Old 05-25-2020   #1
BlackZR1

Default Sunday in the Garage

Knocked a few things off my to-do list:
DeWitts Radiator
Jerry’s Radiator Coolant Hoses
Jerry’s Oil Cooler Hoses
Leaky oil pressure switch.

I was prepared to remove the oil filter housing to get at the leaky oil pressure switch but with the hoses out of the way I was able to get at it fairly easily. The old switch connector plug and socket were full of oil.
Oil cooler hose adapters in the housing were very tight as expected but a few taps with a hammer on the 1-1/8” box end broke them free (per Phil W’s tip.)
The only mistake I made was installing the new radiator and hoses before reinstalling the fan shroud. There was no way to wrestle the fan shroud in last and I didn’t want to remove the new radiator. (That short straight hose is a bugger to get on.)
So I tried removing the fans from the shroud, the installing the shroud and trying to wiggle the fans in from the bottom. No go. The slightly thicker radiator didn’t help.
Next I tried pulling the shroud back out, then laying the fans loose, against the engine roughly in position then sliding the shroud in place, then bolting the fans to the shroud. That worked.
Lastly, used Dynomite’s coolant refill burping method (blowing into the driver’s side “L”) to eliminate the potential air bubble in the water pump. Always seems to work well for me.
Thanks to the forum for all the great reference material.
1990 ZR-1 #2699
Black on Black
15,000 miles
Full-time secondaries, 4.10 gears, C-beam plates, ported top end
BlackZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote