from Marc and others. I will say that I really, really like them. I also have two stock ZR-1's with stock gears for which to compare the 4.10's. Do I now not like the factory gears? ...No, not at all...I can appreciate both.

As for the modified car, between the extra HP, the lightweight flywheel, the extra noise from the Corsa exhaust, and especially the 4.10's, well, it has really made this car take on the "race car" persona...just like Marc said it would. I don't find anything about the swap that was "too much". Under hard acceleration from 1st gear, you still use all gears. Under light acceleration you still can skip gears. No regrets!

Last edited by Meanmyz; 06-08-2018 at 09:06 PM. Reason: sentence structure and spelling
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018   #27
PhillipsLT5

4.10's for me, all good
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018   #28
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
Despite Pete's preference for 3.45s for drag racing. I think 4.10s were one of the best mods I did on both of my ZR-1s (along with the Hurst short shifter set up to look stock). One car had about 450 HP and one had closer to 500. Really made around-town street driving better . Face it, 99% of the time you will not be applying full power on every takeoff. If you are drag racing you can lug the engine a bit at the start, although you will need to shift to 4th in the quarter mile. For the three or four times I actually drag raced my cars it was fine with me. Not trying to set any records, just have fun. Depends on your goals for the car and your typical use. Your mileage may vary.--Bob
When my 3:36 gears broke in my 73 I came across a complete 3:70 unit so I installed that.......The fun factor and the pick up on the low end was noticeable....Now, if the car had a five speed I stead of a four speed it would be the gear of choice....

Even though my Z is modified I'm guessing the 4:10 would make the car more snappier and more fun around town...

With all the insane horsepower the new ZR-1 and Z0-6 have I'm sure Chevy isn't worrying about spinning tires....Cheers.
Old 06-09-2018   #29
Bob Eyres

The perennial conundrum, to go with 4.10's or stock gears, that is the question.
The quick response is, 4.10's of course, if you care about performance.
It's one of the cheapest mods and gives you more performance when and where you need it.

The stock gear ratio was used by GM for MPG., to avoid the gas guzzler tax, not for optimum performance.

Unless you spend a lot of time cruising above 150 mph, 4.10's are the optimal gear. When was the last time a three speed stick was the optimal transmission for the quarter mile? 1956?

The LT5 is not a torque monster, it's a rev monster. It's more efficient that way. With 4.10's you can take fourth gear to 140 mph. And you still have two more gears to get all the mpg you want.

My car has only about 425 hp., but even if I had 725 hp. I'd still use the 4.10's. Because if you have no traction in 1st. gear, you have a tire problem not a gear problem. Even with street tires 4.10's are better than bogging down with a tall gear. The solution is practice.

JMHO

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.

Last edited by Bob Eyres; 06-09-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018   #30
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
The perennial conundrum, to go with 4.10's or stock gears, that is the question.
The quick response is, 4.10's of course, if you care about performance.
It's one of the cheapest mods and gives you more performance when and where you need it.

The stock gear ratio was used by GM for MPG., to avoid the gas guzzler tax, not for optimum performance.

Unless you spend a lot of time cruising above 150 mph, 4.10's are the optimal gear. When was the last time a three speed stick was the optimal transmission for the quarter mile? 1956?

The LT5 is not a torque monster, it's a rev monster. It's more efficient that way. With 4.10's you can take fourth gear to 140 mph. And you still have two more gears to get all the mpg you want.

My car has only about 425 hp., but even if I had 725 hp. I'd still use the 4.10's. Because if you have no traction in 1st. gear, you have a tire problem not a gear problem. Even with street tires 4.10's are better than bogging down with a tall gear. The solution is practice.

JMHO
Very well said.....Most high performance cars will use a high gear similar to the ZR-1 to avoid the gas guzzler tax.....Neck, I even think the first Vipers used a 3:08...