Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-09-2021   #11
secondchance

Default Re: Brake upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8nightman View Post
6 piston front 4 in the rearAttachment 16696

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Wilwood did not have a kit with parking brake for the rear when I did mine. This is more clean solution.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021   #12
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Wilwood 6 pistons up front and Wilwood 4 pistons rear with Mr. Parker?s parking brake set up.
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24546
Same here but I went with the street shop parking brake solution vs Mr. Parker. This also allowed me to retain the parking brake option as well.

GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 11-10-2021 at 02:00 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021   #13
Matt B

Stupid question maybe, but can "Without breaking the bank" and "Wilwood 6 Pistons" be cramped into the same sentence?
My perception (but not experience) of Wilwood is that they make amazing stuff but also charge a hefty premium for their plug'n'play solutions. Out of curiosity - what financial frame are we talking about?
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021   #14
secondchance

Without checking the current price and additional bits and pieces, I guess roughly $4,000. Lesson I learned is it?s cheaper to do it once rather than interim solution followed by another upgrade. It all depends on where you want to take the car ultimately.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021   #15
Thomas ZR-1

I sell the C5 / C6 upgrade kit for the front on eBay here in Germany for many years now and I think there is no one who would step back to oem C4 ZR-1 front brake after installing this brakes. The main difference are the 50 % larger brake pads if you compare C5 / C6 with C4 ZR-1.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/334050662572...kAAOSwuhhXVYIj
Old 11-10-2021   #16
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Same here but I went with the street shop parking brake solution vs Mr. Parker. This also allowed me to retain the parking brake option as well.

GC
I did the C6Z06 upgrade including the Street Shop rear brake adapter. I know the C4 J55 were adequate, but there have been times I absolutely give thanks for having the Z06 brakes. They continually stop u sooner than you think you will and I love that extra margin for error.

I think I paid $700 for the F/R takeoff brakes w rotors and stock pads, $150 for front adapter, $700+ for Street Shop rear adapter.
Of course, this assumes you go w 18? wheels in front to clear the caliper.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 03-08-2024 at 02:09 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021   #17
Matt B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ZR-1 View Post
I sell the C5 / C6 upgrade kit for the front on eBay here in Germany for many years now and I think there is no one who would step back to oem C4 ZR-1 front brake after installing this brakes. The main difference are the 50 % larger brake pads if you compare C5 / C6 with C4 ZR-1.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/334050662572...kAAOSwuhhXVYIj
Thomas, great piece, great price! How do you maintain the balance of front versus rear brake force? Or will die ABS system sort that out? Sorry, maybe a stupid question but I never did a front only upgrade.

Any modifications to the master cylinder needed to cope with the new calipers?

Personally I see the waste of contact area (too small pads over a well sized disc) as biggest issue with that brake.

Sent from my SM-G991B using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021   #18
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
Stupid question maybe, but can "Without breaking the bank" and "Wilwood 6 Pistons" be cramped into the same sentence?
My perception (but not experience) of Wilwood is that they make amazing stuff but also charge a hefty premium for their plug'n'play solutions. Out of curiosity - what financial frame are we talking about?
Hi Matt not a stupid question. In my case I bought my front set Wilwood Narrowlights off of corvette forum for less than half than new. Also the street shop rear parking brake solution was also bought at about half price also at Corvette forum. However to be honest by time I was finished doing everything it was probably close to 3k but you have to piece it out over time to absorb the sting. You want big brakes it will cost you.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 11-10-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2021   #19
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I did the C6Z06 upgrade including the Street Shop rear brake adapter. I know the C4 J55 were adequate, but there have been times I absolutely give thanks for having the Z06 brakes. They continually stop u sooner than you think you will and I love that extra margin for error.

I think I paid $700 for the F/R takeoff brakes w rotors and stock pads, $150 for front adapter, $700+ for Street Shop rear adapter.
Of course, this assumes you go w 18? wheels in front to clear the caliper.
Yep if you are on a budget and have the 18inch wheels this is the Way to go Dom. However I was not letting my 17 inch FIKSE FM5s go so it was a bit of a challenge to piece everything together to fit.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 11-10-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2021   #20
Thomas ZR-1

To all our friend at the other side of the Atlantic Ocean: you are lucky in the US! You are allowed to install what ever you want on a Z...but un fortunately not so in Germany. Today it?s nearly impossible to pass the 2-yearly technical check (by law!) at the German T?V with none oem parts such as Wilwood brake, aftermarket rims or what ever. It?s getting more difficult day by day.

@ Matthias: I have BIAS springs for the master cylinder to get the fitting brake power to the rear