ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-20-2017   #21
5ABI VT

Default Re: So finally GM acknowledges the LT5 as one of theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
(Source: Heart of the Beast) Small volume project: From the beginning the project was seen as a limited edition and the cost for GM Powertrain to tool up and develop and conduct the training, made sense to out-source the project.

MM was very successful building all-aluminum engines that were designed to run for extended periods at WOT. Initially, MM already had the manufacturing technical advances unique to precision manufacturing of aluminum engines as well as the trained personnel with the expertise to build these special motors to the extreme tolerances these motors would demand - already in place,. It was a good fit...and the "REST IS HISTORY".

An important footnote to the LT5 was the DOHC V8 developed by Oldsmobile which appeared as the Northstar in the Cadillac and variants of it continued to the Aurora as the L47 V8s.

These 4-cam, DOHV motors were expensive to build and expensive to implement on a large scale. As result, GM reverted back to the cheaper and much improved OHV motors, (thanks to the development and lessons learned from the LT5) for all of their gasoline V8 vehicle applications.
Their biggest mistake with the Northstar DOhc motors was lack of knowledge and they all had head gasket faliures because of their attempt at Dex-cool coolant. My parents had 2 Aurors and they still are the smoothest engines Ive ever had. I wish GM used Bigger displacement Northstars in the c5 and onwards because then i would be interested in having one !
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017   #22
Crusin

The LT5 engine cost as much as the car when ordering but was well worth the money as it made the ZR-1 special at the time. Love the sound as it whines out and still enjoy driving it today.
Crusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017   #23
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusin View Post
The LT5 engine cost as much as the car when ordering but was well worth the money as it made the ZR-1 special at the time. Love the sound as it whines out and still enjoy driving it today.
I really love the sound of the motor as it winds out. It has a turbine like whine to it.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017   #24
Crusin

That's the sound XfireZ51, let the good times roll.
Old 09-22-2017   #25
XfireZ51

Quote:
That's the sound XfireZ51, let the good times roll.
And the BWAaaaa as u open the throttle reminds me of an old QuadraJet.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 09-22-2017 at 11:52 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #26
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I really love the sound of the motor as it winds out. It has a turbine like whine to it.
Have a good friend of mine that was begging to drive my 90 Z. He has a friend that owns a Mustang of some sort, and he had experienced a wild ride (yeah, right) in it the weekend before and wanted to compare.

After this went on a while, I finally gave in.

We lined up on a straight country blacktop, free of traffic and driveways and he hit it from a rolling start. We accelerated smartly - turbine smooth - up to 5000 rpm and then he shifted into second!? I watched as he ran through second, again only as far as 5k (there abouts), and he shifted again. Third gear up to around 4k before letting off.

"That's pretty good!" he says. But, I gave him pause cuz I was apparently rolling my eyes and shaking my head. He asked what was wrong, so I told him that he short shifted, even before the torque peaked. He says he was going by the sound, and it sounded like it was winding out "pretty good."

Uh, huh... Well, we switched drivers and shot that stretch of blacktop again. Only this time I kept the hammer down to the shift light (7100 rpm) in the first 3 gears! Mind you he is an ex-cop, but the wide eyes and slack jawed expression said it all! (AND, I didn't have to hear about that Mustang anymore after that!)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-26-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #27
lfalzarano

Nothing like shifting at 7000 RPM's!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 09-27-2017   #28
Crusin

Paul Workman! you are one mean shifter, (lol) I bet his jaws did drop shifting at 7.000 RPMs in all 3 gears. In all the time I have had the Z, have to admit I have never tried it. Perhaps I shall someday. Cheers!
Old 09-27-2017   #29
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Paul Workman! you are one mean shifter, (lol) I bet his jaws did drop shifting at 7.000 RPMs in all 3 gears. In all the time I have had the Z, have to admit I have never tried it. Perhaps I shall someday. Cheers!
Little of what we took for gospel re: the small block Chevys applies to the characteristics of the DOHC LT5. And, mine is fully ported which unleashes the beast's full potential. Had to have Marc reset the rev limit to 7600 to keep from pinching the motor off before crossing the 1/4 mile finish line!

It makes over 430 rwhp and still retains the stock cams and TB (508ish at the crank) - further testimony to what GM left on the table when the LT5 program was halted prematurely. Purrs like a stocker w/o a hint of what lies under the hood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1YFa8ruh8A

Dave McLellan once said the LT5 should be run up to 7000 often, and the motor will thank you for it!

And, of course NO example of what the LT5 potential is would be complete w/o Pete Polatsidis' incredible NA, stock-bottom ZR-1...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-27-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017   #30
bb62

Just a note on how "ownership" of the engine was viewed. GM is (especially at that time) a huge company. Each of the respective organizations had their own culture in some ways. Certainly GM Corporate and the Chevrolet organization as a whole felt ownership of the LT5 and the Corvette as a whole. The NIH syndrome would only really apply to GM POWERTRAIN as their involvement was more limited. Even more so, the Powertrain organization is typically divided into different groups - Powertrain planning, Base Engine design, Engine-as-installed design, calibration, & manufacturing. Only the base engine design and manufacturing departments would not have been involved directly (though they had an oversight role).
bb62 is offline   Reply With Quote