ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-14-2003   #1
Anonymous

Default Weight deduction

is it possible to get a ZR1 to weigh around 3000lbs????ive heard alot about how reliable the LT5 is, but havent heard much on how the car handles. Do ZR1s handle well ???? and does anyone know what the weight ratio is on the ZR1?? thx.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003   #2
Anonymous

Well let me put it this way, I drove in one doing just over 180mph with no fear. You can't even do this with a C5 as it would float to much. The C4 is one of the best cars out there for drving fast and still maintain good handleing. The weight ratio is about 51/49%.Can you lower the weight, sure, some options:Remove spare tireLow weight hoodReplace seatsHeadlights are very heavyLight weight wheelsYou should be pretty close to 3,000lbs at this point.
Old 12-14-2003   #3
Anonymous

Pete

I have gotten my Z down to 3200lbs.Seats,spare,cruise,shade,carpeting, front speakers,lighter battery,headers no cats/air pump,flywheel,skid bar(drilled holes),shims (aluminum shims), windsheild washer bottle w/fluid,and a few other little tid bits.I think i can minus another 10-15 lbs I'm also considering the Lexan rear glass and side windows i'm guessing maybe another 30-40 lbs savings.(Edited by Pete at 3:13 am on Jan. 7, 2003)
Old 12-14-2003   #4
Anonymous

I would agree with the above. The ZR1 is actually a "heavy" Corvette, being built not in the context of a weekend auto cross/drag racer, but more as an ultra high speed GT type car. In that kind of use, its weight is not much of an issue, and it is super stable, and handles well. But for the type of weekend events that the Z06 was built for, it is too heavy, and reducing the weight takes some serious work, as Pete has just described. There is probably some lower limit, I have never heard much claimed below 3200 without the car being severly compromised it wasn't a useful car on the street. Pete would probably agree. But I imagine at 3200 pounds, he has gotten some noticable improvement in acceleration and low speed handling.