ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-25-2013   #11
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Locobob's Interior Mod Thread

Now I know what wheel I want.. How much was it?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #12
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Now I know what wheel I want.. How much was it?
Crowders has them 10% off - list was like $295ish
It's a really nice wheel in person, high quality/feels great, the online pics don't really do it justice.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #13
rkreigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
Here is the new steering wheel: Momo Commando... hub kit wasn't in the box so I guess it is shipping separately.

Matches the factory red fairly well... I think it has a little less orange in it

love that wheel! looking to go "mod red" in my 95 ZR-1 and this is the bomb. kinda hate giving up the air bag but like Ron White says

"make sure you hit something hard, I don't want to limp away from this"

the way I drive the air bag isn't gonna make much difference!

also thinking of "doing away" with the valet key switch and just use a plain old c4 piece. I don't have secondaries and can just throw it behind the valence piece.

let me know how well the carbon fiber wrap works. like to try that too.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #14
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
Perhaps some of you electrically savvy types can help me with a few things. I have the heated seat kit on the way, comes with switch so should just be a two wire install. Anyhow I have this unused connector under each seat which is for the sport seat lumbar and side bolsters - which I don't have. I think it will be perfect for the seat heaters.... except that it is always hot.

So I got to thinking... I could replace this connector with a relay - use the pink/black switched acc. wire to operate the relay and problem solved... seat heaters would be keyed power. The big orange coming in is on a 30amp breaker, the seat heaters use 3-5amps each. Then I got to thinking some more, perhaps I should also take power off this new relay for the switch panel I'm installing. I'm kinda concerned that the little 16 or 18 gauge pink/black wire is not going to like running both a radar detector, gps, third switch and operating the relay.
The pink/black should be fine to operate the relay as all it is doing is energizing a coil to close the contacts for the heavier wires, What I would do is run the pink/black to each heater switch to power it then run the switch to the relay, use the relay is the switch to the heating element

quick and dirty diagram:
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 10-25-2013   #15
GOLDCYLON

I like the heated seat approach Robert especially where you live you need it. I went old school with custom sheepskins it does the job for me in AZ.

I agree on the bezel as unmolested ones are HTF. I had the luxury of being able to carbon fiber mine as it was already trimed for the radio. If mine had not been pre cut using a stock one for your project just makes sense.

are you going with the hidden V1 display in the DIC? One of my best modding decisions and I know Andrew would still make you one. Any thoughts on the orange selfdimming LED compass mirror? You can see the hidden V1 display in my picture below with the rubber reset button and the bottom of the compass mirror

GC

GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 10-25-2013 at 09:12 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #16
-=Jeff=-

Locobob,

could you take a picture of the new wheel over the OEM wheel? I would like to see the size difference..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 10-25-2013   #17
Locobob

Quote:
Locobob,

could you take a picture of the new wheel over the OEM wheel? I would like to see the size difference..
The new wheel is 350mm or a bit under 14in, you can see that the center section is much less bulky so viewing the center cluster ought to be easier - currently with my wheel in the up position the bottom of the display is blocked a little.
Ron - I'm not too concerned about losing the airbag... it's 20+ years old so who knows if it even works anymore not to mention that airbag technology in the early 90's wasn't exactly stellar to begin with.

Last edited by Locobob; 10-25-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2013   #18
Locobob

Quote:
The pink/black should be fine to operate the relay as all it is doing is energizing a coil to close the contacts for the heavier wires, What I would do is run the pink/black to each heater switch to power it then run the switch to the relay, use the relay is the switch to the heating element

quick and dirty diagram:
Quick and dirty? I'll show you quick and dirty lol... this is what I was envisioning.

I'm looking at 8a 145-0

My thought was to use the lumbar circuit to provide power for all the accessories around the center console since its a much bigger wire than the little pink/black acc wire. Any reason this is a bad idea???

Last edited by Locobob; 10-25-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2013   #19
Locobob

Does anyone know where I can get a couple of these metal clips? They are broken off on my replacement bezel.

Old 10-25-2013   #20
Locobob

Working on getting my head unit lined up with the bezel, its kind of a pain in the *** since you can only get to one on the bracket screws without pulling the unit out of the dash. Basically its adjust bracket, slide into dash, put on bezel, note what direction things need to go, pull out, adjust bracket, repeat. I'm using the Metra install kit 99-3051, the brackets are plastic which isn't great but I think it'll work.