Default Re: Coil Over Installation

Hope to get some options tomorrow. I'll post when I do. Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #12
Demps

Well, here's what I've learned so far:

Front:
Haven't removed the front spring yet. Ran out of time. Wanted to remove everything that I needed fab work on. There are options for front mods from using all of your equipment, drilling new holes in the frame, and expanding shock tower to relocating the front sway bar & using smaller bushing mounts and heim links. Well, I'm not too big a fan of modifying the frame. Therefore, I thought I'd just have a local shop (in BF Florida) make the mount. Well, turns out it is expensive for such a small run. Welcome to the ZR-1 world you say...yes I agree. So, off to Guildstrand to buy a front block of aluminum with four bolts for $85 list...oh and they won't process the order for some reason after a day of trying.

Rear:
Spring removed. Bolt removed to shave the head and reverse. Frame not modified. Once again, thought it would be easy to "make" a new shock bracket. (D!mn, had access to a CNC machine at my previous job.) Not so much on the setup cost for making them...for now. I did learn this: the bracket is tempered and pressed. HARD! If a bracket were made, thickness would be critical to the gear seating correctly and must be strong because the rear weight will rest on the mount. The concerning part was the bracket's mounting bolt holes were slightly elongated and the bracket was not precisely flat still. If I reuse them, I will check them after a short while for their ultimate strength and shape.

So, I'm at the ZR-1 point. (definition: that point in the modification process at which you are waiting on parts). More later.

Ted
Old 01-20-2010   #13
-=Jeff=-

you check with Carter here on the forum for the rear stuff?

he is a machinist
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #14
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
Well, here's what I've learned so far:

Front: So, off to Guildstrand to buy a front block of aluminum with four bolts for $85 list...oh and they won't process the order for some reason after a day of trying.
What part number are you buying Ted?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #15
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
What part number are you buying Ted?
my guess is this part:
http://guldstrand.com/scripts/prodVi...?idproduct=144
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 01-20-2010   #16
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post

This is what is needed to reposition the front bar as well correct? Do you know whats needed for the rear Jeff?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #17
Demps

Quote:
Yes, but standby. Carter and I are conversing via email. He may be able to help us...

Locobob post on CF:

Last edited by Demps; 01-20-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2010   #18
carter200

Quote:
you check with Carter here on the forum for the rear stuff?

he is a machinist
Talking/typing with him now

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #19
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
This is what is needed to reposition the front bar as well correct? Do you know whats needed for the rear Jeff?
that is the front piece yes

the rear you need:

flip trailing arm bolts and grind down the head part way
move the top of the shock forward 1/2"
to do that you either weld and drill and new hole in the plate or 2 holes in the frame.

you also need to open the frame to allow room for the FX3 gear assembly to clear the frame too
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 01-20-2010   #20
carter200

Ted,
Where'd you go?