ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-15-2014   #1
5ABI VT

Default Using a non Z zf6 in a Z.. Possible without a teardown?

Just curious because I have a brand new 96 zf6 that I had bill redo for my 93. Im curious because that car has the later reverse lockout and I like it better. Considering 6th will never be used in that car Im wondering if I could use it in my Z ?

I believe the input shafts are a different length but no idea what it would involve to swap the two so was just curious if anyone knew. will be sending bill an email as well.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #2
Hog

Default Re: Using a non Z zf6 in a Z.. Possible without a teardown?

http://zfdoc.com/techinfo.htm

1996 went to crash through, 89-95 was pull up, reverse lockout.

So you have an LT4 ZF6 and wish to use it for LT5 duty. Hmm, good question.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #3
tccrab

Pretty sure the only difference is the input shaft.
Changing the input shaft doesn't look like a home job, looks like you've got to go pretty deep to get it out.

I have a '95 blue label in my '90 and I like it much better than the original black label, it's a much quieter transmission not nearly as much gear noise.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #4
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Just curious because I have a brand new 96 zf6 that I had bill redo for my 93. Im curious because that car has the later reverse lockout and I like it better. Considering 6th will never be used in that car Im wondering if I could use it in my Z ?

I believe the input shafts are a different length but no idea what it would involve to swap the two so was just curious if anyone knew. will be sending bill an email as well.
Mike

I'd let Bill change out the input shaft, it is a huge deal and you need specialty tools to do it

While your there, get Bill's shifter installed... It's the best one available for the ZF-6

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #5
5ABI VT

yes the blue tag I bought was many years back when GM dumped brand new stock. I bought it and had it shipped to bill who did his balance. blueprint and cleaning up of oil passageways and some other stuff since I was going to spin the motor 8k rpm. I also have his shifter on that trans. Now that I have the trans out.. The other trans is also out in my parents garage as that car is waiting for its new motor as well and I started to get the idea to swap.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #6
WVZR-1

In your particular case I'd maybe consider Rockland Standard Gear, Rockland is the "SOLE DISTRIBUTOR" for the ZF parts in the US and it's not that bad a haul for you. 7 hour trip on I90, see if George is still doing the ZF's and you could be all set.

http://www.rsgear.com/

Sloatsburg NY
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #7
XfireZ51

My ZF Black was rebuilt in 2003 by Rockland and still shifts like buttah w a Hurst. Not to say ZF-Doc doesn't do an equally good job. Bill does. My experience w Rockland has been very good.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #8
mike100

I had Bill put in 95-up crash-thru reverse lock-out on my blacktag 91 ZF so if that is all you need, the shiftrod detent bar is swappable on the earlier transmissions. I also think you can have the input shaft changed as a singular part interchange with all else being the same from the ZR-1 model to the coupe (I think the bell housing is unique too).
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #9
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
I had Bill put in 95-up crash-thru reverse lock-out on my blacktag 91 ZF so if that is all you need, the shiftrod detent bar is swappable on the earlier transmissions. I also think you can have the input shaft changed as a singular part interchange with all else being the same from the ZR-1 model to the coupe (I think the bell housing is unique too).
Yes, the depth of the clutch housing necessitates the difference in the length of the input drive gear.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #10
FU

I'm going to just say that my experience with George at Rockland Gear was negative at best. In fact he still has one of my D44 rears and refuses to acknowledge it. Even though I personally handed him the rear for a gear change at my shop in Massapequa NY. This is before George moved his shop upstate to Sloatsburg NY.He is one of the very few vendors that I have ever had negative feed back with. Actually he ripped me off and he knows it.

Karma has a funny way of biting one in the *** , sooner or later.

Bill Boudroux , I can honestly say has gone out of his way to help me when I needed him.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote