ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-15-2022   #21
Matt B

Default Re: Hello from Germany and a request for your opinions on a ZR-1

Marty, I think there are still people out there who are willing to go down that road, BUT:

- EUR vs USD has lost about 23% since I bought my ZR-1 in 2020

- Taxes have thereby implicately risen as customs and taxes are calculated based on USD values, current exchange rares and, worst of all, CIF. Both, insurance and freight are often paid in Dollars, too (even transportation cost resulting from relocations on US ground are considered...). So: more taxes!

- Europe is in deep ****. Germans, where probably the most potential buyers are located, is in the deepest ****. Skyrocketing inflation and a powerless central bank meets an economy that is heavily dependent from cheap (russian) gas. We're expecting stagflation (or already have it...), a massive wave of bankruptcies and slowly people start to understand, what that means for them: they will be in deep deep ****, too. People in deep **** don't buy fun cars but food.

- Gas prices have soared. As they did in the US. But you are now where we were before. In other words: here it's EXPENSIVE. I'm rather a relaxed driver but 1km (0.65mls) ZR-1 fun costs about 30 cents, c31 US. It's not fun and it's increasingly less affordable to run big engines here.

So... To my understanding It's just a matter of time that this market will crumble as German/European buyers will more and more retract.
My ZR would be about 12-15k euros more today to get it here. Only parts of it being based on the raise in prices.
Would I do it again at today's conditions? Certainly no...

Great news for you Merc and Beamer fans out there! There are great chances ahead for bargains! [emoji3]
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022   #22
Prez1967

Default Re: Hello from Germany and a request for your opinions on a ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post

Great news for you Merc and Beamer fans out there! There are great chances ahead for bargains!
Looking forward to getting a new daily! Been seeing some gems pop up over here that have been brought over from Europe... Giggity

As others have said... steer clear of basket case C4 ZR1s over there. It wont end well.

A Greek gentleman (actually German living in Greece) took on rebuilding/resto/modding a DeLorean in Athens a while back. I followed along and would share in his frustration as shipping delays and parts issues kept holding him back. Not sure if he ever finished the project.

Keep an eye out for the RIGHT car. You are lucky in that you can basically find a car in the region and have an AMAZING drive back home should it be a couple countries away.

We're always here to help you evaluate any potential purchases
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Prez1967 is offline   Reply With Quote