ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-15-2018   #1
Tripler

Wink ZR-1 Suspension

Hey guys and gals . I have been curious about the suspension in the ZR-1 specific cars . Do they have a slightly different suspension design than the stock C4 Corvette ? Or are they basically the same as any other FX3 suspension option in a C4 Corvette ?

Trip
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018   #2
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: ZR-1 Suspension

Spring rate might be a bit different, but they are the same
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018   #3
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Some have the "coil-over" system installed replacing the cross-over spring which some swear by and a few SWEAR AT!

I know Robert DeMarco speaks well of the coil-overs, but our local Bob Gillig didn't like them and reverted back to the stock springs. I value both of their opinions so that leaves me

Ami's Z has coil-overs, and mine does not. Someday I'll get up to NW IL and drive some of the twisties around Galena with her car. THAT SAID, I've NO complaints doing the DRAGON etc., on several MRs now with the FX3.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018   #4
-=Jeff=-

I am one that likes the feel of the car with Coil overs.. Rides quite well and works great with the FX3..

But all the stock components are the same essentially from narrow to wide body C4s.. with exception of some early 1990 ZR-1s with steel 1/2 shafts
but springs codes will vary, I know the front spring is different but not certain on the rear.
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018   #5
Tripler

I found this article tho .

www.ZR1.net

The nosebleed cost of the ZR-1 wasn’t just because of the LT5 engine. The ZR-1’s body widened from the doors back in order to cover what was then considered ultra-wide rear tires. Wheels, tires, and suspension were all upgraded to handle the 125-horsepower difference between the base 250-horsepower L98 and the LT5’s 375-horsepower. Corvette sales were almost half what they’d been in the mid-80s. Had the economy been better, and if Chevrolet would have been able to order more engines from Mercury Marine, the price would have come down.
Old 05-15-2018   #6
Ccmano

With the exception of the half shafts (aluminum instead of steel) and the brake lines (longer rear lines I believe) the components are all stock and were available on the standard C4. That said, they were the high end components of their time. FX3 shock system, J55 brakes, specific spring rates (that changed over the years) and sway bar thicknesses. Everything is interchangeable with a standard C4.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018   #7
Tripler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
With the exception of the half shafts (aluminum instead of steel) and the brake lines (longer rear lines I believe) the components are all stock and were available on the standard C4. That said, they were the high end components of their time. FX3 shock system, J55 brakes, specific spring rates (that changed over the years) and sway bar thicknesses. Everything is interchangeable with a standard C4.
H
Interchangeable yes but still , would the ZR-1 specific suspension have been considered its own suspension passed on to other type C4 Corvettes ?
Like GM adding optional extras to the regular C4's ? Is that what you are saying ?
Also , did Lotus design the suspension for the ZR-1 or was it just modded by GM for the extra width of the rear tires and increased engine weight of the LT5 ?

Old 05-15-2018   #8
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
Interchangeable yes but still , would the ZR-1 specific suspension have been considered its own suspension passed on to other type C4 Corvettes ? Nope, the suspension design started with the 84’
Like GM adding optional extras to the regular C4's ? Is that what you are saying ? Nothing, everything on the ZR-1 was available previously
Also , did Lotus design the suspension for the ZR-1 or was it just modded by GM for the extra width of the rear tires and increased engine weight of the LT5 ?
Lotus had nothing to do with the suspension, only the engine. It was all GM, weight of the engine was not a factor in suspension design, only suspension specifications.
Answers above. Don’t confuse suspension design with suspension specification.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018   #9
Tripler

Alrighty then . All cleared up . Thankyou very much Ccmano and you other guys for the responses .
Have a good one and hope to see some of you in BG this Wednesday ...

Old 05-15-2018   #10
USAFPILOT

there was the Active Suspension car! that was ZR-1 only, and 1 of 1.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote