ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-27-2014   #1
c4koh

Default Brake Line specifications?

Hi All,

One of my brake lines is fairly rusted (front driver's side, there's a cluster of 4 lines), and I want to replace it.

I have looked, but no success: does anyone have the specs for the steel tubing (is it 3/16" diameter?) and what flare nut specs there are (M10x1.0, bubble?).

Any advice appreciated, with thanks.

Steve

1992 ZR1
c4koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014   #2
WVZR-1

Default Re: Brake Line specifications?

Are your intentions to do just the single wheel? If yes, I would think in your area most would be familiar with Cunifer tubing for replacement brake and fuel lines. The lines to the wheels are 3/16 and M10 bubble is correct.

I believe that Classic Tube and likely others do kits for the C4 Corvettes. The only issue is the lines to the master on the ZR-1 with the stainless flex. Those are ZR-1 only. Can you buy just a "to the wheel" kit from the vendors? Never checked. Would they do a "to the wheel" kit package? Maybe.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014   #3
c4koh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Are your intentions to do just the single wheel? If yes, I would think in your area most would be familiar with Cunifer tubing for replacement brake and fuel lines. The lines to the wheels are 3/16 and M10 bubble is correct..
For now, yes, just the initial badly rusted line, but likely while in there will do others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I believe that Classic Tube and likely others do kits for the C4 Corvettes. The only issue is the lines to the master on the ZR-1 with the stainless flex. Those are ZR-1 only. Can you buy just a "to the wheel" kit from the vendors? Never checked. Would they do a "to the wheel" kit package? Maybe.
I was not aware of the lines being stainless flex, nor this being a ZR-1 specific setup... I wonder why they made these lines stainless flex, when regular rigid tubing would have likely done...

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the 4 (currently rubber, to be upgraded...) flexible brake hoses to the calipers, rather the steel lines underneath the vehicle (and in this case, a particularly rusty one beneath the driver's side wheel (where the 'J' begins to straighten out)...

In any case, M10x1.0, bubble and 3/16" is what I'd read but could not confirm - but thanks for the note.

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 10-28-2014   #4
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4koh View Post
For now, yes, just the initial badly rusted line, but likely while in there will do others...

I was not aware of the lines being stainless flex, nor this being a ZR-1 specific setup... I wonder why they made these lines stainless flex, when regular rigid tubing would have likely done...

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the 4 (currently rubber, to be upgraded...) flexible brake hoses to the calipers, rather the steel lines underneath the vehicle (and in this case, a particularly rusty one beneath the driver's side wheel (where the 'J' begins to straighten out)...

In any case, M10x1.0, bubble and 3/16" is what I'd read but could not confirm - but thanks for the note.

Thanks again.

Steve
The tubing to the wheel is NOT stainless FLEX. Follow the pipes from the master and you will come to the braided section of the supply lines to the BPM. Those are the LT5/ZR-1 specific pipes. From the BPM to the wheels everything is just like the rest of the C4's.
Old 10-28-2014   #5
c4koh

Thanks - noted.

For now, at least, it's rusted line that I want replacing - so I have the specs for that steel line in itself. Hoping that the braided stainless flex is in good condition (it should usually hold up better than the 3/16 steel, mainly as it's not as exposed to the underbelly and all of the elements...), but will check.

I appreciate your quick reply :-) - thank you!

Steve
Old 10-28-2014   #6
WVZR-1

Quote:
Thanks - noted.

For now, at least, it's rusted line that I want replacing - so I have the specs for that steel line in itself. Hoping that the braided stainless flex is in good condition (it should usually hold up better than the 3/16 steel, mainly as it's not as exposed to the underbelly and all of the elements...), but will check.

I appreciate your quick reply :-) - thank you!

Steve
Just remember the Cunifer spec tubing. That's very manageable tubing for bending that is DOT approved. Many maybe have their own "copper/nickel" spec tubing. In your particular location I'd think you'll have no issues. Metric bubbles are very easy also and the appropriate flaring tools aren't expensive either. You might actually be able to buy an appropriate length tube already done with the M10 and bubble. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2014   #7
c4koh

Thanks. I have been looking at a flaring tool, but also saw this:

http://www.clickonparts.com/Metal-br...?categoryId=-1

... but will either go a head with a ready-made tube with fittings, or buy the flaring tool - as you say, they're not too expensive anyway.

Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2014   #8
WVZR-1

Quote:
Thanks. I have been looking at a flaring tool, but also saw this:

http://www.clickonparts.com/Metal-br...?categoryId=-1

... but will either go a head with a ready-made tube with fittings, or buy the flaring tool - as you say, they're not too expensive anyway.

Thanks again!
Leave the kit mentioned alone, either buy a 10' length of the appropriate tubing and flare it yourself or maybe off the shelf product from a local auto parts store. It might be worth the call to see if a "to the wheel" package is available from some of the vendors. Buying a complete package you'd have just a couple extra pipes. I'd say it's going to be quite a task!