ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-12-2017   #301
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Almost there, funeral this morning and then this afternoon a get together with friends. Trying to squeeze in whatever I can get done in between.
So some minor things to reconnect, put the battery tender on and battery had a full charge within a short time. Still have to touch-up some spots, but looking good for a early AM start tomorrow. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. We shall see......
Some updated pics.....close, very close.....lol

starting to look like a LT5 once again. Far from perfect compared to all of the great engines I have seen over the years, but clean enough for now, and still more to do!!!

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017   #302
Roadster

The LT5 is running once again in almost 4 months of down time. Started up tonight after I had to correct another oversight. Of course I installed the coolant pipe on the RS and forgot that the EGR tube goes under the pipe, not over it..... So drained some coolant and proceeded to get the EGR tube installed correctly.
Checked the TPS and it was set @.50v, so I set it @.54v, but now after the test drive it reads .56v which I am thinking is still within specs. I also removed the oil filter during the EGR install to get better access and ended up changing out the filter which I gave a slight fill up. So I go to start and set the IAC per FSM, and it starts up immediately, with no chain rattle. Run for 5 seconds or more, shut down the engine and restart after 10-12 seconds. Engine starts right up and then idles down to around 650 rpm's. IAC's at this time read 20 or so, give or take a few. While letting the engine warm up, I check the tire air pressure, fill with some air and I'm ready to go.
To me the engine is now idling perfectly. Proceed down the street and it feels good. The throttle seems to stick when pressing down, but I feel it's related to the "dag", more on that later. So now I am getting into it bringing up the r's and it is running great. Made multiple stops and the idle never once rose up to the 900-1100 rpm's that it was doing before.
Reading the Tech 1, my IAC's were around 10 when stopped, but when driving more and stopping more the IAC's came down more. At one time it read "0", but only that one time. After that it could read @ idle 6 or 4 or even 2, but usually 6 or 7 at a stop and idling. Now when stopped if I give it gas, the IAC's jump to 20 with no problem, then come down to 6 or 7 with my foot off the accelerator.
At no time, even with the IAC reading as low as it did, did the idle rise to the 900-1100 rpm range. In fact again, the idle is perfect to me. Tech 1 desired idle is 662 rpm's. My idle was from 637 r's to 652 r's all of the time tonight.
Now onto the "dag"....the throttle would stick at around 20% opening, and then open smoother after that. I think that the "dag" which appears to be quite sticky when in the closed position for any amount of time is what is causing this condition. I would imagine that the throttle needs more movement to "break-in" the stickiness of the "dag". So tonight I have the throttle in the open position with my plastic cap against the bore and the blade. We'll see what happens tomorrow when more test driving is done.
I know I may need more minor tweaks as I keep driving to get it dialed in correctly. But except for the throttle condition, it is fine for me.
I can't say it was exactly one thing that I did to correct the idle problem I had, as there were multiple items that were found and corrected while I was in there. I can say it felt real good and strong with tonight's drive. Felt very good to drive the Z again....
Also got a chance to use the new headlights tonight, very bright and very satisfied with them....

I would like to thank everyone who replied with advice and suggestions. Along with the people whom I had texted back and forth and had many phone conversations with during this time. It was very much appreciated, and again......Thanks....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 08-13-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2017   #303
Ccmano

Congrats on successful completion!
H

90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017   #304
mgbrv8

Well done buddy great work

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017   #305
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Congrats on successful completion!
H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbrv8 View Post
Well done buddy great work

Dave
Thank you, thank you!!! appreciated.... but not quite done yet. I still have those minor tweaks to do and have just been informed that the min-air and TPS need more adjustments. This was also mentioned in another thread about making these adjustments when installing the TB.
From what I understand is that my IAC's are still to low @idle. They should be between 15-20 or slightly higher @idle. And along with that, the TPS will need to be set @.54v again. So it's a back and forth adjustment that's needed to dial everything in properly.
I also failed to mentioned that the "dag" that I used, the instructions called for baking in the oven at very high temps for a certain period of time to make the "dag" cure. I did not do that, not in the kitchen oven....lol baking chemicals....so I am hoping that it will cure over time on its own and with use from driving the Z. Right now the throttle issue is minor to me, as I want to get the TPS and min-air adjustments correct that way my IAC's will be where they should be.....other than that, when those secondaries opened up earlier, it was go, go, go!!!
And so far, no coolant leaks and the bleeders work very well!!!

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 08-14-2017   #306
Roadster

Did some adjustments tonight and here is where I am at. I did not at this time go through the other recommended procedure when adjusting the IAC and the TPS.
I made a slight adjustment on the min-air which resulted in a slightly higher idle around 725 rpm's. I then adjusted the TPS @.54v but ended up with .56v. I left it there for the test drive. IAC's were around 20 @idle but then after driving stop and go, they started to come down and eventually ended @"0" for idle once again. Also at no time did the idle raise to the levels they were from before, so that is good.
Now when turning on the AC, the IAC's increase, which they should. They went up to 25 count and pretty much stayed there with the AC on @idle. Now when I shut the AC off, the IAC's drop as they are supposed to, but this time they do not drop to "0", @idle they drop to a 7 or 6 count and stay there. Performed this test a number of times, and got the same results. Also the idle dropped down to the 650 rpm range like before. So other than the throttle sticking "dag" problem, the engine is running great.
My questions are....
1-did I energize something by putting the AC on, which in turn triggered the IAC counts not to drop back to "0" when the AC was shut off and then remain at the 6 or 7 count @idle?
2-is there a chance there is a defective part, (IAC is brand new) which is causing this condition?
3-I imagine I need to follow the procedure that Dominic posted sometime ago to its full extent for a proper calibration.

Again, the idle is perfect for me. No matter how many times I came to a stop, (I know I keep repeating this) it never rose up to the 900-1100 rpm range as before. I feel lucky to have the idle under control. And I am assuming that is was either one or a few items I addressed while under the plenum....

Any thoughts or info is appreciated.......thx....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 08-14-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2017   #307
S.hafsmo

I thought it wasn't supposed to go to zero at idle? Zero would mean it's cannot close further, and thus no longer controls the idle (=air leak)?
Old 08-14-2017   #308
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
I thought it wasn't supposed to go to zero at idle? Zero would mean it's cannot close further, and thus no longer controls the idle (=air leak)?
It's not suppose to go to "0" as you mentioned...I just don't know why it did and then after using the AC it went to 6 or 7. In other words why did it go to "0" to begin with is the question.....obviously something is not right, but it idles great......

Late update.....just had a long phone conversation and have a better understanding of my situation. I'm on the right track, just need to make some more minor adjustments with the TPS and min-air. I'm almost there.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 08-14-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2017   #309
nelson007

Looks great.

Nelson

1993 #124 Ruby
1994 #??? Red/Black
1995 #061 Black/Red
2012 ZR1 Preproduction
nelson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017   #310
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson007 View Post
Looks great.

Nelson
Thanks Nelson, appreciated.....still have much more to do, but it is better than it was......

BTW, send you a PM recently, hope you check it out......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member