ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-18-2014   #11
Schrade

Default Re: 4.10 gears...not what I expected.

I'm gonna' go the OTHER way here, after I get the pipes hung - 3.45 -> 3.07, since I've lost some top end with the 4L60e. Tach is just a little high @ 70, and it will add up to less wear on longer trips, and less fuel to boot.

I think that 3.07 is my only option here.

I found it interesting to learn that the original track car had a 3.07 installed...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #12
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
porting and exhaust are what I would always go after first....

porting 30-40hp
Exhaust 15-20hp
You could even run the stock exhaust if on a budget, put in an X-pipe and some decent mufflers....

$1000-1200 for 45-60hp and more RPM range

Headers would be next
My exhaust is wide open after the cats. Headers coming soon.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #13
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Marc says, "18% more torque to the wheels. All of the time!" Of course, gears don't change flywheel HP but gears, by definition, multiply torque and more gear is supposed to provide more torque at the end of the equation. Surprisingly, my car is not even any more tail-happy than before. Extremely disappointing for what's talked about as the "best upgrade ever."
Gear to gear at any rpm yes more torque with the 4.10's but.... speed in gears is now different and at certain vehicle speeds the 3.45 car is going to be in a lower gear than the 4.10 car therefore the 3.45 will effectively have more torque in certain speed ranges. Numerically taller gears will not make every car faster in every circumstance, gears should be chosen based on the cars power output, traction, intended purpose and driving style.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #14
PhillipsLT5

Would of been nice to see before/after dyno sheets
I still think you made a good move and only will compliment the rest of your future mods
You should now be at aprox 2200RPM @ 75MPH
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #15
Dynomite

Default Re: 4.10 gears...Are NOT for everyone

Quote:
Oh no, don't get me wrong: I do NOT doubt Marc. I fully understand the physics of his claim and I know it to be true. My issue is with the EFFECT of the "upgrade". So much was made of it by many that I think I just expected too much. However, going by just the numbers, I think you can understand why I expected a pretty drastic difference. I figured my car (Marc's chip, open exhaust) with stock gears was getting roughly 340 lb/ft of torque to the rear wheels at peak. Multiply that 1.18 and I'm over 400 lb/ft at peak. On paper, that is a DRASTIC difference in twist and I expected a big SOTP effect that I did not realize.
I understand the expectation given all the talk. But for those that do not understand the physics/math I thought a good time to confuse them more

Like LGAFF suggests.....if you want real seat of the pants feel of accomplishment.....ADD HORSEPOWER which is pretty easy on the LT5

The 410s do let you get 6th gear into play more often.

Last edited by Dynomite; 05-19-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #16
WARP TEN

I think it is all just a personal thing. I loved getting my 4:10s on my 93 early in its life with me. I felt it really improved my normal around town driving and cruising on the highway. Gears were also one of the first mods I did when I got my 95. To me the car feels quicker. Subjective I realize. I like the usefulness of sixth gear now. It does make the tires spin more but new tires recently helped a lot with that. WARP TEN ran a 12.4/116 at BG this week (admittedly with Marc H driving) and he wasn't power shifting. Overall I am happy with the mod; sorry you don't like them that much. Lots of folks are perfectly happy with stock gears but I am glad I switched. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #17
mike100

If you got 340 rwtq on a dyno in 4th gear you will still get 340rwtq in 4th gear, but at a different speed (lower). There is a trade off- obviously free power isn't created, it is just shifted around by moving the torque curve left or right with respect to rpm, speed, time etc.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #18
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
If you got 340 rwtq on a dyno in 4th gear you will still get 340rwtq in 4th gear, but at a different speed (lower). There is a trade off- obviously free power isn't created, it is just shifted around by moving the torque curve left or right with respect to rpm, speed, time etc.
But how does that square with having "18% more torque to the rear wheels at all engine rpm?" That statement tells me that if I was putting down 340 lb/ft at 4800 rpm with stock gears, then I'm now putting down 401.2 lb/ft at 4800 rpm. Am I oversimplifying or misunderstanding the statement?
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #19
Dynomite

Quote:
But how does that square with having "18% more torque to the rear wheels at all engine rpm?" That statement tells me that if I was putting down 340 lb/ft at 4800 rpm with stock gears, then I'm now putting down 401.2 lb/ft at 4800 rpm. Am I oversimplifying or misunderstanding the statement?
You traded wheel spin for wheel torque........same horsepower. Your wheel spin dropped 18%...the guy you were racing just out ran you
18% more torque to the rear wheels at all engine rpm is a true statement. The wheel spin drop at all engine rpm was not mentioned

Last edited by Dynomite; 05-19-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #20
Schrade

Just hung up with Psychic Hotline. They said heated discussion on the way yup...

This statement needs quantification, for starters...
Quote:
"18% more torque to the rear wheels at all engine rpm?"
And I think a more judicious use of the term "multiply torque" is in order.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 05-19-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote