ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-02-2016   #1
-=Jeff=-

Default ECM And Ignition Module Availability/ replacement

Alright.

I know there is the chance of having the ECM Repaired, if not there is a MegaSquirt variation, although every time I inquire for a price I hear crickets..

So is there going to be a megasquirt variation, with it what do you lose?

What about the Ignition module, What happens when they break? Where is the option for replacement?

Has the the registry thought about sponsoring or helping sponsor for the creation or recreation of this part. That is truly one of the major components that if we cannot get a replacement our motors become boat anchors..

thoughts?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #2
LGAFF

Default Re: ECM And Ignition Module Availability/ replacement

brought this up 3 years ago
no interest

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ht=development

I just talked to someone who does ignition module rebuilds on mercedes....gave me a company to call
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #3
RussMcB

I thought I had an email that mentioned the MS3-Pro (Megasquirt) price, but I can't find it. It was around $2,000.

I have it in my car and like it. The only missing functionality I've noticed is the MPG dash display.

I'm a bit ignorant about the ignition module. I'm assuming the MS3-Pro in my car is working in conjunction with the stock ignition parts.

Having the Registry work with DIY Tune for better prices is a great idea. I know the guys started the LT5 ECU because they think there's a potential market. They are also working with Graham at Lingenfelter, which is encouraging, and might help tackle the dash integration eventually.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #4
XfireZ51

I don't believe the MS solution includes replacing the IM. In speaking to Graham, he thought the current ignition was more than adequate, although I have always thought it to be an extremely critical and irreplaceable piece. I'd like to see an alternative developed that takes advantage of the current CnP technology.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #5
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
brought this up 3 years ago
no interest

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ht=development

I just talked to someone who does ignition module rebuilds on mercedes....gave me a company to call
That is sad that there was no interest for that.

While the IM might be Adequate.. what happens when/if these start to fail?

That is more the concern of mine

Russ, I know you mentioned price, i email ed them too.. I honestly doubt it is on their website yet and I emailed months ago for info
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 08-03-2016   #6
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I don't believe the MS solution includes replacing the IM. In speaking to Graham, he thought the current ignition was more than adequate, although I have always thought it to be an extremely critical and irreplaceable piece. I'd like to see an alternative developed that takes advantage of the current CnP technology.
I would be happy to see at a minimum a direct replacement DIS module that at least replaces the existing DIS Module. Truth be told folks if your DIS goes bad and you cant source a replacement you car is truly a paperweight. It would be great if the registry could support somebody taking on this project. The good news is the DIS truth be told has been pretty resilient hanging out under the plenum the past 26-27 years. I don't know where the break point is. A lot of us don't want to find out. Same goes for the ECM if its not rebuildable.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #7
Billy Mild

I have been dealing with older FI cars for some time now. What I have noticed is usually Cold Solder joints fail or capacitors/transistors die. Anyone who had an older TV back before they were really cheap may remember the TV repair man. They were good at working on small electronics and replacing these critical electrical components.

What we need to find an old DIS and send it off to an ECM rebuilder to see if it can be re-furbed. Such as redoing all the solder joints and replacing any questionable components. I had old TV repair shops do this for me in the past with great success.

Can anyone tell me exactly what the DIS does? Does the ECM not send any type of signal to the coils?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #8
A26B

The DIS (Ignition) Module is no small project. I have been working on a replacement for well over a year now and still actively pursuing the project.

The electronics are imbedded in epoxy, making access & repair of electronic components impractical.

Add to that, the program stored in the ROM chip cannot be read & code is unknown.

The "replacement" will be plug & play into the engine harness, although the electrionic connections may be wire leads from the module to the connector instead of the present one-piece mold for all 4 connectors. It will require utilization of the aluminum mounting plate from the original DIS module.

As for the development cost, I expect it to exceed $35,000.00 to produce beta test samples. Development will include actual engine dyno sessions before releasing the beta modules.

I hadn't planned on releasing this info because ultimate unit costs, delivery schedule, etc. are not known and always have hiccups along the way, but I couldn't ignore the concern for the future of our ZR-1's.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 08-03-2016 at 11:37 AM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #9
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
The DIS (Ignition) Module is no small project. I have been working on a replacement for well over a year now and still actively pursuing the project.

The electronics are imbedded in epoxy, making access & repair of electronic components impractical.

Add to that, the program stored in the ROM chip cannot be read & code is unknown.

The "replacement" will be plug & play into the engine harness, although the electrionic connections may be wire leads from the module to the connector instead of the present one-piece mold for all 4 connectors. It will require utilization of the aluminum mounting plate from the original DIS module.

As for the development cost, I expect it to exceed $35,000.00 to produce beta test samples. Development will include actual engine dyno sessions before releasing the beta modules.

I hadn't planned on releasing this info because ultimate unit costs, delivery schedule, etc. are not known and always have hiccups along the way, but I couldn't ignore the concern for the future of our ZR-1's.
Jerry, That is awesome that you are pursuing this. I am glad that this piece could potentially be made available. I understand it is a costly and lengthy project..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 08-03-2016   #10
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

The quest for both of these modules is a worthy endeavor, for sure! In fact, it has been kicking around for quite a while - and monitoring MS has been keenly observed.

The DIS module is critically important; made more so by limited availability of spares, and (frankly) Graham is and we're all aware of that.

I believe a Registry endeavor to resolve the availability of these critical parts is well within the purview of "Keeping The Legend Alive". At present, the club hasn't got an R&D entity or committee to address critical components. Maybe it is high time the Club should consider one? After all, these critical items aren't getting any more available with the passing years, right?

We're a NON-PROFIT organization. At the moment, the Registry budget (available to inspect by all club members on the Members Only site) is essentially balanced between dues and outlay for everything the Registry does (e.g., organizing local and regional gatherings, the FORUM licensing and maintenance, membership perks, etc.). We have to operate within the non-profit rules for tax exemption purposes.

NOT that we "can't" embark on a quest to resolve/develop (these) parts, and I believe maybe the Club should. But, we have to secure resources (people and $$$) to head up the development w/o nullifying our tax-exempt status; e.g., agreeing as a club to increase dues to fund efforts to procure say an outside source for the DIS module.

Having been involved in R&D (in a previous life), I have some ideas on some of the key points of such an endeavor, and I think the Club would benefit greatly by tapping into the enormous talent held by certain members of the organization, as well as others (e.g., Jerry) who may have already embarked on "the quest".

Discussion, pro-con, is welcome and healthy and certainly germane to the preservation of our cars . But, before volunteering "somebody or the BOD", understand it is going to require the commitment of tremendous time and effort and talent to guide the process through. And, to keep us out of legal trouble (taxes for one thing) certain steps will have to be considered and taken before any $$ collected or is diverted to the effort.
Note: Anything I've said here is w/o intent of malice, and I don't believe I have over-stepped any rules of decorum, far as being a member of the BOD goes, as it pertains to simply opening a discussing at this point. But, any Registry sanctioned/funded efforts (business) of this sort will have to be done with direct BOD involvement to assure we remain w/in legal (tax exempt) and by-laws guide lines. Independent persons/group efforts NOT entangling the Club in any way are not withstanding, of course.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 08-03-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote