ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-24-2017   #21
mgbrv8

Default Re: Zr-1 World record run video

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
Great video. Thanks for posting.

Any more actual track video of the ZR-1 Record Run?

No problem sir

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017   #22
gbrtng

Corvette Blogger has some background text and the yootoob video:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017/...erm=2017-05-24

I still want to know who put this video together and when ...
Old 05-25-2017   #23
A1990

Bob Bubnis from the NCM did this and Mark told me when but I forgot. It was not at the 2017 gathering

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017   #24
Bob Eyres

We should encourage the NCM to do more of this. There are a few clips on their You Tube site, but all of us know that there are loads of other old films and video that really tell the story of Corvette.
The NCM could gradually assemble a fantastic resource, and become a dominant source of information on all aspects of Corvette.
The NCM could be the logical source for this as they can gain access to a vast trove of historic material from GM, and from enthusiasts worldwide. Much of this material has only a narrow interest within the overall Corvette hobby, but in aggregate, it would be a phenomenal resource.

This would cost money to put together. But, as an example, I recently noticed a Corvette site on You Tube called "Street Speed", where a young dude records everything he does with his late model Corvette, mods, racing, car shows, etc.
The production quality is terrible, but the guy does give a lot of info about the hobby, and the car.
What blew me away me was, in one segment he explained the "economics" of YouTube.
In it, he explains that at one point he was grossing $18,000+ a month on his channel! and that he makes his living doing this. Can you imagine what a source of revenue it would be for the NCM to tap into the worldwide interest in the Corvette, and the unique access it has to current, and historic, information to fund the museum and it's activities?

Am I missing something here, or could this be a great idea?
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017   #25
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
We should encourage the NCM to do more of this. There are a few clips on their You Tube site, but all of us know that there are loads of other old films and video that really tell the story of Corvette.
The NCM could gradually assemble a fantastic resource, and become a dominant source of information on all aspects of Corvette.
The NCM could be the logical source for this as they can gain access to a vast trove of historic material from GM, and from enthusiasts worldwide. Much of this material has only a narrow interest within the overall Corvette hobby, but in aggregate, it would be a phenomenal resource.

This would cost money to put together. But, as an example, I recently noticed a Corvette site on You Tube called "Street Speed", where a young dude records everything he does with his late model Corvette, mods, racing, car shows, etc.
The production quality is terrible, but the guy does give a lot of info about the hobby, and the car.
What blew me away me was, in one segment he explained the "economics" of YouTube.
In it, he explains that at one point he was grossing $18,000+ a month on his channel! and that he makes his living doing this. Can you imagine what a source of revenue it would be for the NCM to tap into the worldwide interest in the Corvette, and the unique access it has to current, and historic, information to fund the museum and it's activities?

Am I missing something here, or could this be a great idea?
I believe you have something there, Bob. While we the average Vette owner may enjoy wrenching, polishing, finessing, or driving his or her machine, there is much to be gained in the historical narrative. If at minimum, the incredible appreciation in all it took to get to a new level of success. (e.g., the ZR-1, and its World Record(s) Run)

For the past nearly six years, I've researched and studied aviation history - primarily aerial combat history. I've told story after story to many friends, fellow aviators, even strangers - if there was a connection to something they said. I cannot tell you how many listened with intent interest. Of course, a few I've put to sleep too. But most have come away with a fresh appreciation for where we are today, as well as an appreciation of those who've gone before us to sacrifice in aerial combat in the US armed forces.

There are so many either forgotten or untold stories out there that need to be told or retold. The same applies to here. One can and should learn from the challenges, perseverance, innovation and character of those who've designed, built, or raced these fine machines. It sure may be an untapped resource at this point.

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017   #26
G-Sting

Posting Hib's excellent historical narrative on the ZR-1 Record Run link here - in case some haven't seen it...

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25019
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017   #27
Bob Eyres

Hib's eye witness article, along with this video, and the material in "The Heart of the Beast" give you a great look at the whole story.
What impresses me most about the effort was that it was driven by enthusiasts within GM, despite corporate resistance.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #28
Hog

This is the very 1st video of the record run I have ever seen. Excellent.

Not a single GM or Chevrolet symbol was seen. Missed opportunity on corporates part.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017   #29
garyhugo

Back during the 20th anniversary Gathering Jim Van Dorn had a dinner at his shop and afterwards made available DVD's of the ZR-1 World Record Run. It is 28 minutes long. There is also a 5 minute Salute To Our Troops on the DVD.This is the best video documentary of the WRR that I have seen. I'll bet they are hard to find.