ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-31-2016   #1
RichS

Default Issue or not?

New to me 94Z 24,000. I posted on my test drive I was unsure if the car was really pulling that hard, but was smooth. Thought maybe I didn't have the valet key on. Monday I brought the car home on a trailer since I didn't trust the 22 year old tires. Found out it does have a chip so it is always on. After work and washing it, I ran it up the street with the wife in the pass seat. Once I hit the main road I pulled out in 1st then floored it. It pulled ok and smooth but nothing crazy? No traction issues or asr active light. Hit 2nd at 7500, chirped the tires enough to see the asr active light flash. Then I left off, wife said "that's it?" lol

I did try turning off the power key in 3rd and floored it. Pulled slower as expected. So my question is if you stomp on a stock car in 1st should it spin the tires a bit at least? Been a long time since my GS was stock to remember how it was stock, but before the stroker it was 367RWHP and pulled pretty hard and spun the tires at will and went 11.80's. I figured this car should be a bit squirly on the bottom end with the old tires.

I pulled the wheels to get new tires mounted but, I changed the fuel filter (looked original) old one had a little resistance blowing thru. Going to replace the plugs, clean airfilter, all the fluids, brakes rotors ect before I take it out again. The vaccum pump runs for only a few seconds with the key on, if I unhook the line it turns on. So think I have a issue or am I desensitized with all my other high hp cars?
Thanks!
1994 ZR-1 #198, sold
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48400173802_2a6f122cfb_n.jpg[/IMG]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]96 GrandSport#857[/COLOR],[COLOR=Red]Red Gut[/COLOR]
397 LT4, AFR heads,3:90 gears, DRM longtubes, Sepanek 700R4, Yank 3600, bla-bla...
Best ET w/396 & 6-speed 11.02 @126.57 w/1.60 60'
Best ET w/396 & 700r4 10.82 @124.87 w/1.48 60'
2003 DarkShadowGray Ford Lightning 460rwhp/550rwtq 12.11 @112.18 w/1.71 60'
RichS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Issue or not?

Rich did you verify the green LED to the right bottom of the key is on? When you put the key in run mode but don't start the car does the Service Engine Soon light illuminate briefly In the DIC before going out once you start the car ? Other lights will also illuminate I am trying to verify the bulb is not burned out or been pulled. IF a SES code is present the car will not go into full power mode. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #3
RichS

Green light is on, goes of and on with the key. Pretty positive the check engine light is on with the key. I just got the OBD1 plug for my Snap-on scanner yesterday. I will check for codes tomorrow, The battery was low when I first looked at the car and it wouldn't start. (a Thursday) then drove it the following Sat after they charged it up and put some gas in it. I also wondered if they filled it with regular gas?
1994 ZR-1 #198, sold
397 LT4, AFR heads,3:90 gears, DRM longtubes, Sepanek 700R4, Yank 3600, bla-bla...
Old 08-31-2016   #4
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Green light is on, goes of and on with the key. Pretty positive the check engine light is on with the key. I just got the OBD1 plug for my Snap-on scanner yesterday. I will check for codes tomorrow, The battery was low when I first looked at the car and it wouldn't start. (a Thursday) then drove it the following Sat after they charged it up and put some gas in it. I also wondered if they filled it with regular gas?
Hmm if the chip has the key always on then the green led should stay lit whenever you start the car. As the key module behind the key is bypassed. OK All C4s are battery whores and strange things happen if they are not fully charged. So I'm back to verifying the SES light is present as stated before and then check for codes. You should feel a notible difference even though you used to Fast cars. Reg pump gas can't just be the issue

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 08-31-2016   #5
RichS

Just made sure. Check engine light on with the key. I'll scan it tomorrow after work. Thanks!
1994 ZR-1 #198, sold
Old 08-31-2016   #6
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Just made sure. Check engine light on with the key. I'll scan it tomorrow after work. Thanks!
Ok yeah scan for codes but my concern is not a hard code is being set.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 09-01-2016   #7
Kevin

could be a vac leak, could be bad injectors. on 22 year old rubber you should be spinning them.
Old 09-01-2016   #8
Racinfan83

My 90 won't just light em up on a first gear stomp. I have nearly new Nitto 555's and am basically stock. It will break traction on a first gear stomp - just won't light em up and go sideways or anything like that... ??? No codes and pulls hard. I have a Haibeck chip
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #9
XfireZ51

You are now in the world of higher rpm torque and power peaks. Things start to happen after the first 1/8th mile.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #10
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
You are now in the world of higher rpm torque and power peaks. Things start to happen after the first 1/8th mile.

I totally agree with Xfire.....These cars were designed to be ultra smooth and powerful at the higher RPM range. Unlike your Grand Sport, when stock, ran out of steam around 6000 RPMs? A 1996 Grand Sport also won't go 180 MPH from the factory.......Totally different power bands. I have never driven a 1992 or up Z, so I don't about about traction control or anything that went on later Corvettes. But my 1991 is 100% stock, besides the injectors...... And when I floor mine say in 1st, it will throw the back end out ( making me smile ear to ear ) and spin the tires. The tires will just silently spin until you let off or shift. You should feel a big surge at about 3000 RPMS. Anyone who rides in my car usually says Oh my God when I get on my Beast. I echo the thought of a bad injector or vacuum leak.

Last edited by rush91; 09-01-2016 at 09:55 AM.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote