ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-11-2021   #21
AndrewL

Default Re: Brake upgrades

In my opinion, unless you are tracking the car, no. J55's do the job just fine unless you plan on doing repeated hard laps on a circuit. If you want the looks or the warm and fuzzy feeling of upgrading your car go for it though.
AndrewL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021   #22
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
In my opinion, unless you are tracking the car, no. J55's do the job just fine unless you plan on doing repeated hard laps on a circuit. If you want the looks or the warm and fuzzy feeling of upgrading your car go for it though.

I totally agree 100%. I did not feel I needed a brake upgrade until I tracked my car. Even with the best pads and fluid, the stock brakes could not handle the abuse all day at the track. I do like the looks and warm and fuzzy as a plus on the street though.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021   #23
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
I hear but I don't 100% agree with this statement. My decision was guided by the stroking out of my motor to including full porting including the heads, injector housings, plenum, air horn and TB, Jeal headers etc. These mods required superior cooling, superior braking etc because the engine went about 135hp beyond stock.

However I do agree if the car is stock and your not tracking it the J55s are fine. But performance can also have bling. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021   #24
Matt B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
But performance can also have bling. GC
Amen, brother! What a true statement!

Sent from my SM-G991B using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021   #25
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
I totally agree 100%. I did not feel I needed a brake upgrade until I tracked my car. Even with the best pads and fluid, the stock brakes could not handle the abuse all day at the track. I do like the looks and warm and fuzzy as a plus on the street though.

Upgrade the pads.
Stainless lines and the DRM upgrades.
Make sure all else is as it should be.
Anticipate the stop / slow-down by being prepared.
And yes the J55's will handle most all needs of street driving.
Auto crossing is also well within their capability.
Track?
Doug Rippie tracked it successfully with that setup.
How many still see track duty?
A howitzer is not required to blow out a candle unless of course you want to make a real show of it.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021   #26
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Brake upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Upgrade the pads.

Stainless lines and the DRM upgrades.

Make sure all else is as it should be.

Anticipate the stop / slow-down by being prepared.

And yes the J55's will handle most all needs of street driving.

Auto crossing is also well within their capability.

Track?

Doug Rippie tracked it successfully with that setup.

How many still see track duty?

A howitzer is not required to blow out a candle unless of course you want to make a real show of it.

Marty

Well, maybe so in the world according to Marty. I believe I am entitled to my opinion and who are you to counter my thoughts? I don?t care what Doug Rippie did or your experience. My car also had stainless braided lines and bias spring. All I?m saying is I spent the day at Laguna Seca and decided ?I? wanted to upgrade MY brakes; as a plus they do look good and help braking performance no matter what, and regardless if needed or not. They were more than sufficient in their time and still now to some.

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 11-14-2021 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2021   #27
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Well, maybe so in the world according to Marty. I believe I am entitled to my opinion and who are you to counter my thoughts? I don?t care what Doug Rippie did or your experience. My car also had stainless braided lines and bias spring. All I?m saying is I spent the day at Laguna Seca and decided ?I? wanted to upgrade MY brakes; as a plus they do look good and help braking performance no matter what, and regardless if needed or not. They were more than sufficient in their time and still now to some.

I welcome and respect your opinion, apparently quite a bit more than you do mine.
The majority of WOW upgraded brakes are on cars sitting at cars and coffee or at other shows.
Sure driving around all of those trophies could require more stopping power then the J 55's, but unlikely.
If your car has numbers painted on the doors, then by all means upgrade your brakes to the limit.
If it sees the track once every five years, spend as you wish.
If it never goes there; enjoy the looks you get.

Marty
Old 11-14-2021   #28
SAM/CH ZR-1

I am going with Mov'it. Mov'it is the only one to have developed 4 or 6 piston calipers that is precisely matched to the C4 braking system. It cost a bit more but is worth every cent. A hard braking pedal and easy to dose. C5 calipers have about 11% more piston volume than C4 calipers which is not ideal when you like to drive your Z fast and expect a immediate pedal response. For cruisers C5 brakes are okay.

DR.Z/LT5-Performance

1990 #1822 with 383 cui
SAM/CH ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021   #29
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Brake upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
I welcome and respect your opinion, apparently quite a bit more than you do mine.

The majority of WOW upgraded brakes are on cars sitting at cars and coffee or at other shows.

Sure driving around all of those trophies could require more stopping power then the J 55's, but unlikely.

If your car has numbers painted on the doors, then by all means upgrade your brakes to the limit.

If it sees the track once every five years, spend as you wish.

If it never goes there; enjoy the looks you get.

Marty

I understand from a lot of your posts that you are a know it all smart *** I got it. Your opinion could have been posted in general but you replied to my own thoughts. I guess I?m not that kind of person. You are right about the car shows, show offs and I don?t know who those folks are you are implying about race tracks every five years. Ha ha! Funny guy. As long as everyone enjoys their own car is all that matters.

Craig

Old 11-14-2021   #30
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
I understand from a lot of your posts that you are a know it all smart *** I got it. Your opinion could have been posted in general but you replied to my own thoughts. I guess I?m not that kind of person. You are right about the car shows, show offs and I don?t know who those folks are you are implying about race tracks every five years. Ha ha! Funny guy. As long as everyone enjoys their own car is all that matters.

Craig

Craig,
For a moment I was sorry that you so misunderstood my initial post.
You should know that I was in fact agreeing with you.

However after your uncalled for snark, that moment has passed.

Before your fuse burns down, take the time to actually read the post.
Or not.
No matter.
Either way, your disrespect was uncalled for.
You are not the only one who knows these cars.
Marty