ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-14-2003   #1
Anonymous

Default What are your ideas on repainting a ZR1?

Z Factor

I am considering a ZR1 in very good overall condition, but the paint has a decent amount of road rash/paint chips. It's also my least favorite color (that I know of) in an ugly shade of red (no offense to red owners, just my opinion).So my question is, how about changing the color to something I like. How much would it affect the resale value if I went with another stock color for that year ZR1, or maybe even another year? I'd hate to have a car that's paint bothered me every time I drove it (red will not grow on me over time), so I either must skip the car, or change the paint. What are your thoughts?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003   #2
Anonymous

It's your car, do what you like. I have seen quite a few ZR1's that have been repainted a non-original color. Later on if you sell it and someone wants to restore it to the original color they can repaint it again.
Old 12-14-2003   #3
Anonymous

Z Factor

Thanks for the reply.I just want to make sure it doesn't automatically de-value it by 15% or more. Sure the new owner could repaint it, but that is a hefty expense that might deter a sale.If the original paint doesn't matter on ZR1's great, but I know on older vettes it makes a big difference.
Old 12-14-2003   #4
Anonymous

I've been wondering the same thing. Even though my black is still shiny, it has its flaws. I would love to take it to the yellow. but don't want the police spotting me from 2 miles away and following me around. If I stay with the black, I thought about someting custom just to put a little "life" into it. Maybe ghost flames in a shade of blue. Maybe an American flag draped across the hood and down the side. Maybe a checkered flag. I don't want to make it gaudy (although in Las Vegas nothing is too gaudy), but it needs its own personality.Any suggestions? Interior is ...gray...
zr1mom|What are your ideas on repainting a ZR1?|24.61.94.195|yes|yes|1043285602|Value of Z's and for that matter any car are based on:1. Rarity2. Originality (paperwork)3. Mileage4. History (who owned it)5. Do I like it?What I mean is if the color has been changed or has a body kit, etc. Do I like it because it is different?One last factor is time, eventually all ZR-1's will become collectible but collectors will only pay the highest prices for the best they can get. In other words if every ZR-1 had 100,000 miles and one came on the market with 1,000 miles what would this car be worth?So yes a repaint will hurt you, to what degree will depend on color, is it original, and quality.
Old 12-14-2003   #5
Anonymous

My preference would be to keep it as a stock color. Once you change the original color of the car it doesn’t hold the value as well. Keep the matching numbers as close as possible and you’ll be better off on the long run. If you want a different color car, then hold off and find the one you want.
Old 12-14-2003   #6
Anonymous

Yeah....from a guy who owns a rare and beautiful AQUA ZR.
Old 12-14-2003   #7
Anonymous

Z Factor

I agree Dallas, it's easy for him to say Don't you want to buy a 95 once you sell your 91?
Old 12-14-2003   #8
Anonymous

Yeah, I'd love to get a '95. But, I'd have to sell both the '91 and my GTO to do that. Not that it would be a bad "sacrifice", but with all the work done on my '91 in the last year it wouldn't seem very practical. On the other hand, because I love to drive it so much, and I can't use the GTO for much more than occasional cruising, selling them both and getting a '95 may be better for me.
Old 12-14-2003   #9
Anonymous

What if I did a subtle change to Black Rose? Everyone seems to like that, and it's not too much of a change. I would also like to change to the '94-5 wheels, but haven't found any at a decent price.
Old 12-14-2003   #10
Anonymous

2 - Rear 5-spoke ZR-1 wheels excellent condition price reduced from $600 to $500 plus shipping.Set of Hoosier road racing slicks, 2 - 275's, 2 - 315's with 75% rubber. Price reduced to $350 plus shipping.Curtis Ward curtis@ACNETINC.COM