ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-18-2021   #11
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Secondaries indicator?

Yeah I remember the LED mount. What I want to do would connect into my arduino that runs my LCD screen
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021   #12
Matt B

Phil, good idea! I'll give this a try.
My primary intention is not to monitor whether or not the secondaries are actually working but mainly to get a feeling when they switched on and off to use my gas pedal as effectively as possible to fire (and thereby clean) them.

Sent from my J9110 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022   #13
Matt B

Gents, now that my dash is pulled I took my chance to install my secondary indicator light and wiring.

Question is: where do I hook it up?
I'm an acceptable mechanic but completely lost when electricity gets involved.

Again, my intention is to have an indicator that tells me when my secondaries are actually active and firing during daily operation to get a better feeling when the my Z runs on full flow or primaries only.
So I can optimize secondary usage during part throttle / low rev operation.

My indicator should come when ECM activates the secondaries.

Stupid as I am I need a precise instruction according to the attached wiring scheme. Where should I pick ground and where hook up my positive lead?20220829_223542.jpg
ZR-1 #638/1991
Old 08-30-2022   #14
AndrewL

As somebody here suggested when I asked for advice on wiring in a shift light in another thread, have you considered using the spare accessory power lead that is available in the centre console?
AndrewL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022   #15
BlackZR1

Matt,
I added an LED indicator back in 2016. I didn't want to cut any wires or punch holes for the LED so i made a small bracket for a small green LED shown just under the fog light switch in the first pic:

I tied into the vacuum solenoid valve under plenum as Phil had suggested in an earlier post. This pic shows the valve on the right side with the 2 pinkish wires connected. You will need to tie into those 2 wires. I don't have a pic with my tie-in.

A few months later, I removed the secondary system and installed Marc's calibration to remove the secondary controls but I left the LED connected anyways just for fun. This pic shows the 2 LED wires running from the vac solenoid connector to LED.

I needed a couple of resistors and made up this simple circuit. You won't need R2 if you keep the vac solenoid connected but in my case, since I removed the secondaries and vac solenoid, I needed to add R2 because the LED would still glow faintly even when secondaries are off. This is due to the ECM output leakage even when off still able to drive the miniscule load of the LED.

In my case with Marc's secondary delete chip the LED is only off at idle. As soon as i touch the gas pedal the LED turns on (and so do the secondary injectors.) In the end, not much use for me but was informative when I had the secondaries working.
1990 ZR-1 #2699
Black on Black
15,000 miles
Full-time secondaries, 4.10 gears, C-beam plates, ported top end
BlackZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023   #16
Matt B

So, it's been a while but I finally got this issue sorted. Here's how - just in case anyone else decides to add this very useful control light to his or her dash.

My solution is easy to install without the need to dig into the car too much.
First install a control lamp. Mine sits in the spare space inside the center dash vent. Feel free to chose your space to your liking.
Maybe it would be cool to use a MY 90 control center and connect the "full power" control for that purpose. But I don't know if a 90s unit is compatible with later model years.
However, you wire needs to go next to the ECM.

To get ground unplug the green connector from the ECM. Cavity 17 (MY 91) houses a pink wire with black indicator. This connector is grounded by the ECM to activate the secondary throttle selenoid.

You will find your positive wire at (any of) your secondary power relays (MY 91) where you will find another pink wire with black indicator. It's on both relays so doesn't matter which you chose. This wire is linked to the INJ2 fuse (hot when ignition is on). Same color as above but different end of the electric range.

Now just hook up your control light to these two terminals. I removed the pin lock from the respective connectors, pulled the pins by using a thin needle to unlock them and then squeezed a thin wire between the water seal and wire insulation. Then I simply soldered the wire ends onto the terminal. I don't like cutting wires...

The light works super well and indicates whenever my secondaries are actually active. This now allows me to keep them firing even during coast. Interesting to know about the actual operation...

20230219_164853.jpg20230219_164925.jpg20230219_171521.jpg
ZR-1 #638/1991

Last edited by Matt B; 02-20-2023 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2023   #17
dredgeguy

That is an awesome mod and thanks for all the information.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023   #18
tpepmeie

Nice work. I?ve also always wondered if the Full Power lamp is still in place on the later cars.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[email]pepmeierengines@yahoo.com[/email]

[URL="http://toddpepmeier.wix.com/pepmeierengines"]visit our website[/URL]

[URL="http://pepmeierenginedevelopment.blogspot.com/"]Blog[/URL]

Friend us on Facebook too: [url="https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011443683384"] Pepmeier Engine Development[/url]
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023   #19
Matt B

Thanks!

I "x-rayed" my 91 controls with a strong led lamp. There is no full power light, unfortunately. Because THAT would have been the coolest of all solutions!

After 3 warm February days with my Z I can tell you that the indicator is just great!! It helps to optimize secondary operations in a way that's simply not possible without such an indicator. I now can keep them intentionally firing in about 90% of my ride, even during coasting at 60mls in 6th gear. I mean... If that's what you want...
ZR-1 #638/1991

Last edited by Matt B; 02-25-2023 at 07:34 AM.