ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-26-2015   #11
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Jumper to avoid being stranded with a failed Primary Fuel Pump

Outstanding Mod. Im an electrical noob. Who wants to make a run of these? Jim? tell me where to send the money.. Outstanding
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #12
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
I haven't verified by ordering the connector for the pump side of the connection. I got the connector I used from a take-out fuel pump assembly from WAZOO donated parts. I THINK (but haven't verified) that GM 88861069 is the female connector, but I can't find a source with a picture.

Jim
Thanks Jim
I am not so sure about that GM88861069 for female connector. I cannot find that on Amazon. If someone finds a source of that female connector that would be great......
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #13
GOLDCYLON

Hmm i'm piecing some parts together. If it works out I could make a small run of these to those who are interested if Jim is not adverse to it. Jim any issues since its your idea ?

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 05-26-2015   #14
mike100

I like the idea of having one to throw in the storage bin. If somebody orders a bag of the connectors, I'll chip in. I think this same plug is used in a couple of different spots so it may also be possible to find another GM car that has this and clip a few next trip to the wrecking yard. Sometimes just buying new parts is less work though.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #15
QB93Z

I also had trouble finding the female connector, which is why I cannibalized an old unit to get the connector.

There are many uses of the four-tower weather pack connector, but you have to get the one that is "keyed" for this application. There are slots and ridges that have to be in the right places. I will try again to ID the correct connector.

If some one wants to make these it is fine with me.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #16
WVZR-1

The connector shell on the "TANK UNIT" is actually MALE but is a female gendered connector because of the terminals inserted.

These are very basic Weather-Pack and the most economical approach is just by the appropriate male, female connector "shell" and create your own indexing. You need to remember when discussing GM/Packard/Delphi connectors that it's the terminal that dictates the "gender" and NOT the shell. Weather-Pack is unique because either a female or male terminal can be inserted into the shell. It depends on the component just how it's configured. A VSS uses a backward assembly procedure.

Any NAPA, or truck parts supplier can supply you with the shells, the terminals, the seals used in the assembly.

These people catalog Weather-Pack pretty well and have all of the correct seals, terminals and cavity plugs needed. They actually have pig-tails also and theirs would be actual Weather-Pack and not a similar assembly done by PICO or some other "off-shore" supplier. You could pin and unpin theirs at will.

http://www.whiteproducts.com/weather_pack.shtml

I buy from another vendor but these guys image things pretty well.

I have an application reference for "indexed" shells but most are discontinued so it's somewhat irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
I did something similar, but not as nice. I just cut the to FP wires and inserted crimp-on bullet male/female connections, so it's pretty easy to unplug them and reattach them Gray to Green and Green to Gray.
If you wanted you could "tidy up" yours just by using two way Weather-Packs, one pair to correct where the "bullets" are now and a second pair done to accomplish the "cross-over".

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-26-2015 at 07:11 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #17
QB93Z

In my stash of connectors, I found the second connector that I ordered

The connector that is on the Fuel Pump Assembly (Tank Unit) is in fact the male (my info above was in error, thanks WVZR-1). It is GM 88861069, AC Delco PT2141.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00.../ref=as_int_dp

If you want to assemble a jumper from two replacement (new) connectors, take care to keep the wire sequences correct. The new connectors are pigtail sets that are not color coded.

The terminals are marked A - B - C - D The normal wiring ID is:

A - Black - DC Ground
B - Purple - Fuel gauge signal
C - Gray - Fuel Pump
D - Green/white - Fuel Pump

To make the crossover, switch the C and D terminals on one end of the jumper.

A-------------------------A

B-------------------------B

C---------\ /-------------C
D---------/ \-------------D

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #18
WVZR-1

These I believe would be the correctly "indexed" shells for the harness:

12020832 looks to be indexed A @ 12:00 (black) and D @ 3:00 (green/white) with the latch on top, this is what is currently on the sender with female terminals in it. Several vendors have that shell. 12020830 should be an appropriate shell for mating and would require just the appropriate male terminals. I don't know why you would need the CPA but 12020833 would get you that if you wanted a couple.

15324982 should be the correct green seals for the individual wires in the connectors.

I'll post back with what I believe should be the appropriate terminals. I don't recall the wire sizes and I'll need Jim to verify the indexing of the shell on the tank unit. I'm doing that mostly from memory but I believe it's appropriate.

Mouser it appears seems to have the correct shells and the CPA. Just use the part numbers I mentioned above to search. They could be available from many others and I don't buy often from Mouser but I've had good service in the past. Their "minimum" best I recall was very realistic and if someone was doing a few of these it would likely be appropriate to just let that person do the procuring from whomever. I didn't check the vendor I use for these part numbers.

http://www.mouser.com/

12089040 for male terminals I believe (I assumed .5 - .8 wire) and 12089188 for the female terminal.

Part #'s required per car:

12020832 X 1, 12020830 X 1, 15324982 X 8, 12089040 X 4, 12089188 X 4 and 12020833 X 1 if you wanted the CPA.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-26-2015 at 08:44 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #19
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
The Fuel Pump Test Connection in the wire bundle near the ECM cannot power the fuel pumps when the ignition is ON.

The fuel pump test connection is very useful when 12 Vdc is applied with an ammeter. A running fuel pump will draw about (I don't remember the exact number) 4 amps. If the ammeter reading is > 8 amps, then two pumps are running in test mode.

Jim
Dumbassed question. I should know that.
Sorry.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #20
GOLDCYLON

Ive talked to my local electrical guy about making these. We figure $30 shipped Lower 48. I have asked him about making a run of 20 if we have enough interest. Once we have ten signed up I will tell him to start making them and start ordering the connectors and wire and post up the prototype

1. GOLDCYLON
2. PHILLIPSLT5
3. GEEZER (Canada)
4. ZR1North
5. GSJOE X 2
6. CHRISKINZEL
7. CVETTE98PACECAR X2
8. DYNOMITE X4
9. NELSON007 X2
10. WEGONE
11. SCOTTZ95ZR-1 x2
12. MYSTICZR-1
13. DEMPS
14. ROADSTER
15. HAWAIIZR-1
16. ANDY
17. HIZNHRZ
18. 90206

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 05-29-2015 at 12:00 PM.