ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-02-2008   #21
Pete

Default Re: Secondary relay module questions

Jeff can you look into it and see what will it take to convert to LSx ignition.

Have you guys seen the price of our ignition module $1000
For that price it's either LSx way or MSD.

Maybe i'll sell my ignition module for LSx system.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #22
Aurora40

Default Re: Yeah, I see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman
The LT5 uses a "waste spark" system; two plugs are fired simultaneously from the same coil. So, there is only 4 coil primary charging circuits in our cars. To covert to the LSx with (I suppose) 8 charging circuits would be...interesting. But! I like the idea of having a safe harbor should the spark module crap out someday on my LT5.

I like the way you think, Jeff.

P.
Looking at the output of the crank and the ECM for advance, though, I believe there is info for every cylinder fire event. It just happens that the event will fire two plugs. So if some sort of device could work with the 9 slot crank wheel, feed the ECM the signal it needs, and use the ECM's advance signal to advance the spark, it would probably not matter how many coils it was hooked up to.

It would be awesome to have something to replace the ridiculously priced ignition module! Of course it would require new cam covers, and probably is totally infeasible, but something with no plug wires at all would really clean up the engine bay!
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #23
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Jeff can you look into it and see what will it take to convert to LSx ignition.

Have you guys seen the price of our ignition module $1000
For that price it's either LSx way or MSD.

Maybe i'll sell my ignition module for LSx system.

Pete
Pete,

http://www.eficonnection.com/coilper...tart_small.mpg

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/df...olled-gen.html

If they can make an SBC run, the LT5 already has the cam and crank inputs. Coil per cylinder has the advantages of tighter spark latency, more accurate timing across the board, shorter coil dwell, hotter spark because now it can be delivered quicker and with a lower inductance loss.
Its a significant reason why the LSx motors put out the power they do.
For our higher revving motors it would help top end.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #24
-=Jeff=-

It is the 9 slot that messes it up for the eDIST. but I know the eDIST would work using the ECM timing.. meanign the ECM timing out would feed the eDIST.

Also Paul, remember, the ignition module fires the 2 plugs, with a new set up, you would have a different ignition so the 2 fires per plug is a non-issue.

I will look into it, I am not sure exactly what would work though. I would need to look into it a bit more, maybe this winter
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #25
XfireZ51

=Jeff=,

We may want to check with RBob and Jeremy.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #26
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51
=Jeff=,

We may want to check with RBob and Jeremy.
Sure
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 08-02-2008   #27
8upZR1

Why don't yall forget the stupid LT5 crank wheel and just bolt a LSx style wheel to the front of the damper like a flying magnet setup? It will solve so many problems......
Old 08-02-2008   #28
8upZR1

Also, the little plugs in between the head and the valvecover, the one in front of the cams, can be cut to accept a ring seal. If you put a long ARP stud in the cam snout and bolt down the timing chain wheel with a nut & washer, you can have excess length go through the afformentioned seal-in-plug. This extra length can be used to mount a cam wheel in between 2 nuts. The first timeI tried it I had the threads on the stud turned down at the seal but it still leaked. On the second go around I just ran the stud as is and used a slightly larger seal. The threads on the stud acted like a power screw and kept all oil inside the cover, no leaks.

With the cam and crank sensors located outside of the motor it becomes a matter of seconds to bump timing, replace sensors, etc. Another advantage would be that in case you swap to a different EFI system you can just bolt on the appropriate timing wheel.

I know it won't look 100% stock, but then again it wont look that way with LSx coils either.
Old 08-02-2008   #29
-=Jeff=-

8UPZR1

yes cold use an aftermarket part, but if there is a reasonable solution using the OEM then I am all for it.

I think the current Cam sensor could be reused, I don't think that has to change
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 08-03-2008   #30
8upZR1

I guess I can bring myself to understand your point, however, when I think of the LT5 ECM the only thing in my brain is this:
The LT5 came out in 90, ergo the ECM was engineered in probably '84 maybe '85. In 84/85 I was playing Comodor 64, or 8 bit Nintendo. Now its 2008 and I have out grown a comodor 64, and 8 bit Nintendo, and LT5 ECM.

I remember reading somewhere in the registry on a tech page that the early ECM can only resolve RPMs in 250 rpm increments. Like 0-250-500-750-1000. The newer LT5's supposedly read 20 RPM increments. Thats quite an improvement over 250, but is complete shite compared to the resolution of a F.A.S.T. ACCEL, BIG STUFF, MOTEC, etc. The engineers at GM really aren't to blame as they were working with shite to begin with. Even if its original, you cannot possibly argue that LT5 ECM holds a candle to modern EFI controls with modern microprocessors. Why defile your LT5 engine with the original ECM? It barely works, it breaks all the time, parts are impossible to find, it needs all sorts of $$$ ancillary equipment (IGN module), and is totally outdated. Take your LT5 ECM and put it in the box next to your Nintendo. Maybe in 30 years you can whip em out and let the greatgrandchildren learn about how hard we had it in our youth.

If you EBAY your ECM, PROM, IGN module, spare IGN module #1, spare IGN module #2, plug wires, coils, mount, wiring harness, secondary relays, etc. you will have plenty of cash for a F.A.S.T. + money left over to buy drugs. It makes sense to me at least.