ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-07-2015   #1
MuRCieLaGo

Default 3rd gear doesn't feel as smooth as the other gears

Hi,

I just feel that the 3rd gear is a bit harder to get in, that there is obstruction somewhere half-way there. Only 3rd gear, not in any other gear.

I've just red http://www.zfdoc.com/faq.htm and it says

"Q) On my car I can power shift 2nd and 4th, but I'm having problems with 3rd. During normal driving going to 3rd does not feel as smooth as going to 4th or 5th. Sometimes I don't even feel like it went into gear. The shifter grabs third gear, but it feels like it is half way there, like it has an additional 1/8" of travel left to go, not like all the others gears where you feel the shifter securely engaging the gear. Third grabs, but you feel like the shifter did not go in all the way.

A) There may be an issue with linkage that is slowing down the actuation of the 3rd gear shift event. How is the "return to center" spring action of the shifter feel? This is how well the shifter springs back to the 3/4 neutral position when released from the 1/2 neutral position or the 5/6 neutral position. The return to center action should be quick and crisp. This return to center action is initiated by the mountain detent of the shift shaft (internal) and the ball detent (roller) and two springs located just forward of the CAGS bung. If the ball detent gets crud in it, the return to center action becomes diminished. This condition is of the easiest to correct. It requires a new Ball Roller($15), 2 Compression Springs($5) and less than 5 minutes to install once access under the vehicle is gained."

I seem to have that exact problem but the "return to center" springs seem to be perfect. He says that's a quick fix but doesn't really say how to do it.

Am I the only who is having problem with 3rd gear? It doesn't grind though.
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015   #2
MuRCieLaGo

Default Re: 3rd gear doesn't feel as smooth as the other gears

Well I think they all seem to be a bit hard finally. Will put some 5w30 from Amsoil!
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote