ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-23-2019   #1
daniels

Default Maximizer exhaust

I wanted to share my experience with the Maximizer exhaust in case any of you are in the market for a new exhaust.
So the reason i wanted a new exhaust was that the previous owner of my car had replaced the center resonator with an x-pipe and opened up the stock mufflers and the result was just awful headache inducing DRONE.

So i didn't want a really loud exhaust, i like to make my cars usable and fun to take on long drives and i had read that the Maximizer had a mellow sound and no drone. So i decided to try it out.

I had the exhaust system installed in a shop and had them put in a new gas tank while they were at it. It took them about 5 hours to put the system in since it needed some tweaking but they did a really good job and it all fits real nice.

Then it was time for a test drive to see if it had fixed the drone, i took a long drive with lots of low rpm driving and man this thing feels totally different car just nice and smooth and no drone what so ever so far. So overall i'm really happy with it.

Here is a video so you can hear what it sounds like at low rpm right where the drone was the worst before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y1W...ature=youtu.be

daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019   #2
Bob Eyres

Default Re: Maximizer exhaust

I don't know how many Dynos there are in Reykjavic, but that would have told you some of the price you had to pay for a more mellow exhaust.
Some of the best sounding exhausts available, such as Borla, don't give much of a horsepower increase. It all depends on your priorities.
Thanks for the video, it is great to see one of the "Beasts" on the roads of your beautiful country. You should name it after Brennivin, the famous Icelandic drink, "Black Death".

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019   #3
tgonyaw

Thanks for the update.
Nice to know this is a "no drone" option along with the Corsa. Some postings suggest this is a "Corsa copy".

Nice scenery on your test drive!
tgonyaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019   #4
Ccmano

Love mine, no drone but don’t expect them to sound like Corsa’s. More of a lower muscle car sound.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019   #5
RichS

I have these on mine as well. Nice and deep with no drone compared to the power effects that was on it when I bought it. Definitely had to "massage" a few pipes to fit better and welded the seams instead of clamps.
1994 ZR-1 #198, sold
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48400173802_2a6f122cfb_n.jpg[/IMG]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]96 GrandSport#857[/COLOR],[COLOR=Red]Red Gut[/COLOR]
397 LT4, AFR heads,3:90 gears, DRM longtubes, Sepanek 700R4, Yank 3600, bla-bla...
Best ET w/396 & 6-speed 11.02 @126.57 w/1.60 60'
Best ET w/396 & 700r4 10.82 @124.87 w/1.48 60'
2003 DarkShadowGray Ford Lightning 460rwhp/550rwtq 12.11 @112.18 w/1.71 60'
RichS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019   #6
secondchance

I suspected Maximizer to be same exhaust marked as OBX but with black finish.
I have been running OBX since 2010 or 2011. I always felt OBX to be a terrific exhaust and also enjoyed more muscle car sound compared to Corsa.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019   #7
daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
I don't know how many Dynos there are in Reykjavic, but that would have told you some of the price you had to pay for a more mellow exhaust.
Some of the best sounding exhausts available, such as Borla, don't give much of a horsepower increase. It all depends on your priorities.
Thanks for the video, it is great to see one of the "Beasts" on the roads of your beautiful country. You should name it after Brennivin, the famous Icelandic drink, "Black Death".
I haven't taken it to a dyno but i don't think i gave up any power compared to the previous set up in fact it feels a bit quicker than before. Yeah Black Death would definitely be a great name for it
Old 06-25-2019   #8
daniels

Yeah the Maximizer and OBX don't sound like the Corsa even though they look much the same on the outside. Corsa is higher pitched and raspier from what i have heard. And yes i belive OBX and Maximizer are pretty much the same exept for the black finish, i even got OBX stickers in the box with the exhaust.
Old 06-25-2019   #9
Ccmano

I had Power Effects on my previous Z for a while. A beautifully manufactured system but very heavy and the drone was the worst of any system I have ever tried. And yes OBX and Maximizer are the same manufacturer.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019   #10
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
I had Power Effects on my previous Z for a while. A beautifully manufactured system but very heavy and the drone was the worst of any system I have ever tried. And yes OBX and Maximizer are the same manufacturer.
H
My experience as well, Hans. I corresponded with the owner of Power Effects about how to fix the drone via Helmholtz resonators but he was in process of selling the brand so didn't care. They are still available as they were back in the '90s. I tested Power Effects, Borla, Desert Development (Loud with drone worse than PE!), stock Corsa and a Corsa that I modified to mellow the sound a little bit with chambers that combined the flow from both pipes. Used the latter for many years on the '93, then a stock Corsa on the '95, then back to stock with electric cutouts. Liked the last one the best. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote