ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-03-2014   #1
stuntmanmike

Default Question on ultra low mile ZR1s

Hey Guys,
New to to the forum, and looking to purchase my first ZR1/Vette.

What are your thoughts on buying a ZR1 with less than 1000 miles? Safe to assume there may have been years where the car didnt run - do you see issues with seals, gaskets, bushings, etc. drying out, cracking?

Any sense of what kind of work would need to be done to get one of these roadworthy?

Thanks,
Mike
stuntmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #2
Kevin

Default Re: Question on ultra low mile ZR1s

money...lots of money. for the premium a no mile car will bring you're better off getting a higher mile car and driving that and saving the rest for repairs
Old 01-03-2014   #3
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmanmike View Post
Hey Guys,
New to to the forum, and looking to purchase my first ZR1/Vette.

What are your thoughts on buying a ZR1 with less than 1000 miles? Safe to assume there may have been years where the car didnt run - do you see issues with seals, gaskets, bushings, etc. drying out, cracking?

Any sense of what kind of work would need to be done to get one of these roadworthy?

Thanks,
Mike
Welcome

Less than 1,000 miles will be way Over Priced as a collector ZR-1 if you are looking for reliability/driving fun. Exactly as you say....maybe some of the normal issues which are age related having nothing to do with driving. The best mileage I have found is between 50K and say 75K miles. You should have someone knowledgeable check anything you are considering buying first just as a precaution.

But on the other hand........You apparently plan on driving (roadworthy) a ZR1 with less than 1,000 miles on it which is fine and the kicks you get out of driving an essentially show room ZR1 might be worth it to you.

Again.....change the fluids and if no check engine lights and no misses at any speed........and if the vacuum pump shuts off within a few seconds with key on......go for it

I think what everyone will suggest is that the value of the ZR1 drops quickly as you add miles beyond a very low mileage ZR1 to say 30,000 miles more or less. But the value of the fun driving a showroom ZR1 may be worth it as that is no different than say buying a showroom any model in essentially new condition.

The most important test I do up front is a compression test after that just pull the plenum and eliminate TB coolant and recondition everything under the plenum (secondaries, injectors, starter, coils) and you will have a very reliable driver no matter the original miles.

Seals unlikely, gaskets unlikely, bushings and tires hardened but not worn......If there is a check engine light or a miss at any speed or if the vacuum pump does not shut off within a few seconds with key on.........Probably pull plenum and recondition/replace injectors, change Engine oil, Transmission oil, and Differential oil as well as make sure you have green antifreeze 1825M GM Spec. LT5/ZR-1 Fluids

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-06-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #4
A1990

A ZR-1 with <1000 miles is a museum/collector piece. If you want to buy a ZR-1 to drive, and you have a budget to buy a collector car, buy a low mile (10,000-30,000 mile) 95 ZR-1.

If you are thinking that you should buy this ultra low mile car, put it in your collection and don't worry about driving it.
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer

Last edited by A1990; 01-04-2014 at 02:20 AM.
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #5
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1990 View Post
A ZR-1 with <1000 miles is a museum/collector piece. If you want to buy a ZR-1 to drive, and you have a budget to buy a collector car, but a low mile (10,000-30,000 mile) 95 ZR-1.

If you are thinking that you should buy this ultra low mile car, put it in your collection and don't worry about driving it.
Mike,
Dennis just nailed it. If this is a buy for the low miles to keep in a collection then doing a few things (fluids, plugs etc) would be it. As it sits with that kind of mileage that would be the best thing. Low mileage cars get more rare all the time. A low mileage car is very unlikely to have engine damage.

If you intend to drive the car and want it to remain worth max $ (should you want to sell it later) then I would not do mods that are hard to undo. It's rare that a heavily modified and customed ZR-1 will retain it's value well. (that must be clarified to be obviously my opinion)

If max speed and performance is the goal and resale value is of no or less concern then get out your check book and have fun. The $ is the lesser concern.

In any case weigh carefully any advice you get to modify the car until you fully get the pros and cons.

Most ZR-1s out there, being as old as they are now, have been maintained
and those that have been ripped up will be fairly easy to spot.
Good luck with which ever car you pick.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people

Last edited by scottfab; 01-06-2014 at 09:24 PM.
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #6
Racinfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1990 View Post
A ZR-1 with <1000 miles is a museum/collector piece. If you want to buy a ZR-1 to drive, and you have a budget to buy a collector car, but a low mile (10,000-30,000 mile) 95 ZR-1.

I am less then a year into this (got my Z last April) - but from all I have read and learned - ^^^ exactly!
Just for reference - I got mine with 17k miles on it and I have dropped about $4k on it already. Had Marc Haibeck do injectors, coils, coolant flush and remove radiator and clean it, + his chip. I have also gotten the A/C switched over to R134, had an issue with a brakelight switch, and have replaced any interior pieces that were cracked. I have a set of '95 Sport seats and stuff to put them in sitting in garage right now ( if you are a bigger guy the 90-93 Sport seats might not be too comfy - I'm 6'1" 225) And I still have to drop another $1k on a set of tires (long story)
SO - if you want a DRIVER - get one that has had all the stuff done to it already and DRIVE it. If you want a collector - pay the $ and let er sit... JMO
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #7
lisounds

i purchase a low mile 1995 red z back in september
the car had a little over 2,400 miles
the owner stated that over the years he did drive it around the neiborhood and open it up a little for maintenance
before buying it i took it for a test ride check all options and the only thing i found wrong was a leaky clutch slave cylinder
which i had rebuilt by power torque (excellant service )
since then i have driven the car on 3 short drives totaling 100 miles
and so far so good
i do know that it is a 19 years old that is near brand new and there will be a few small issues from time to time ( now that i jinxed myself)
but for me i enjoy the fact that the condition of the car is perfect ( paint , interior, weatherstrip etc.) and i know the history of it.

buy what you like ... be happy with your purchase... and do with it what you want

life is short
lisounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #8
Schrade

I had a chance to buy a 14k car for only a few $C more than the 32k car that I ended up getting. Only if the 14k car been a few $C CHEAPER, would I have considered it, all else being equal...........
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #9
Blue Flame Restorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
Mike,
Dennis just nailed it. If this is a buy for the low miles to keep in a collection then doing a few things (fluids, plugs etc) would be it. As it sits with that kind of mileage that would be the best thing. Low mileage cars get more rare all the time. A low mileage car is very unlikely to have engine damage.

If you intend to drive the car and want it to remain worth max $ (should you want to sell it later) then I would not do mods that are hard to undo. It's rare that a heavily modified and customed ZR-2 (ZR-2 meaning not a ZR-1 anymore) will retain it's value well.

If max speed and performance is the goal and resale value is of no or less concern then get out your check book and have fun.

In any case weigh carefully any advice you get to modify the car until you fully get the pros and cons.

Most ZR-1s out there, being as old as they are now, have been maintained
and those that have been ripped up will be fairly easy to spot.
Good luck with which ever car you pick.
I agree. Read all kinds of posts and threads here and soak up the good, bad and ugly in regards to stock and modded cars. There is a way to mod a ZR-1 with excellent results. You'll learn these methods here. Some people will even pay a premium for a properly modded car.

Many of us here modify our ZR-1's and enjoy them just as many here enjoy their completely stock ZR-1's.
And if your preference is a 100% stock ZR-1, you're in the right place to keep it maintained that way.

This is a great place to be if you love the ZR-1!

Long live the ZR-1.

Brett Henderson
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project

Last edited by Blue Flame Restorations; 01-06-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #10
Dynomite

Default Having Fun Modifying the ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame Restorations View Post
I agree. Read all kinds of posts and threads here and soak up the good, bad and ugly in regards to stock and modded cars. There is a way to mod a ZR-1 with excellent results. You'll learn this methods here. Some people will even pay a premium for a properly modded car.

Many of us here modify our ZR-1's and enjoy them just as many here enjoy their completely stock ZR-1's.
And if your preference is a 100% stock ZR-1, you're in the right place to keep it maintained that way.

This is a great place to be if you love the ZR-1!

Long live the ZR-1.

Brett Henderson

Concur Completely and I have no clue and have not seen a ripped up ZR-1 or ripped up LT5

There were NO modifications that cannot be reversed. There was nothing against (Cons) any of the Modifications. All Modifications improved performance, reliability, and value of the LT5s, L98 and ZR-1s.

My ZR-1s and Corvette (L98) all run perfectly and are modified/improved each differently (a 90', 91', and a 90')

See.........
LT5 Eliminated Systems
Marc Haibeck on LT5 Eliminated Secondaries
LT5 Added Systems

90' LT5

91' LT5

90' L98

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-05-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote